Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ambient albums of all times?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Got a copy today in Spindizzy, looking forward to listening now tonight with a well earned glass of red wine after a poxy hard day!

I'm not being biased here, although it might sound that I am, but I think "Tales From The Igloo" is one of the finest electronic albums I've ever heard.
    The sheer scope, depth and panorama in the lp is stunning.

What did you think of it on first listen btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I had Brian Eno's Music For Films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_Films) on this morning. Just.. amazed really, Music Boards of Canada and The Aphex Twin should be paying him royalties on a daily basis..

How.. ambient? can there be a mix of styles? To balance out Eno's niceness, I'd be tempted to put Throbbing Gristle's 20 Jazz Funk Greats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Jazz_Funk_Greats) on every so often, just to clear the air (and the room) a bit.. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'm not being biased here, although it might sound that I am, but I think "Tales From The Igloo" is one of the finest electronic albums I've ever heard.
    The sheer scope, depth and panorama in the lp is stunning.

What did you think of it on first listen btw?

It's absolutely spectacular - genuinely blown away by it on first listen last night! I was sorting through some CDs and had this playing and several times had to stop what I was doing to just listen.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    It's absolutely spectacular - genuinely blown away by it on first listen last night! I was sorting through some CDs and had this playing and several times had to stop what I was doing to just listen.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Yeah, it's that kind of album. If there was a Mercury Prize for Irish Electronic Music he'd win it in my opinion.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Yeah, it's that kind of album. If there was a Mercury Prize for Irish Electronic Music he'd win it in my opinion.

Definitely - the question is, will this release get the recognition it deserves in the world of electronic music? Just in terms of label distribution and access to the music in other countries such as the UK, US and all the 'bigger' markets?

• Advertisement

On round three now with this CD and it certainly is an album that will be up there with the best - I rarely play a new album three times in a week let alone over a 24 hour period!

I can definitely hear Biosphere, later Black Dog (say around 'Silenced' era), David Moufang, Namlook, Autechre etc - but all in one over the complete album which is an amazing accomplishment, it all sits together perfectly and ends with me wanting to play it again!

Sorry mods actually, dragged this a bit off topic over the last few posts!

You're right about the album in all that you say. It is one of those ones that you find yourself putting on again and again just to inhabit that world away from this one for a while. For those who want a taste, I uploaded this as an example a while ago.... (oh and the art work was specially commisioned by Mick from Jeroen Advocaat who has previously worked on a lot of stuff for the label, Sending Orbs (Kettel etc))

You're right about the album in all that you say. It is one of those ones that you find yourself putting on again and again just to inhabit that world away from this one for a while. For those who want a taste, I uploaded this as an example a while ago.... (oh and the art work was specially commisioned by Mick from Jeroen Advocaat who has previously worked on a lot of stuff for the label, Sending Orbs (Kettel etc))

I had thought the artwork looked similar to that of both 'Will I Dream During the Process?' by Yagya and also the new 'Myam James 2' by Kettel. Lovely stuff, really good artwork on all of them - great label too, Sending Orbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Love Brian Eno and Harold Budd's Plateau Of Mirror, especially the first song. Also love Harold Budd's Pavillion Of Dreams.
    One of my favourite ambient songs of all times though is this one from Autechre's 1995 E.P Garbage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB4S7BP6KWo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

I quite like Grouper as well; Liz Harris from Portland with guitar and vocals totally drenched in reverb. Unintelligible and nice, but my favourite record of hers is her latest, Dragging a Dead Deer up a Hill, which keeps the reverb but lets the music penetrate through more. There are actual SONGS on this record. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Frozen North by Radio Massacre International.

Advertisement