Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White lines and circles

• 04-05-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Just wondering everybodys views on the use of white lines and circles in advance of a shot whilst watching a match on tv,Virgo and Taylor are constantly doing it,I know theres an element of people sitting at home who probably enjoy this but surely the people at home should have the option on screen wheather they want this or not,theres nothing worse than the escape shot being completey obscured

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Just wondering everybodys views on the use of white lines and circles in advance of a shot whilst watching a match on tv,Virgo and Taylor are constantly doing it,I know theres an element of people sitting at home who probably enjoy this but surely the people at home should have the option on screen wheather they want this or not,theres nothing worse than the escape shot being completey obscured

I fail to see how shots are obscured??? You can see the cue ball clearly, even with the white lines on the screen.
    I have no problem with them whatsoever :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Nope, I find the telestrator a very useful tool (When used by the right people).

Dennis Taylor is very good with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I like it!

And hawkeye and the slow-mo camera.....wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I do agree to the use of it as it does add to the shot but I can't see why its any benefit whilst the shot is been played to leave it on screen,would it not be better to leave the screen clear and watch the escape shot been played uninterupted or at least give the viewer at home the choice of such options now that digital tv is so widespread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

celticfc wrote: »
    Nope, I find the telestrator a very useful tool (When used by the right people).

Dennis Taylor is very good with it.

Unfortunately ken doherty could do with a bit more practice. Every time he put up a suggestion the player played a different shopt entirely. Taylor on the other hand pretty much always has it spot on. In general i thought ken was pretty good on the commentary. better than bloody willie thorne anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

king-stew wrote: »
    And hawkeye and the slow-mo camera.....wow

Slow-mo camera was brilliant this year. Never realised the balls bounced around so much. And you were really able to see what happens during a kick. Great camera work.

I loved the camera shot they had coming down from the back of the theatre to look in over the players shoulder. Great BBC coverage this year. Anyone know why hazel irvine wasn't in the studio though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Unfortunately ken doherty could do with a bit more practice. Every time he put up a suggestion the player played a different shopt entirely. Taylor on the other hand pretty much always has it spot on. In general i thought ken was pretty good on the commentary. better than bloody willie thorne anyway!

willie thorn is a quality commentator, couldnt stop lauughing at him and ken yesterday

Willie : So what was your first car ken ?
    Ken : ermm toyota (something or other cant remember the name..)
    Willie : And did you wear a balaclava with that ?

I love those shot lines and the slo-mo cam is just amazing, watching the kicks/hops on the balls is just insane, youd never see it otherwise

Anyone know why hazel irvine wasn't in the studio though?

She's just after having a baby, she will be back for the start of next season (The Grand Prix).
    Great BBC coverage this year.

I'm not so sure, I'm dissapointed to be fair;
    • Poor evening network coverage (1 hour between 7 & 8) & also opening weekend coverage was almost non-existant.
    • Highlights show was much too late this year. It has always been at 11.20pm (After Newsnight on BBC 2) for many years now which is a much better time-slot.
    • The whole Clive Everton saga!
    • Lack of competitions/Good features

Ok, the live Red Button coverage was superb again, but overall they have done the job much better before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Tea Spoon

The white lines have never bothered me and in no way infringe on the viewing pleasure. Taylor is always quick to remove them too before the cue ball comes to rest.

Regarding commentary I remember quite recently Hendry doing a stint in the commentary box (can't remember which tournament) and found his insight and experience a pleasure to listen to. If or when he retires he would be a welcome addition to the BBC team I feel.

What exactly was the issue with Clive Everton this year? Was it just the final he wasn't allowed to commentate on and if so why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

theres so many snooker players and ex snooker players willing to do commentary nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if his contributions become less and less,Neal done quite well on the mike I thought

• Advertisement

Tea Spoon wrote: »
    What exactly was the issue with Clive Everton this year? Was it just the final he wasn't allowed to commentate on and if so why?

Loads of info in this thread here. :)

Advertisement