Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need pinch out new shoots to encourage Tomatos

Options
  • 04-05-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Bought some Tomatoe plants (Alisa Craig), attempting to grow outdoors.

Do I need pinch out new shoots to encourage fruit, not sure which shoots to pinch out. ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

k123456 wrote: »
    Bought some Tomatoe plants (Alisa Craig), attempting to grow outdoors.

Do I need pinch out new shoots to encourage fruit, not sure which shoots to pinch out. ?

The short answer is no. Left to their own devices they should produce good fruit if they have a sunny position outside. In my first year of growing tomatoes (two years ago) I did just that, and I got plenty of tomatoes.

However, last year I wanted to grow in pots and up canes because my garden is small, so I pinched out the side shoots to encourage the plants to grow high. This approach also produced plenty of fruits despite the poor summer last year.

To identify side shoots, imagine your thumb is the trunk (stem) of the plant, and your first finger is the stem of a leaf growing from the trunk. Right where your thumb meets your first finger a shoot will start to grow - these are side shoots. I wait until they are long enough to get hold of, and then pinch them out.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i always do, and i get a good healthy crop.

with the Ailsa Craig variety you should get a decent crop anyway as they are pretty foolproof.

Just prick out the side shoots though. Sometimes as the plants develop you can find it hard to differenciate what is a side shoot and a growing main shoot. Don't worry about thst, if in doubt leave it be.

I can be handy if you do a quick check once or twice a week, that way they don't go mad on you.

Advertisement