Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"undershot"

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

One of my dogs is undershot. What I mean by this is that her bottom row of teeth protrude about 3 or 4mm forward of her top row of teeth, at the front of her mouth. She's approx 1.5 years old and she's been like this since getting her from rescue centre. It doesn't appear to bother her much and our vet passed no comment on the condition when I asked.

What does everyone think?

(No braces or "train-track" jokes please ha ha)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It shouldnt bother the dog at all, unless you notice her having problems eating or something, lots of dogs can be undershot or over shot and it doesnt really make a difference unless you want to show the dog as it could be a fault in the breed standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

One of my dogs is undershot. What I mean by this is that her bottom row of teeth protrude about 3 or 4mm forward of her top row of teeth, at the front of her mouth. She's approx 1.5 years old and she's been like this since getting her from rescue centre. It doesn't appear to bother her much and our vet passed no comment on the condition when I asked.

What does everyone think?

(No braces or "train-track" jokes please ha ha)
    its not a problem ,a lot of breeds of dog are undershot-for inst the english bulldog -and that is part of standard for showing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

We had a malamute that was overshot, and she was absolutely fine, can eat normally, play etc, doesn't cause her any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

phew!!!! glad to hear it folks... she's very happy and isn't underweight so all's well then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

One thing you'll have to be aware of though is that she might develop dental issues at some stage. Its pretty common for under or overshot dogs to lose their incisors due to gum disease / receding gums or may have a heavy tartar build up. This happens basically because the teeth are exposed to the air all the time and not bathed in saliva which helps to wash away food particles or debris. It happened to my greyhound bitch who's overshot. When I got her she had really awful incisors at a young age, and needed to have some extracted. Will your dog tolerate daily brushing? It would really help her long term dental health.
    Other than that, its shouldn't bother her in the slightest, just keep an eye on the state of her gums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    One thing you'll have to be aware of though is that she might develop dental issues at some stage. Its pretty common for under or overshot dogs to lose their incisors due to gum disease / receding gums or may have a heavy tartar build up. This happens basically because the teeth are exposed to the air all the time and not bathed in saliva which helps to wash away food particles or debris. It happened to my greyhound bitch who's overshot. When I got her she had really awful incisors at a young age, and needed to have some extracted. Will your dog tolerate daily brushing? It would really help her long term dental health.
    Other than that, its shouldn't bother her in the slightest, just keep an eye on the state of her gums.
    never kiss a bulldog

ehhhhhhh, I don't believe I'm going to ask this but.... do we need toothpaste?

Haha, you can get special toothpaste for dogs, its usually meat or malt flavour. Don't use a human toothpaste, dogs can't spit, our toothpaste isn't designed to be swallowed.
    Any decent pet shop would have dog toothpaste. Or you could try one of those 'over the finger' brushes, easier for doggier to get used to it.

I'm going to get onto this.... Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

my little rescue terrier is undershot as well.......gives him real character:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dogs can't spit,
    ah jaysus it would be hilarious if they could.

Yeah, that's all we need, hair all over the house and the dog gobbing on the floor.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

my lleywellin is undershot. took her out for a run with a few other well bred and seasoned gun dogs at a fair and the other lads where well impressed until the had a look at her mouth and then more or less dismissed her. once there's nothing wrong with her nose and she can set a pheasent it doesnt bother me.

Advertisement