Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're from NZ when..

Options
  • 04-05-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

*shameless copy & paste*

For anyone who is from the NZ and proud of it

You know you are from New Zealand because:

1. You eat Marmite not Vegemite
    2. You wear jandals no matter what time of year
    3. You know what Rotorua smells like
    4. You know Australia is just a big desert
    5. You know why Auckland is called the City of Sails
    6. You know why people from Auckland are called JAFAs
    7. If You are from Auckland you know the other meaning of JAFA
    8. You know why Students in Hamilton have to drink there is nothing else to do
    9. You know the Sky Tower is the tallest structure in the Southern Hemisphere
    10. You know at least three different names for Fish and Chips.
    11. You know that Pineapple Lumps and Jet Planes are awesome.
    12. You know where CANDYLAND is
    13. You know Pavlova came from New Zealand NOT Australia
    14. You know at least three people that work in London
    15. You know what a POM is.
    16. You know what Sir Edmund Hilary did and DAMN it you're proud of it.
    17. At least one of your relatives is a Builder
    18. You know what happens at 7 o 'clock week nights
    19. You have no problem going to HELL pizza
    20. The WAREHOUSE is where you can get anything.
    21. You know the LEFT side of the road is the correct side of the road.
    22. You know where the MOTORWAY starts and finishes
    23. You know when your cities Anniversary Day is
    24. You know what Waitangi Day is all about
    25. You can name at least one All Black
    26. You know how amazing sausage rolls are no matter how old you are
    27. You know in your town where to get the best meat pies
    28. You know you are from New Zealand because you call an esky a chilly bin and everyone else keeps asking you to say "six" and "biscuit" all the time
    29. You are in a photo somewhere next to a giant 'gumboot'/carrot. Probably both
    30. You have your photo next to a giant L&P bottle
    31. You (or your children) don't have to wear shoes at school.
    32. You call a vivid a vivid not an art liner or sharpie
    33. You know what "spitting the dummy" is and you know someone at your work that does it constantly.
    34. You know that there is more sheep that people in New Zealand.
    35. You know how to do the HAKA and if you get drunk enough you will perform it for foreigners.
    36. You use the words "cuzzie" and "bro" when talking to most relatives.
    37. You know more people that use BEBO than MYSPACE.
    38. You know who Tem Morrison is and why he was selected as Jango Fett.
    39. You know where Hobbiton is and you know it's real name.
    40. You know why Wellington is called WINDY Wellington.
    41. You know how to pronounce Whakatane and it's not WACA-TAIN (damn google bring it back)
    42. You know which ALL BLACK was in a JOCKEY's campaign shown around the world.
    43. You know why One Tree Hill is called One Tree Hill and it's not because a statue is on top
    44. You grew up on Wheat-Bix and you know why the All Black supports them
    45. When you are overseas and people call you Australian, and you hate it they can't tell the difference in the accents.
    46. You know at least 6 places you can buy green stone from.
    47. When you heard the news report that google blocked the city Whakatane for it's pronunciation you thought it was Whucking hilarious
    48. Whenever you here the song "Baby Come on" you think of a telecom commercial
    49. You have a feeling Australians are cheaters after the underhand bowl of 1970.
    50. You know a Hangi is better than any American Thanksgiving
    51. You know that any sentence can be made better with the word "AS" at the end.
    52. When you heard that Bull Rush was that out of school because it was rough the first thought that came to your head was this generation is going to be too soft.
    53. New Zealand might be the biggest island in the Pacific but Kiwi's are not Pacific Islanders
    54. You know Bungie Jumping started off a bridge in Queenstown
    55. You know where to find black sand
    56. You know that Wellington is the most southern capital in the world.
    57. You get upset when you think that all the best lamb and beef gets exported.
    58. You know feijora is something great to eat and especially love the candy
    59. You know TradeMe is definitely better than Ebay
    60. You know Russell Crowe was born in New Zealand but don't mind the Australians claim him as there's
    61. Even though Anna Paquin was born in Canada you consider her a Kiwi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

62. When you come to Limerick you learn very quicky who beat the All Blacks in 1978

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The underarm bowl was in 1981!
    Of course the year isn't as important as the fact that they are CHEATING AUSSIES!!!!
    Good list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yep. Meat Pies are amazing as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Bungie jumping actually originally comes from Vanuatu. It was just made a recreational sport in Queenstown. They didn't invent it.

Also, I want a pie. I may have to leave the house to get one now. Steak and cheese. ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Big Ben pepper steak pie

*drools*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 springo

YFlyer wrote: »
    62. When you come to Limerick you learn very quicky who beat the All Blacks in 1978

Or anywhere in Ireland for that matter!!!! That's after you've had the 'but I'm not Australian' discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

quizzed my fella and it was pretty standard all teh way through except for these ones (and the fact he doesnt eat meat)
    7. If You are from Auckland you know the other meaning of JAFA - my fella didn't know this one... care to elaborate anyone (rabies?)

10. You know at least three different names for Fish and Chips. only got one, and half got about three others... any answers?

12. You know where CANDYLAND is - a michael jackson ranch? never heard of it...

31. You (or your children) don't have to wear shoes at school. - a north island thing apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

springo wrote: »
    Or anywhere in Ireland for that matter!!!! That's after you've had the 'but I'm not Australian' discussion.

Yeah I know, but in Limerick its more in your face tho. That can be sorted out fairly quickly by asking them to say 'fish and chips'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Candyland!

Just outside Hamilton. on the way to Auckland- off SH1, there's a sign near Ngaruawahia.

Not quite Willy Wonka...but better than a giant kiwifruit.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yeah I know, but in Limerick its more in your face tho. That can be sorted out fairly quickly by asking them to say 'fish and chips'

Yeah, I think you do get it more down country!!!

God I wish I could pop out to the dairy for one of those pies mentioned!

• Advertisement

quizzed my fella and it was pretty standard all teh way through except for these ones (and the fact he doesnt eat meat)
    7. If You are from Auckland you know the other meaning of JAFA - my fella didn't know this one... care to elaborate anyone (rabies?)

I thought this referred to the jaffa lollies you can buy in NZ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just Another Friggin Aucklander ... ( I think)

yeah, that's one meaning, but apparently aucklanders have their own meaning (see q5 and 6).

and jaffa lollies as in jaffa cakes?

i assumed it was an acronym for something.

Jaffa's are lollies, and are chocolate covered in a bright red/orange coating. The other jafa is the Aucklander one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hullo Uveryone. Wulcome to thuh Tum and Phul Brickfust Show.
    Im Tum, thus es Phul.

"Hullo Tum"
    "Hullo Phul, dont forgut thut we hev some great prizes tuday."
    "Thuts right Tum, tuday we are guving out a free Chully Bun, to uvery suxth caller to thuh show"
    "Wow Phul, thuts choice"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

You know you're from NZ when...

The name of this forum bothers you.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Jumpy wrote: »
    Hullo Uveryone. Wulcome to thuh Tum and Phul Brickfust Show.
    Im Tum, thus es Phul.

"Hullo Tum"
    "Hullo Phul, dont forgut thut we hev some great prizes tuday."
    "Thuts right Tum, tuday we are guving out a free Chully Bun, to uvery suxth caller to thuh show"
    "Wow Phul, thuts choice"

Is Jumpy really your name?

jasonb wrote: »
    You know you're from NZ when...

The name of this forum bothers you.

J.

Think of it this way. It's only alphabetical!

no no, still doesnt make sense. JAFA stands for something. that something must be just another ****in aucklander. aucklanders supposedly know it stands for something else. if it was jafas, well 1. waht does it stand for, and 2. why do only aucklanders know.

im not letting this one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Correct, just another f***** aucklander :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jafa

• Advertisement

no no, still doesnt make sense. JAFA stands for something. that something must be just another ****in aucklander. aucklanders supposedly know it stands for something else. if it was jafas, well 1. waht does it stand for, and 2. why do only aucklanders know.

im not letting this one go.

I'm with you. Peeps - you're missing the point here.

The list says JAFA means just another ****ing aucklander to those not from Auckland.

to those from Auckland it means something else - what is that? Suggestions at work include just another ****ing australian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea thats what it means. Heard it from the horses mouth!

springo wrote: »
    Jaffa's are lollies, and are chocolate covered in a bright red/orange coating. The other jafa is the Aucklander one.

and the chocolate jaffas are a specifically auckland thing...?

*suspicious*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Ive heard it from aucklanders as Just Another Fantastic Aucklander... or something along those lines

Edit - Link; http://www.jafapride.co.nz/etymology.html
    Just Another Fun Acronym

It’s time that someone solved this ever-lingering mystery. What does Jafa really stand for? The truth is that the term Jafa encompasses such a variety of people; it couldn’t simply mean one thing…. Instead we have found 90 of them. Which best describes you? If you have Just Another Fun Acronym to add to the possibilities, please email us: ecommerce@jafapride.co.nz

Just Another Fantastic Aucklander Just Another Fabulous Aucklander Just Another Feisty Aucklander Just Another Fearless Aucklander Just Another Fit Aucklander Just Another Floral Aucklander Just Another Failsafe Aucklander Just Another Faithful Aucklander Just Another Familial Aucklander Just Another Fast Aucklander Just Another Fine Aucklander Just Another Famous Aucklander Just Another Fanatical etc, etc, etc, etc.......

Advertisement