Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be mad to go swimming in Tramore tomorrow?

Options
  • 04-05-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Down in Waterford staying with the boyfriend for a week. Was thinking of going for a swim in Tramore as I adore the beach, would it be too cold/windy/dangerous? Is there a more suitable beach around for this time of year?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Would be a bit cold alright but its safe to swim on the main beach alright. Should see a few out! Its the only beach but the other swimming spots don't really have a beach.

If you have a car then you could try a few of the small beaches on the south east coastal drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

I have a car alright...was thinking that the cove place up the road might be a tad warmer. I think I'll brave it for the laugh. I was there the other day though and there were wetsuited surfers and kite boarders, not a frozen bareskinned swim suited person in sight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Id have said that would be colder, but you could give it a try. There is little beach there though.

If surfing is something you want to try Tramore Surf Shop have an offer on Discover Tramore where equipment hire is €20. Some of the surfboards are also discounted via the site.

Here are some useful maps;
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/secoastal.pdf - South East Coastal Drive
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/copper.pdf - Copper Coast Drive (some small beaches along these routes)
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/beachmap.pdf - Tramore Beach Guide
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/tramoremap.pdf - Decent Holiday Map which will get you around Tramore, walking/swimming/fishing spots etc. Slightly out of date, should have the new one this week.

Where abouts you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

Cheers for the maps, I used to love the coastal drives as a child. I'm staying on the Dunmore road...Earls Court. Half living there and half living in Cork so I'm down here loads. Was thinking of going for the surfing thing but I'm briste until Friday. Just wanted something to do for free while getting fit at the same time.

Think the coastal drive is the way to go, I can always do the walks and hope I'm brave enough to swim if I find a nice place.

Nic'name wrote: »
    Cheers for the maps, I used to love the coastal drives as a child. I'm staying on the Dunmore road...Earls Court. Half living there and half living in Cork so I'm down here loads. Was thinking of going for the surfing thing but I'm briste until Friday. Just wanted something to do for free while getting fit at the same time.

Think the coastal drive is the way to go, I can always do the walks and hope I'm brave enough to swim if I find a nice place.

The coastal drive and copper coast are my personal favourite drives. Especially if the weather is great. Some very nice beaches and places to walk with great community in the villages.

There are some fantastic walks within Tramore, the Beach Walk is a new guide for the town and is an excellent walk to take. Nice and relaxing as the other walks are on the roadside so perhaps not ideal. Great for jogging as well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement