Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stalker game:S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i see alot of people still bi*ching about buggs of first one...

i played it about 2 years ago and with all those patches it was playable, and havent noticed bugs at all. now it should be buggless...

And judging game, withouth even playing it, becouse you were not able to sort out instalation is just sad...

have huge hopes for this one, while i wait for it, ill get clear sky tommorow in town, as i had no chance to play it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

briany wrote: »
    It's not really a "The world is f**ked" work so much...

This is what I loved most about the games. The world wasn't any more f*cked than usual, but you, the player, certainly were. There's no rubbish about the world hanging in the balance, countless innocent lives at stake in STALKER. The only important life is the players, and the game is designed to make it tough for nobody else. With STALKER, it's personal.

You're stuck in a horrible wasteland where you'll die of starvation if you don't go looking for food, and looking for food will kill you even faster with carnivorous mutants, space-time anomalies and jerkface bandits. And the food is probably killing you with radiation poisoning, so you have to drink a truckload of vodka. Nobody will care if you die, and pretty much nobody will care if you survive and beat the game either.

Eastern European games seem have this intoxicating sense of nihilism and grim futility running through them. Not nearly enough games do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,935 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sarky wrote: »
    This is what I loved most about the games. The world wasn't any more f*cked than usual, but you, the player, certainly were. There's no rubbish about the world hanging in the balance, countless innocent lives at stake in STALKER. The only important life is the players, and the game is designed to make it tough for nobody else. With STALKER, it's personal.

Yes it's nice to have that pressure off lol. I haven't played enough Eastern European made games to feel the nihilism in them but I should hope they do it tastefully and don't go overboard with it unlike a certain film-based-on-a-book that came out recently. I think the STALKER series is one of the best implimentations of an open world shooter yet and the world that you are in really does feel hostile. Stalking through the marsh in the pitch black of night does feel quite scary and you really make an effort to head to your destination as soon as possible. It also integrates some RPG elements quite nicely and you are really forced to think about what you bring etc. I think it is the thinking person's shooter.

Sarky wrote: »

You're stuck in a horrible wasteland where you'll die of starvation if you don't go looking for food, and looking for food will kill you even faster with carnivorous mutants, space-time anomalies and jerkface bandits. And the food is probably killing you with radiation poisoning, so you have to drink a truckload of vodka. Nobody will care if you die, and pretty much nobody will care if you survive and beat the game either.

Eastern European games seem have this intoxicating sense of nihilism and grim futility running through them. Not nearly enough games do it.

acutally fair play to you bud to point that out.

I am from lithuania ( 5 years in ireland now hihi) and for stalkers enviroment is familiar to death... Lithuania is post soviet country, so we had all same biuldings, schools, shops, trains, train stations,cars, massive farms etc. but in stalker you see it after it was abondoned, destroyed...

Its sooo creepy.. for me personaly stalker was a great horror survival game, with memories of mine old country... Alot of western people might not understand the spirit of stalker, but for estern europe people it just undiscribable...

Stalker enviroment atmosthere is just moust amazing i ever seen.

And yes the wolrd in stalker does not wait for player, it lives on its own. It makes you feel even smaller bug in all this damn " hole".

alot of people need to give this game a chance. Original had a bad release, but alot of buggs are fixed. just give original a try, it costs feck all now anyway...

p.s. cant wait to play new one, while its night, storm,rain ( in game). It will be epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Stalker is possibly one of my favourite games of all time. Bugs bedamned. Patch 1.5 sorted out 99% of bugs int he game. Clear Sky was a bit of a let down, and sadly COP seems to have a metacritic average of about %70, but im still getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mind you, I'm assuming these dev-houses have a QA to begin with.

In America, foolish humans test the quality of the games
    In Soviet Russia, the game tests the quality of the human.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I love the STALKER games and think ShadowHearth summed it up pretty well it makes you feel like a small bug in a world that lives on it's own. The first one was great but made even better with the Oblivion Lost mod. I shall definitely be chicking out Call of Pripyat after it hits Steam, and several patches have ben released of course :pac:

Creature wrote: »
    I love the STALKER games and think ShadowHearth summed it up pretty well it makes you feel like a small bug in a world that lives on it's own. The first one was great but made even better with the Oblivion Lost mod. I shall definitely be chicking out Call of Pripyat after it hits Steam, and several patches have ben released of course :pac:

I don't think that bugs should be a problem this time though. I've played a little bit of the russian release and it ran amazingly smoothly to what I expected it to run like so it should stand to reason (famous last words) that they've had 4 months or so to tweak the worldwide release given that it has been ready since the russian release (they've been waiting for a post christmas window to maximise publicity for it's release or something) so any game breakers should not be there. I would've played the Russian version maybe but I just couldn't enjoy it with the Russian dialogue and the garbled machine translated text so I just said I'd wait until the English release. Glad I did now too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I must've started stalker on 3 or 4 different occasions but never got very far into it. The last time I played it I had an open mission waiting for me to an item to the guy in the bunker that I'd already given him.
    Is it worth playing with the Oblivion lost mod first time round or would it be too hard?

Yeah I've been there. I started it twice before I started playing it on the third time through. I got Clear Sky on a whim and really enjoyed that so I went back to the first one and got really into it. I'd say if you're willing to persevere with it you should go back. Never used Oblivion Lost but I've heard mostly good about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Absolutely loved the first, one of my all time favorites, cleared it twice, second time running the Oblivion Lost mod. Clear Sky wasn't near as good, all too samey, I got bored of the same story as the first and gave up half way through. The atmospehere the game creates is amazing, especially running around at night with a flashlight during a thunderstorm. I'll definitely be giving the next one a go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll definitely be getting it,love the stalker games.

guys i decided to install stalker again and put OL 2.2 mod when i try to unzip it with winrar it just drops 1600 errors!!!!

can you help me out with install of this mod?

so far i iinstalled freshly game and updated to 1.005v , weird is it says i have US version.....

redownlaod it from here

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Oblivion_Lost_22_for_1005;93039

if it fails to extract try using 7zip instead of winrar

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Anyone getting this?

I had it ordered from Amazon. They sent me a mail during the night saying it was delayed due to supplier issues.

ill be getting it next week :D

I got the special edition today,liking it so far anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Got it today, and only played a short bit. Only a few small changes from the earlier editions so far. Thankfully you start with an assault rifle now, rather than suffer the irritation of making do with a pistol.

One annoying bit is an early mission to collect a container from a car for Snag. Seems there no way out once you're done where the container is.

Spear wrote: »
    Got it today, and only played a short bit. Only a few small changes from the earlier editions so far. Thankfully you start with an assault rifle now, rather than suffer the irritation of making do with a pistol.

One annoying bit is an early mission to collect a container from a car for Snag. Seems there no way out once you're done where the container is.

there is bud, cave tunnel.

Got it yesterday aswell. Amazing! Good old stalker with great interface, hot keys and ather bits which really makes experience great.

I really dont whant to see poeple bi*ching about buggs... I played for awile and havent seen any yet... and if there are a few - get over it!

Love the new stalker jokes! :D You have to know russian languadge to undestand them...

Weapon customization is great, was really surprised how deep it is!

If you are a little girl that is afraid a bug or two in your game experience, and newer tried stalker, then this is the stalker to get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daemon1

Got it yesterday looking to be the best of the series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

there is bud, cave tunnel.

Where? The only tunnel I couldn't get into was a small opening that was too high to jump into.

Spear wrote: »
    Where? The only tunnel I couldn't get into was a small opening that was too high to jump into.

There is bud. 100%. i thought myself that there is none ;). you dont even need to climb it, just walk around all walls, you will see it bud.

I am hunting tools now, got only 1 set so far... trying to get ones from mills, but rate weird stuff happening there....

Did any of ye come across humans that walk like zombies?I started following 2 stalkers and they led me into this area with a house and all of sudden they start going crazy shooting at people and they were coming in from all directions and started shooting at us,it was cool but I got killed in the end......

Did any of ye come across humans that walk like zombies?I started following 2 stalkers and they led me into this area with a house and all of sudden they start going crazy shooting at people and they were coming in from all directions and started shooting at us,it was cool but I got killed in the end......

sawmill bud, i went there looking for tools, but i found all the zombieville... dont know if i got enought ammo....

sawmill bud, i went there looking for tools, but i found all the zombieville... dont know if i got enought ammo....

It was very cool :D.

It was very cool :D.

yeah, i started taking one by one, then sow all of them just "rush" on me, i was like: "right, bullets expencive, but mine arse is even more" :D

Thought one thing about stalker... i cant really use artifacts .... as soon as i put it on i just get such an radiotion lvl that i die quickly... got alot of them and all of them are unusable...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

yeah, i started taking one by one, then sow all of them just "rush" on me, i was like: "right, bullets expencive, but mine arse is even more" :D

Thought one thing about stalker... i cant really use artifacts .... as soon as i put it on i just get such an radiotion lvl that i die quickly... got alot of them and all of them are unusable...

The artifacts you get first really suck. Later on you'll get ones that have less radiation damage or find ones that give you a minus radiation value.

Where are you meant to hide when the emissions/blowouts happen?I tryed hiding in a ship but I got killed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Where are you meant to hide when the emissions/blowouts happen?I tryed hiding in a ship but I got killed anyway.

I think there are specific areas that you have to go to. They should be marked on the map.

Advertisement