Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March To Support Victims Of Gangland Crime - Sun 10th May

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:20am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The family of Roy Collins, who was murdered last month, is organizing a march through the city and is asking for as many as possible to attend in support of victims of gangland crime.
    The family of Roy Collins - who was shot dead in Limerick last month - have confirmed details of a march in support of victims of gangland crime.

It will take place this Sunday in the city, just over a month after the 35-year-old businessman was killed at his premises in the Roxboro Shopping Centre.

The march is set to begin at Perry Square at 3pm, making its way to City Hall, and those attending are asked to wear red as a mark of solidarity.

Roy's father Stephen Collins has called for as many people as possible to turn out.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/march-to-support-victims-of-gangland-crime-409328.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 truerenew

I really hope people turn up for this march. I think it's a great idea. I'm not from Limerick just recently moved here but I'm surprised at the lack of outrage by the people of Limerick to these crimes. Hopefully I will be shown otherwise next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

truerenew wrote: »
    I really hope people turn up for this march. I think it's a great idea. I'm not from Limerick just recently moved here but I'm surprised at the lack of outrage by the people of Limerick to these crimes. Hopefully I will be shown otherwise next weekend.

They will need to advertise this heavily. The Limerick coordination office should get involved, along with local media. If there isn't a big turn out for this it will reflect very badly on the people of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If there was a forum for individuals or groups to put forward their solution, I be all for it. Scientifically proven, all the better

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

Hopefully there will be a good showing to support the family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i can genuinely say that i dont think this march will change anything in the slightest. Its not like awareness of the problem needs to be raised. The type of scum you're up against however are the type who will make it their business to go down to this march and let peope know that they're not afraid of anything that these marching people could do to change what they do.

I wont be there and dont know anyone that will be there however if someone wants to set up a vigilante group then i'm in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I won't be there anyway. I'm close to one of the houses on nearly a daily basis. What if I go to that protest and I'm spotted? I don't want to risk it to be honest!

Baldie wrote: »
    I won't be there anyway. I'm close to one of the houses on nearly a daily basis. What if I go to that protest and I'm spotted? I don't want to risk it to be honest!

exact reason why many wont be going cos limerick is so small man you're right too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

so what if your close to a house?im sure your a decent person baldie and doubt you have any dealings with these scumbags.would you say hi to these people on the street?if you dont mix or interact with these scumbags you should be sticking up fo your area.so what if they see you....doubt the scummers will go down to the march and if they do everyone should just make a peaceful protest.why is the media not pushing this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I can't. I'm washing my hair that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Ridiculous idea. I don't see what this march is going to achieve.
    Anyone marching in it will still be victims of gangland feuds afterwards & anyone it is targetted at, the criminals themselves, will be laughing at the good of it. These criminals have no respect for a human life so do you honestly think an organised march is going to stop them in future?
    This will be nothing more than a chance for local councellors to get a picture taken & maybe get to say a few words on the news.

A far more effective approach would be to get a picture of all the victims, write a few words about the person, what they meant to everyone, the loss they have left behind & send it to Willie O' Dea. Safe, effective & far more impact than walking the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

here is a chance to finally stand up and be counted. to take back our city and show these scumbag CRINIMALS that they are not in charge. by protesting tommorrow it wont make them stop!!! but what will happen is we get national coverage. maybe international coverage. once the message is out there saying that Limerick people are been held captive by the fear of the house down the road or the scumbag that drinks in the pub next door.

there never was an honest crinimal. all gangs should be made illegal. all day today there is talk by national ministers saying we need to change the legislation to tackle these gangs by treating gangs as terrorists.

Real IRA (RIRA), Red Hand Defenders,C-IRA, R-IRA, Orange Volunteers, Loyalist Volunteer Force, Al-Qaeda, Eta, Armed Islamic Group (GIA), The Salafist Group for Call and Combat (GSPC), Khmer Rouge/The Party of Democratic Kampuchea, Manuel Rodriguez Patriotic Front (FPMR), National Liberation Army (ELN)—Colombia, Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), United Self-Defense Forces/Group of Colombia (AUC-Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia), Al-Jihad a.k.a. Egyptian Islamic Jihad, Jihad Group, Islamic Jihad, Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya (Islamic Group, IG), Zviadists, Revolutionary Nuclei (RN) a.k.a. Revolutionary Cells, fine fail(ok not really but they should be here 2:))

all of the above are recognised terrorist organisations. there are obviously alot more but im tired of typing and this is sufficient in making my point.

all of the above have reasons for killing. so do gangs in ireland. different reasons to "freedom fighters/terrorists" but either way they cause terror to a degree that people living near them cant speak out. i challenge anyone to give me an honest to god reason for not showing up tomorrow and i dont wanna hear scummy answers like "i couldnt be bothered" opr "whats it got to do with me".

if we dont stand up and let our government know we want help, then we wont get it. possibly ever!!!

the march is on this sunday the 10th at 3pm leaving from perry square. we will all march from there to the city hall. there will be huge media and political presence. dont leave us down limerick. show your support for the Collins family. show your support for the Geoghegan family. show your support for everyone you know who has been bullied out of school, homes, been beating up in town at night, been mugged, had there parents/ grandparents verbally abused, been intimadated into not walking down certain streets or made to feel you have to cross the road to avoid confrontation. just show support. please the gangs cant take us all on so dont be afraid

as far as setting up a group is concerned i was warned here about saying stuff like that before just before ya get banned or something. its something ive talked about but dont know if it could work.

when a vigilanty breaks the law to stop the people who are breaking the law. who stops the vigilanty from breaking the law??? but groups like that can only be started at the infamous anarcist meetings like the one a few months back:) anarcists meeting!!!! irony

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am curious to see if certain politicians and ministers ,who are great for giving sound bites, getting their faces into the paper, and making promises of swift action after shootings, will be showing up and walking with those there, or will it be the usual case of a quick picture for the paper at the start or end of the march.

I can totally understand why people who have to live near these scum would be wary of being seen, but those with the power to make actual changes should be there, and I include members of the gardai and judges in those that should be present.

There should also be a garda presence at this so that if there are any attempts of intimidation on the day from the local scum that the Gardai can act on the spot.

There does seem to be a lack of vocal support for this from those in power that is a little concerning, especially in the light of events like the attack on three garda cars last night in St Mary's park, with one getting burnt out and the tyres on the other two getting slashed.

I do fear that in another few months that the horrible events that have sparked this walk will happen again to another innocent, and the same old lines will be spouted in the media about tougher laws, longer sentences etc and nothing comes of it again.

After Shane Geoghan (sp) was murdered, we were told that laws would be fast tracked through, and that existing laws would be enforced more rigidly. Then Roy Collins gets murdered and again we are being told about a law being fast tracked and talks about a law making gang membership illegal, and again there was talk about enforcing current laws.

Then we get to see Anthony Casey, who was involved in at least six recent robberies and was also involved with the car that rammed a garda car and put two gardai in hospital, walk out of the courtroom on bail, despite having a violent criminal record as long as I am tall, and despite being out on a suspended sentence already.

It really it hard to have any faith in our system of law when these things happen over and over without any clear sign of strict punishment for the wrong doers, yet on the flip side, a person brought up in court for the non payment of a tv licence can get a stiffer punishment. There is something really wrong with a system where this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Kess73 wrote: »
    I am curious to see if certain politicians and ministers ,who are great for giving sound bites, getting their faces into the paper, and making promises of swift action after shootings, will be showing up and walking with those there, or will it be the usual case of a quick picture for the paper at the start or end of the march.

I can totally understand why people who have to live near these scum would be wary of being seen, but those with the power to make actual changes should be there, and I include members of the gardai and judges in those that should be present.

There should also be a garda presence at this so that if there are any attempts of intimidation on the day from the local scum that the Gardai can act on the spot.

There does seem to be a lack of vocal support for this from those in power that is a little concerning, especially in the light of events like the attack on three garda cars last night in St Mary's park, with one getting burnt out and the tyres on the other two getting slashed.

I do fear that in another few months that the horrible event that have sparked this walk will happen again to another innocent, and the same old lines will be spouted in the media about tougher laws, longer sentences etc and nothing comes of it again.

After Shane Geoghan (sp) was murdered, we were told that laws would be fast tracked through, and that existing laws would be enforced more rigidly. Then Roy Collins gets murdered and again we are being told about a law being fast tracked and talks about a law making gang membership illegal, and again there was talk about enforcing current laws.

Then we get to see Anthony Casey, who was involved in at least six recent robberies and was also involved with the car that rammed a garda car and put two gardai in hospital, walk out of the courtroom on bail, despite having a violent criminal record as long as I am tall, and despite being out on a suspended sentence already.

It really it hard to have any faith in our system of law when these things happen over and over without any clear sign of strict punishment for the wrong doers, yet on the flip side, a person brought up in court for the non payment of a tv licence can get a stiffer punishment. There is something really wrong with a system where this happens.

you my friend are correct. i would only echo your veiws.i just hope that after this march some kind of action will start. at least if its just a step to resolving this, it would be worth it. it seems there will be huge garda presence anyway tomorrow and everyone marching is on one side. id like to see these cowards intimadate us tomorrow. but in truth some1 might get intimadated in the future but we gotta at least try. lets not leave terrorism win.

when we are afraid they win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

A lot of good intentions in this thread but I have to be honest and say that some of you come across as being unbelievably naive.

The best the march can hope to achieve is comfort the families of the victims, a show of support.

The gangs don't give a toss about marches like this. They act like they are untouchable and by and large they are, sad but true. They are not afraid of anyone, they are not afraid of the guards, the courts, the judges or prison.

We shouldn't have to march to highlight anything, the whole problem has been discussed across the nation for years. Nothing effective has been implemented by the government - NOTHING BUT SLOGANS AND PROMISES. No politician has the balls to stand up and admit that the whole justice system is a joke and that judges/the law are hopelessly out of touch. Screw the human rights argument, where has that got any of the decent people across the country? I'll tell you - they sit in court and watch animals who murdered their sons and daughters laugh in their faces and walk after a life sentence - 12 years - an insult to the citizens of this country.

Nothing will change until the law changes drastically.

Life in jail should mean that you are locked up until the day you die.

Drug dealing should mean minimum 30 years.

Seriously injuring another person should mean 20-30 years.

I won't be going anywhere near this march, Limerick is not a city that you can be anonymous in and I know of too many people that ended up in hospital who thought different...or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Funny how you'll get a massive crowd on the street to watch a munster match on a big tv, yet people seem to have a problem marching to protest the muder of innocent people on the streets.

Apathy is a big contributary factor as to why this stuff continues, and judging by this thread, there is plenty of apathy to go around.

Limerick is a disgrace both nationally and internationally. It seems many don't have a problem with this, or if they do, are unwilling to do anything that may effect change.
    Stand up and be counted, or continue to be stood on. Take your pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'd happily march if I felt that it would achieve something other than allowing a few politicians swell up like toads for the cameras.

If the deaths of numerous innocent people can't bring about change then one march is hardly going to make the politicians get off their arse and DO SOMETHING NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Just saw the march go past my window in town. Very impressive crowd. well over a thousand people i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Actually I thought it was not that big a crowd, although no doubt the media will try and spin it into a crowd of a few thousand no doubt.

What was noticeable at two points were scum at the side of the road taking pictures with their mobile phones of people marching.

Fair play to all that turned up though, and in my eyes there is no slight on anyone who did not walk, as Limerick is a small place, especially if you live near any of the scum.

I was left with the feeling that it turned out to be no more than a soundbite for certain people though, and will be worthless unless there is a genuine follow up with regards to enforcing laws and bringing in either new laws or amendmensts to current laws. The only language the scum we have in this city will understand is being locked up when they commit a crime, and no joke sentences for those crimes. I reckon by the time the local radio station and papers report on this, it will be said to be a major message to the criminals and scum, and major backslapping will go on in some quarters. Sorry to be negative about it, but that is what I saw.

Maybe, just maybe, if people starting doing proper time for what they do, then it may over time become a deterrent to some of these scum, and even it does not deter them, at least long spells in prison keeps some of them away from the regular folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Was heading through town at 4:30ish and there was a massive blob of red outside the Locke and walking from that direction.

Fair play to everyone who went, my mother intended to go but lost track of time and didn't make it.

I think it would be a valid cause to start a campaign to have the Gardaí directed by the councillors in City Hall as opposed to the Department of Justice, but I don't hold out too much hope for someone in City Hall to champion that cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Kess73 wrote: »
    Actually I thought it was not that big a crowd, although no doubt the media will try and spin it into a crowd of a few thousand no doubt.

Limerick Leader: "More than 5,000 attend protest march in Limerick"
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/More-than-5000-attend-protest.5252219.jp

RTE: "Thousands take part in Limerick march"
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0510/collinsr.html

Indo and BN: "5,000 attend Limerick march"
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/5000-attend-limerick-march-1734731.html
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/huge-turnout-for-antigangland-march-in-limerick-410220.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Id say 5000 was pretty accurate tbh

cancan wrote: »
    Funny how you'll get a massive crowd on the street to watch a munster match on a big tv, yet people seem to have a problem marching to protest the muder of innocent people on the streets.

Apathy is a big contributary factor as to why this stuff continues, and judging by this thread, there is plenty of apathy to go around.

Limerick is a disgrace both nationally and internationally. It seems many don't have a problem with this, or if they do, are unwilling to do anything that may effect change.
    Stand up and be counted, or continue to be stood on. Take your pick.

if it was that simple sure we'd have sorted this out ages ago now wouldn't we :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

looked impressive, certainly a few thousand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

was not there but speaking to a few heads who were, a lot of people were very annoyed at the hijacking of this march by the "Catholic Defenders" kinda brigade. 2 men in a van with a loud speaker saying the rosary and women going to each person giving out Holy Mary Images.....this was NOT a religious event, it was not a Catholic event and these muppets basically hijacked it and according to my mate who was there, many people told them so too to their great disgust!! i hate that kind of crap! A throw back to JC McQuad and something like those pro life lunatics down in cork a few weeks back. I actually hate those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I at the conclusion, like many others, that vigilantism is the only way to sort these bastards out. I'm pretty sure the guards would turn a blind eye to it too. I would hope so anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

grenache wrote: »
    I at the conclusion, like many others, that vigilantism is the only way to sort these bastards out. I'm pretty sure the guards would turn a blind eye to it too. I would hope so anyway.

Oh yeah? Then why don't you stop saying so and actually fucking do something? Every day on this forum someone comes out with the "We need a Batman" speel. It's getting old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

RonMexico wrote: »
    A lot of good intentions in this thread but I have to be honest and say that some of you come across as being unbelievably naive.

The best the march can hope to achieve is comfort the families of the victims, a show of support.

The gangs don't give a toss about marches like this. They act like they are untouchable and by and large they are, sad but true. They are not afraid of anyone, they are not afraid of the guards, the courts, the judges or prison.

You're right that they are not afraid of this march, but that misses the point. It is time for the people of Limerick to say something, to stand up. Not that the gangs will recoil in terror from it, but to put pressure on the goverment to do something about it. Limerick needs much more of this. The government can't ignore mass demonstrations on a law and order issue and its helpful in terms of the redevelopment project not being cut.

I'm not from Limerick but have lived here for 7 years. Most of that time I've heard that as long as you're not in a gang, it's a safe place to live. What about the people who aren't involved who live in Southill, Moyross, Island field? They deserve better. And now three innocent people (maybe more) have now been murdered by these gangs. The apathy on this thread disgusts me. The march is obviously not going to stop the violence, but its incumbent on all of us to support these families. What does it take for people to stand up? It's only a march in town, its not like they're being asked to walk to the gang members front doors. This is going to be a long process and all these actions help. A necessary part of that is for people to stop living in denial. Limerick has serious problems. And don't give me that line about the media. Chris Rock said, when talking about media portrayal of black crime in America, "When I go to the atm at three in the morning, I'm not looking over my shoulder for the media".

Stand up, reclaim your city, or at least its reputation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Iang87 wrote: »
    if it was that simple sure we'd have sorted this out ages ago now wouldn't we :rolleyes:

It is that bloody simple.
    The main reason that this stuff goes on is that the vast majority of limerick people have turned a blind eye to it, and so long that it's no one they know who gets shot, ara sure what can you do.

The judges, politicians and housing authority have done nothing, because the people have not demanded it, and get more worked up about a united match, than people turning their city into a joke.

Advertisement