Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv Out Card

• 04-05-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi i need a bit of advice/help.
    Ok here goes, i basically want to use a lcd Tv as a computer monitor, I know i need a graphics card with a tv out, I have a video capture card its a pinnacle dc10, it has a video out bit i dont think it works for straight foward output , it seems to be for video loopthrough.
    The dc10 shows up in games,audio controllers in my system tab, and not in display adapters like i thought it would.
    Can anyone tell me what i need to do /Buy?
    Oh my lcd has a s-video and rgb inputs, i also bought a vgs to rgb lead thinking thats all i needed and tried to go straight from my vga output straight to the tv,(obviously didn't work)

Cheers
    Gregg

Comments

A video capture card is an input only, it can't output anything. Does your TV have a VGA connection? (when you say VGA to RGB cable do you mean VGA on one end and SCART on the other?) If your TV has HDMI and your PC has a DVI connection you could also use HDMI.

Only use S-Video or composite as a last resort, the quality would be very poor on an LCD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TV output is low resolution , think 800x600 and not crisp enough for text
    most of the LCD's with 768 will have a VGA input anyway

what does the RGB connector look like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You want a HD 1920x1080p LCD with HDMI in, and graphics card with DVI or HDMI. The common 1366x 768 cheap so called HD Ready are only really good for gaming and only if you can connected direct HDMI or VGA in and the graphics card does that resolution.

A regular screen is only good for DVD watching, many laptops & graphic cards have auxilary S-video / Composite output for this. In Pal its 768 x 576 lines and NTSC 640 x480. So you can just about get a very blurry 800x600 desktop. The Desktop output is OK fro Powerpoint or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭arsebandit

The cable i have is vga ~(from the pc)~Red,White,Yellow, (Rca) type on the other.
    As for the quailty im not too pushed as long as it can been seen,graphics is not am issue , my problem is i have my computer monitor,&my lcd beside each other and hoped i could just use the one.The pc is only used for internet ,email etc and not gaming.I dont have hdmi ,dvi on the pc,or lcd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's nearly impossible to use a standard non-HD LCD TV for text of Internet & email, The quality is too poor and too many websites don't work well on 800x600.

The cable you have might be for *OLDER* US HD sets, they have RCA rather than SCART and no HDMI. Newer US sets use HDMI for HD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement