Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine tripping switch

Options
  • 04-05-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Need some advice, Our washing machine has just starting tripping the switch, we (DP) have changed the amp in the plug in case it was that and its not so does anyone have any idea what might be causing it? We are heading away on holidays tomorrow and would be great to get it sorted today. Thanks thumbsup.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If this is a recent problem and the washing machine has been working fine for some time the cahnces are that water has leaked somewhere and this has caused the problem. So pull out the machine and look for bad water connections first.

To help me identify the problem please tell me exactly what has tripped in the board??
    Is it an MCB or an RCD??

This is what an RCD looks like:

RCD240_1.gif

This what MCBs look like:
    XWYNSB32.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

Hi
    Thanks for replying, its the RCD switch. I have cleaned out the filter too but no joy, any advice would be much appreciated thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

could be a heating element even or a pump/motor.what part of cycle is it tripping .also you can check for leaks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks for replying, its the RCD switch

Ok, that is a start.

The RCD operates because of a current inbalance. i.e. there is more current flowing down thae live than there is flowing back along the neutral. If this problem only happens when the washing machine is switched on or pluged in then the problem is with your washing machine and not the wiring in your house.

This problem is not due to a short circuit or an overload condition so shanging fuses or MCBs will not fix it.

The when an RCD operates with a washing machine 99 times out of 100 it is due to something eletrical getting wet. Even an electrical part being damp could be enough. I know you said you checked for leaks, but check again.

Is around the socket or plug wet?

Is the machine under warrenty?? If it is do not take it apart or the warrenty may be void!

2011 wrote: »
    Ok, that is a start.

The RCD operates because of a current inbalance. i.e. there is more current flowing down thae live than there is flowing back along the neutral. If this problem only happens when the washing machine is switched on or pluged in then the problem is with your washing machine and not the wiring in your house.

This problem is not due to a short circuit or an overload condition so shanging fuses or MCBs will not fix it.

The when an RCD operates with a washing machine 99 times out of 100 it is due to something eletrical getting wet. Even an electrical part being damp could be enough. I know you said you checked for leaks, but check again.

Is around the socket or plug wet?

Is the machine under warrenty?? If it is do not take it apart or the warrenty may be void!

Thanks again, and davelerave. We cannot see a leak but part of the wire is behind our cooker which is screwed into place so I cannot see it all. We are not going to get it fixed tonight but I am just a bit worried about heading off for a few days and leaving it. Should we turn off the electricity at the board?

• Advertisement

am just a bit worried about heading off for a few days and leaving it. Should we turn off the electricity at the board?
    I take it that you are now sure that the washing machine is the problem. In which case, unplug the machine, otherwise it may trip the RCD when you are away and your freezer may defrost all over the floor.

Enjoy the holiday!

2011 wrote: »
    I take it that you are now sure that the washing machine is the problem. In which case, unplug the machine, otherwise it may trip the RCD when you are away and your freezer may defrost all over the floor.

Enjoy the holiday!

Thanks, I forgot about the freezer! :rolleyes: I will unplug the washing machine and hopefully all will be well while we are away. Appreciate all the advice

No bother!

Advertisement