Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost power in garage conversion

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Have converted our detached garage to a study and has been fine but going in to work after couple of days away there is no power at all. the main trip switch in the garage has not tripped and returning off/on has no effect. does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Where is the garage board fed from? I would guess the main distribution board in your house. Check all MCBs and RCDs here are on. Sometimes they look like they are on, but are off. Turn them fully off and then back to the on position.

Perhaps there is a fuse in the board(s) for the garage supply that is blown. Check this also. If you are not 100% happy with how to do this get an electrician to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pixcil

Thanks for the info and shall try turning off all the mcb's etc in house when wife has finished with computer! The power for the garage (as far as I can tell) comes from a small box which is on the outside of our house, the cable comes out of this directly into the ground and under lawn to garage. This box, I presume is connected to the main board in the house ? or direct into the outside box where the mains comes in? I can't see any fuses in the board(inside) that are anything to do with the garage power though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This box, I presume is connected to the main board in the house ?
    It should be fed from a main distribution board, which would generally be the main board in your house.
    or direct into the outside box where the mains comes in
    It should not be fed directly from here.
    I can't see any fuses in the board(inside) that are anything to do with the garage power though.
    There should be at least 1. This would be the main switch fuse that contains a main fuse for the main board. This is a regulation. The modern switch fuse unit may not look like something that contains a fuse to the untrained eye.It should look like this:

switcheti1.jpg

Perhaps you were looking at it and could not identify it. If you have more than one of these in the main board there is a good chance that the second one is for the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pixcil

most helpful.Thanks alot for the input. have tried everything and still no joy so calling a sparky. again, most grateful for your help.
    M

No bother.
    still no joy so calling a sparky
    Sometimes you have to! Perhaps it would be good to get him/her to identify each MCB in the board for you too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement