Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swearing around kids (your own or other peoples) ok or not?

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Right, reading the thread on most hated names,
    this came up;
    Collie D wrote: »
    Heard a junkie calling her kid the other day. "Brooklyn, come here for **** sake" Posh Spice she most definitely was not
    and it just made me wonder what are your views about swearing around kids?
    Would you do anything to prevent it and curse other people who swear around your kids?
    Or do you think its just a part of growing up and they'll learn sooner or later.
    when i happen to watch the supernanny or something simular there would be little 3 year olds calling their mums b*tches etc.
    How would you deal with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I dont do it, its common(i'm such a snob :)). I've a filthy mouth on me but draw the line at even saying feck in front of a child. Its not nice and if any of my nieces or nephews cursed i'd belt them one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

moved.

Don't swear aroundyoung kids.

No point giving them the habit. Sounds terrible coming from a kid.
    Hate hearing a little kid swear or be rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My dad's always had a theory that if he swore around me, then I wouldn't swear (I don't get it either).. to an extent it's worked because I'd never swear around family, but with mates I tend to f and blind, don't know why

However, whenever we go out (like for meals or anything) we try not to swear, I suppose to maintain some sort of decorum, but also out of respect - lots of people don't like swearing, we shouldn't have to subject them to it and play up to the obnoxious foulmouthed stereotype of 'kids' in the media.

Last time we went out, one of the lads swore next to a young family. When he realised, he went over to the Dad and apologised.. i think it's basic courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

thats exactly what i thought aswell,
    but if your children pick it up somewhere (face it, its inevitable)
    how would you deal with it?
    Rabies wrote: »
    moved.

Don't swear aroundyoung kids.

No point giving them the habit. Sounds terrible coming from a kid.

Hate hearing a little kid swear or be rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My 8 year old niece has been listenin to swearing since she was born and she doesnt swear at all, well not the bad ones... f*** sh** ******... she says eejit or dope the odd time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

My 8 year old niece has been listenin to swearing since she was born and she doesnt swear at all, well not the bad ones... f*** sh** ******... she says eejit or dope the odd time

I think she has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I don't curse around my kids but my girlfriend does occasionally which I have to constantly remind her about. She taught my 6 year old son "jacksie" the other day while trying to explain why he couldn't say some other curse word.

He called his brother an imbecile last week but that's just funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Only at football matches, but not generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

When I was au-pairing a few years back, the kid threw a tantrum at me in the bus-stop in her native language. She was shouting her head off at me but I didn't actually understand what she was saying. There was an elderly lady beside us at the bus-stop and she turned around, looking absolutely horrified, and said "Little girls should NOT talk like that!!"

That fairly shut her up.

I don't swear in front of kids, I don't want to be held responsible for giving them a bad habit. At least, I don't intentionally swear - an occasional 'feck' might slip through the cracks though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

They're going to learn it at some stage especially once they start school.

I try not to swear in front of children but with a teenager and preteen the odd one has slipped out, nothing too bad though.

My lads wouldn't swear that often at home as they know it will not be tolerated but there have been times when they're with friends and every second word out of the lot of them is a swear or crude word but I don't let them away with it.

I've met lots of parents over the years who think their darlings don't swear or curse but their children are well able to, they just do it out of earshot of their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Not ok. Not saying that I don't do it upon occasion, but I wish I didn't. I hate hearing children curse. My niece came home from playschool last week and said c*nt. One of the girls at school taught her that particular beauty. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Quackles wrote: »
    Not ok. Not saying that I don't do it upon occasion, but I wish I didn't. I hate hearing children curse. My niece came home from playschool last week and said c*nt. One of the girls at school taught her that particular beauty. Classy.

Oh god that's awful!! The c word is a horrible word and to hear it out of a child's mouth!! You just can't control what a child hear's from other kids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

don't curse in front of them until they are old enough to understand what it means and when it is and isn't appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You can not control what they hear, you should be able to control what they say.
    Cursing or using bold words is bad manners, in this house we strive to have good manners.
    Having good manners is not just please and thank yous it's also not behaving in a way
    which upsets other people, it's having consideration for others, so no cursing.

If they ask what a word means I will tell them, we did have the C word used just the once by my son
    at my daughter and by the time I was done explaining just how
    hurtful, rude, insulting and demeaning a term it is to use about a person who is female
    he cried for about a half hour and spent the rest of the evening being contrite.

I also believe that you can't teach children good manners with out being a living example
    I try to never curse in front of them and if it happens they will pull me up on it
    and I will say sorry for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

I'm a terror sometimes.
    I need to Kop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have never sworn in front of my kids, but have had the odd rant in my head sometimes :pac:

My 7 year old learned most of the swear words last summer. I don't make a big deal of it if one slips out, but I do tell him its not nice and I don't want that kind of language in the house. I reckon if I go overboard and make a big deal of it it will only make it more special for him............if that makes sense.

Recently he said "Mam, I feel the F word coming", it was sooo funny. He held out for a while and then said it and that was that. We do let him say "crap", but he we don't let him say it in school.

I do hate kids swearing, but usually they go mad with it when they are with their friends, and they ALL do it.

I really don't think adults should swear around kids, but adults swearing constantly is horrible to hear anyway. Everyone lets the occasional one slip out though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

One thing I have learned as a dad is that it is impossible to teach your child correct behaviour if you do not exhibit it yourself.

You set the bar for your kids. Your children will emulate everything you do and that will incude swearing etc.

Advertisement