Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin voted friendliest city

Options
  • 04-05-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Dublin is the friendliest city in Europe, a new survey by travel website TripAdvisor has found.
    This is the second year running that Dublin has taken the honour, with Paris named least friendly city.

“Dublin is well worth a visit – the locals were so warm and friendly and made me so welcome,” said one TripAdvisor reviewer.

According to the survey of almost 2,400 travellers, London is the dirtiest city in Europe, home to the worst-dressed people and the most expensive. The capital also has the worst food.

It was the second-year running that London had been voted the dirtiest European city.

The UK capital took the unwanted accolade by a huge margin, with 36 per cent reckoning London was the dirtiest — well ahead of Paris in second place with 9 per cent.
    However, the French capital did not come off any better, with travellers saying it was overrated and the second-most expensive.
    But both popular destinations redeemed themselves in the online poll, with Paris voted as having the best cuisine and best-dressed people, while London was seen as having the best nightlife, best public parks and most free attractions.

"Europe's capital cities all have their highs and lows, but no other continent offers travellers' such a wealth of culture and sights within such short distances," TripAdvisor spokesman Luke Fredberg said.

"The warm welcome that travellers receive in Dublin makes the city a great choice for holiday-makers seeking both fantastic sights and friendly locals."

Venice beat both Paris and Rome as Europe's most romantic destination, but it was also voted the third-most expensive, after Paris and London.

The health-conscious may prefer Denmark's Copenhagen, voted the Europe's cleanest city.

Prague was picked as the best bargain destination, while people seeking visual treats should head for Spain's Barcelona, but avoid Warsaw in Poland, which were seen as the cities with the best and worst architecture respectively.

And the most boring city? Travellers voted for the Belgian capital Brussels, with Switzerland's Zurich a close-runner up.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0504/breaking14.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

Nice :) very cool to get this award :D

tbh though europe is such a good place, so diverse with cities ranging from london to paris to berlin to rome to stockholm to dublin and with so much to see, contrast that to the usa where everything looks the same. who wouldn't love it?

EUROPE FTW.

could you post that in the after hours site who seems to think that dublin is like the worst city in the world? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Duberlin also came second the worst dressed city catagory An American tourist got collared by RTE this lunchtime, she wondered about all the prostitutes until she was informed they were just typical young Dubs on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

BVB wrote: »
    Dublin is the friendliest city in Europe, a new survey by travel website TripAdvisor has found.
    This is the second year running that Dublin has taken the honour, with Paris named least friendly city.

“Dublin is well worth a visit – the locals were so warm and friendly and made me so welcome,” said one TripAdvisor reviewer.

According to the survey of almost 2,400 travellers, London is the dirtiest city in Europe, home to the worst-dressed people and the most expensive. The capital also has the worst food.

It was the second-year running that London had been voted the dirtiest European city.

The UK capital took the unwanted accolade by a huge margin, with 36 per cent reckoning London was the dirtiest — well ahead of Paris in second place with 9 per cent.
    However, the French capital did not come off any better, with travellers saying it was overrated and the second-most expensive.
    But both popular destinations redeemed themselves in the online poll, with Paris voted as having the best cuisine and best-dressed people, while London was seen as having the best nightlife, best public parks and most free attractions.

"Europe's capital cities all have their highs and lows, but no other continent offers travellers' such a wealth of culture and sights within such short distances," TripAdvisor spokesman Luke Fredberg said.

"The warm welcome that travellers receive in Dublin makes the city a great choice for holiday-makers seeking both fantastic sights and friendly locals."

Venice beat both Paris and Rome as Europe's most romantic destination, but it was also voted the third-most expensive, after Paris and London.

The health-conscious may prefer Denmark's Copenhagen, voted the Europe's cleanest city.

Prague was picked as the best bargain destination, while people seeking visual treats should head for Spain's Barcelona, but avoid Warsaw in Poland, which were seen as the cities with the best and worst architecture respectively.

And the most boring city? Travellers voted for the Belgian capital Brussels, with Switzerland's Zurich a close-runner up.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0504/breaking14.htm
    i like dublin [on the same parr as manchester] but to me killkenny and cork are far more friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

getz wrote: »
    cork are far more friendly

You have to be kidding me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

i like dublin [on the same parr as manchester] but to me killkenny and cork are far more friendly

Or Galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

sillymoo wrote: »
    Or Galway

Yeah but they're not, y'know, real cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah but they're not, y'know, real cities.

Exactly,their villages.:pac:

I would vote Galway the unfriendliest area in the country. Everything from the rude driving to the unwelcoming glares strangers get in pubs. Dublin is a warm city, it's friendly and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I would praise Limerick as being friendly but im sure someone is just gonna make some stupid joke so don't waste your time.

It was all capital cities anyway on that list (except barcelona), We are a friendly nation I have to admit, I was in germany over easter and while I love it there and there are some friendly people (a lot aren't or they just have an odd way of showing it...not there fault just different culture).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

1huge1 wrote: »

It was all capital cities anyway on that list (except barcelona),

Don't think so.
    Sure the OP's post mentions Venice and Zurich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

mikemac wrote: »
    Don't think so.
    Sure the OP's post mentions Venice and Zurich
    Ha clearly I need to either read properly or get a geography lesson.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Indeed, the majority of our "cities" in this country would love to be a proper city like Dublin.

True enough, we can only aspire to the filth, prices, commuting misery and violence of de big smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

mike65 wrote: »
    True enough, we can only aspire to the filth, prices, commuting misery and violence of de big smoke.
    Well, eh, maybe if there was more to do in Waterford you'd have less time to clock up 42,980 posts on an internet forum, eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Rb wrote: »
    Well, eh, maybe if there was more to do in Waterford you'd have less time to clock up 42,980 posts on an internet forum, eh? :pac:

Bam!

Ouch, Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Plenty of scumbags though.

And hell yes about the worst dressed thing. Yesterday me and a mate were travelling the shop trying to find a decent jacket. Involved Stepens Green, Grafton street, Jervis, Henry street and the Ilac. After all that walking we were so annoyed with the terrible style of people and shops in this city we gave up. He now plans a trip to Finland...

Rb if Duberlin was that great you'd not have almost 12000! (assuming you are in Dublin) :)

Mike, what part of Dublin did you live in to give you this impression of Violence, filth, prices? Have you been to Dublin recently at all? Or is this just rural myth's about "De big shhhmoke" that you hear?

Well I could be wrong about the state of the place (I lived in Dublin breifly back in the late 80s) but the media profile suggests the Captial is a bit of a scanger-hole. And that the price of a sandwich is about 20% higher not to mention rents/parking etc.

I thought as much. You are indeed wrong about the place altogether.

You will find now that you can get great value for food in Dublin now, much better than a lot of other places in the country, there is massive competition out there now. Eating out can be very cheap and if you insist on sticking to sandwiches for lunch there is cheap ones out there. However, if you want to diversify and try something different for lunch, there are plenty of very cheap ethnic spots.

Rent and parking are part of being in a city. But, again look around, some places are a lot cheaper than others.

Relying on websites, here-say and certain media profiles is a bad way to get a feel for the place. But I would suggest you get up to the city and walk around, have a look around, visit the galleries, museums, parks, beaches... use the amenities, grab some food, relax and read a book in a coffee shop, visit the pubs. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Oh, If you are going to stick to sandwiches you are way better of making them yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

lightening wrote: »
    You have to be kidding me?
    i can only say as i find ,as a uk tourist [i am in ireland for four weeks every year ],and when i am in cork the people have always gone out of their way to be friendly .the only problem i have in dublin is finding a irish man to talk to

i can only say as i find ,as a uk tourist [i am in ireland for four weeks every year ],and when i am in cork the people have always gone out of their way to be friendly .the only problem i have in dublin is finding a irish man to talk to

Fair point. I have been treated well in both Cork and Galway, I just find Dublin friendlier. I have no problem with foreigners like yourself in Dublin, but I do find it very easy to find locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

what part of Dublin did you live in to give you this impression of Violence, filth, prices? Have you been to Dublin recently at all? Or is this just rural myth's about "De big shhhmoke" that you hear?
    Swords. Didn't live there, but worked and drank there. Got attacked once, for no reason except I was standing in the smoking area of a pub having a smoke.

the_syco wrote: »
    Got attacked once

Right, don't know the exact circumstances. I got attacked in Sydney, I wouldn't judge the whole city and its inhabitants because of it though. I wouldn't consider Swords filthy, overpriced or violent to be honest. Also, Swords isn't Dublin City, its a satellite town in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ste10

Dublin, in my opinion, is an absolute kip, i cannot finish my college course fast enough, ive been in contact with the rudest most greedy and pig ignorant as*holes ive ever met, maybe its the luck of the draw but for me dublin is the unfriendliest city ive ever came across. I plan to move to galway as soon as possible as its a great spot.

Ste10 wrote: »
    Dublin, in my opinion, is an absolute kip, i cannot finish my college course fast enough, ive been in contact with the rudest most greedy and pig ignorant as*holes ive ever met, maybe its the luck of the draw but for me dublin is the unfriendliest city ive ever came across. I plan to move to galway as soon as possible as its a great spot.

Don't tell me... You are not from Dublin,, in your early 20's, you lived here less than two years in the one spot and have made up your mind about the whole city already. You live is some shlthole with lots of your mates, you have no money to go out, you go home to wherever you come from every weekend and have "the craic" getting shltfaced in some local dump on your folks money, but... you know everyone there. Big fish, small pond. You never go out in Dublin, if you do you stay in your clique in some crappy pub in the outskirts, near where you live. You don't really know the city, you don't interact with it, you feel threatened by its size and energy, you are incredibly unstreetwise and think everyone with a Dublin accent is going to stab you with a syringe in your neck. Because of all this you have an attitude, you are rude and gruff to most people. They of course react to you and pick up on the vibes you are giving out and are rude straight back to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Interesting accolade to get, I wonder how they judged friendliness. What criteria they were using, and how sober those judging friendliness were would be interesting to find out.
    Mind you, I can agree with the result, but then I'm biased.
    Based on the last few posts though, I wonder if Dublin City forum would be voted the friendliest forum on Boards.ie?

Gaspode wrote: »
    I wonder if Dublin City forum would be voted the friendliest forum on Boards.ie?

Excellent point. Looking back, it seems every request for hotels, advice, parking, restaurants, directions, pubs, nightclubs, classes, coffee shops, where to live requests and hundreds more requests, many of them repeats of each other have been answered by Dublin people. Not only have they been answered, but excellent advice has been doled out in friendly good natured fashion.

The rude posts, slating Dublin as a shlthole, slating people in general, seem to be from people who are not from Dublin! People are bound to react to that, it's their home town.

Judging by the banns and thread locks which are far and few between, and the amount of answered requests, yeah, I would say this forum is very friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ste10

Don't tell me... You are not from Dublin,, in your early 20's, you lived here less than two years in the one spot and have made up your mind about the whole city already. You live is some shlthole with lots of your mates, you have no money to go out, you go home to wherever you come from every weekend and have "the craic" getting shltfaced in some local dump on your folks money, but... you know everyone there. Big fish, small pond. You never go out in Dublin, if you do you stay in your clique in some crappy pub in the outskirts, near where you live. You don't really know the city, you don't interact with it, you feel threatened by its size and energy, you are incredibly unstreetwise and think everyone with a Dublin accent is going to stab you with a syringe in your neck. Because of all this you have an attitude, you are rude and gruff to most people. They of course react to you and pick up on the vibes you are giving out and are rude straight back to you.

No I was describing your mum, I got the 2 mixed up.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

God, you'd think people who detest Dublin actually branch out?

Yes, there are junkies, scangers around but out of a population of about 1.1m ,they are a small minority!!

Most of us are not like that, getit? We don't wear tracksuits!!

After that rant, i still think Galway is the heart of Ireland :D

Advertisement