Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weights from home

• 04-05-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a decent book/website where I could find a decent programme to start doing weights from home? I've never really done weights properly before so don't really know where to start. Easy option would be to go to a gym and have someone there show me the ropes but there's a load of equipment in my parents house (long story) that I can take home so I might aswell take advantage of that.

I've already got a bike, cross trainer and rower and am doing a fair bit of cardio but i'm aware that I need to do weights too. There's some dumbells and a barbell and a load of discs so i'll be using those, do I need to get anything else? I don't really want to just start lifting them without knowing what i'm doing. Once I start something I generally throw myself into it so I may aswell do it right.

If this has been addressed before fell free to point me to a previous thread. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

A bench would help , maybe a set of squat stands , it all depends how much you want to spend

there are plenty of books out there that do "exercise at home" but really a barbell and dumbell are used the same way in a gym as at home

waht sort of barbell / dumbells are they and how much weight do you have ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

look for a book called the new rules of lifting.

it comes in male and female versions.

click here

thats a great read that speaks a lot of sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

There is a website called simplefit.org that I found really useful and the only piece of equipment you need is a chinning bar (and even then you can use an alternative) as it's based on bodyweight exercises.

It sounds and looks really easy when you check out the lower level routines, but it's a lot harder than it seems when you reach the 2nd week and try to beat you previous weeks best ... I guess like all workouts it's up to you to put in the effort.

Hygro.

Advertisement