Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

management agent leaflet about damaged property

Options
  • 04-05-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

does anyone know what has happened in the grove regarding 'property getting damaged' that got the management agent to send out a notice about it looking for feedback to alleviate it??

was it just kids playing or did someone deliberately do something. the leaflet was vague and i want to try and find out what actually happened before i reply to the management agent with suggested solutions as they are looking for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

happyhappy wrote: »
    does anyone know what has happened in the grove regarding 'property getting damaged' that got the management agent to send out a notice about it looking for feedback to alleviate it??

was it just kids playing or did someone deliberately do something. the leaflet was vague and i want to try and find out what actually happened before i reply to the management agent with suggested solutions as they are looking for.

I couldnt attend the AGM did something come up at the meeting? I believe the minutes are being finalised

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

letter was a bit vague - a car window was broken, apparently by a football.

Skelly88 wrote: »
    Snip.

not entirely true - there was a car window broken. I spoke to Katie Wright about it and she said she was going to canvass opinions - I didn't get the impression that any one resident was complaining (nor did it come up at the AGM).

I don't think extra trees is the answer either - the kids should be allowed play on the green (and those signs should have been removed by now). I do think that the green is too small to be using full-weight footballs on though, maybe lightweight or mini-footballs could be encouraged instead... cars are regularly being hit by footballs, apart from the broken window, I'm sure a fair few have been dented also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Skelly88

loyatemu wrote: »
    not entirely true - there was a car window broken. I spoke to Katie Wright about it and she said she was going to canvass opinions - I didn't get the impression that any one resident was complaining (nor did it come up at the AGM).

I don't think extra trees is the answer either - the kids should be allowed play on the green (and those signs should have been removed by now). I do think that the green is too small to be using full-weight footballs on though, maybe lightweight or mini-footballs could be encouraged instead... cars are regularly being hit by footballs, apart from the broken window, I'm sure a fair few have been dented also.

I've no doubt cars have been damaged - so lets remove the cars, not the kids!! How about a double yellow line around the green? Problem solved & much safer for the kids too! I suspect this is an attempt to "preserve the grass" as the signs says. I want the place to look its best just as much as the next guy but this idea of getting rid of the kids by planting more shrubbery is not how I want my management fee to be spent. Please get all your more sensible ideas to Katie as soon as possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Was this letter/leaflet distributed to everyone in the Grove/Park or just those living around the main green area? I dont recall receiving anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

It was only sent to those living around the particular green where the damage is being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JAYG

I think the kids should be allowed to play on the greens but they also need to be taught some road sense or be supervised by an adult.
    On the green where we are it is nice to see all the kids playing there, only thing is their dogs run out and either stand in front of the car or dangerously chase the car wheels all the way to the main road, they sit in the road and think moving to the side when a car comes is safe, they ride their bikes out from parked cars in front of you and footballs regularly come flying over parked cars in to yours when you are driving round.

Small greens that are surrounded by a road are not really suitable places to play football (which for children normally means booting the ball as hard as they can)

Make shift boards saying drive slowly children at play are fair enough (there are that many double parked cars now a days you can’t speed round the green anyway) but children should also know to play carefully as cars can hurt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Skelly88 wrote: »
    I've no doubt cars have been damaged - so lets remove the cars, not the kids!! How about a double yellow line around the green? Problem solved & much safer for the kids too! I suspect this is an attempt to "preserve the grass" as the signs says. I want the place to look its best just as much as the next guy but this idea of getting rid of the kids by planting more shrubbery is not how I want my management fee to be spent. Please get all your more sensible ideas to Katie as soon as possible!!

We are the Knights who say Ni, we want a ..... Shubbery :D

Sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

i think stopping children playing on green areas is the wrong thing today, especially in a young community like here which will have more and more kids in the next few years. it will force them out onto the green at the spine road, which is obviously much more dangerous for young kids.

i'm a bit suspicious of a claim of the car window being broken by kids with a football. did anyone see it happen? it much have been a fairly weak window. growing up playing football on the street, with my bad skills i hit plenty of cars with a football but they never went through a car window. its reinforced glass and very hard to break.

i think someone would have delibrately tried to smash the window and therefore the solution would not be planting shrubs and trees and stopping our kids getting exercise green areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

As far as I know someone did see it happen and rang the management co. to inform them who in turn had to inform the owner of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Skelly88

Wow!! This business of footballs hitting cars must be a new phenomenon!! Never had things like that happen when we were kids, did we? Well, we probably did, only difference is we didn't have a Newsflash coming through the letterbox every time it happened.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Less of the attitude please. If you prefer, the Thundersome might be a more apt place for you to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JAYG

From a few of the comment it sounds like a few people here dont think it is a problem for their children to be hitting cars with footballs.

I find it hard to believe that a football could break a modern car window but they can certainly dent cars and would the parents like to create a fund to re valet or clean cars with football prints on them?

If i wanted a dirty, dented car i would have my own children to dirty them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Are people sure that is was just a ball hitting a car prompted this response from the Management company? I don't live in Charlesland so I was just wondering if this was speculation posted here. It seems total overkill if that was the case.

I find it totally unbelievable that a child could drive a football through a car window. Either they should be signed up immediately by united....or this car window was already damaged or in poor shape.

But for the kids playing ball...call "hold play" when a car is coming....then "play on" when it has passed....or as in Waynes World "Car!"....."Game On"....Not rocket Science....worked for us when we were kids and we didn't "Dirty" Mr Wilsons car! :P

But for the kids playing ball...call "hold play" when a car is coming....then "play on" when it has passed....or as in Waynes World "Car!"....."Game On"....Not rocket Science....worked for us when we were kids and we didn't "Dirty" Mr Wilsons car! :P

Happy memories indeed. It was much the same when I grew up.

However, the scenario at issue here is a small green area (not much bigger than a basketball court) that is surrounded by cars, rather than kids playing on the road itself.

the celtic tiger is still alive and well!!

lets stop the kids playing football in the green and send them out to play beside a dangerous spine road because of 'dirtying' the lovely clean cars!!!! :D:D:D

on a serious note, i can understand the frustration of car owners but it really has to be put in perpective. it happens everywhere, its kids growing up and by the demographic profile of charlesland there will be lots more kids in the next few years. a balance will have to be found because there is very little 'proper' green spaces for kids in the area. i think the one at spine road isn't all that suitable for younger kids.

It had been moted here before that a fence be put around an area of the median on the spine road for this purpose. Nothing seems to have come of it, however.

If folks were to approach their Management committies about it, it may get the ball rolling, so to speak.

happyhappy wrote: »
    the celtic tiger is still alive and well!!

lets stop the kids playing football in the green and send them out to play beside a dangerous spine road because of 'dirtying' the lovely clean cars!!!! :D:D:D

on a serious note, i can understand the frustration of car owners but it really has to be put in perpective. it happens everywhere, its kids growing up and by the demographic profile of charlesland there will be lots more kids in the next few years. a balance will have to be found because there is very little 'proper' green spaces for kids in the area. i think the one at spine road isn't all that suitable for younger kids.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they should play football on the spine road (though the original plans included a playground there, which pretty much everyone agrees is a bad idea).

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is suggesting they should play football on the spine road (though the original plans included a playground there, which pretty much everyone agrees is a bad idea).

im just thinking that kids being kids will go to the nearest green space and that is the spine road area. obviously something that all parents would try and stop in fairness, unless supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I have to agree that I think there has been a bt of over kill on this issue. A car window got broken - it happens - I would hope that if it wasa football the parents of the child would pay for the damage.

The action of putting yellow lines all around the green will be a mess. Where will all the cars park then??? who will enforce it??

PLEASE BE AWARE - Charleland court got fed up with the parking and the management company along with a rogue residents committee brought in the yellow lines and the clampers!! People are now getting clamped in their drive ways if they have 2 cars!! That is a ridiculous situation for any resident to be put in so as some said earlier lest get some perspective and wonder why there is such a big deal being made of one broken window in 4 years!!

Please - let children be children and let them have fun and make them aware of damage that can be caused so to be more careful - thats it!! Most of the children that play on the green are young, respectful and good mannered kids. Everytime I drive in and see all the kids playing together I just think its great and am so happy to live in this part of the estate, where parents/families keep an eye out for each others children and each other.

One broken car window shouldnt change an area!!:D

• Advertisement

A "rogue residents committee"? Care to elaborate on that? I was of the belief that the committee was elected at an agm?

Advertisement