Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback - what a refreshing change

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Rb wrote: »
    If it's a case of "We'll grow it 'til it's worth another load and then flog another chunk of it to an external company", I would be quite interested to see who'd be willing to part with their advice for free.
    You're getting awful cynical. You know full well that the daft investment means 'slicker boards.ie' not 'richer DeV'.

Back on topic:
    Afaic, the direction of the site is pre-defined by its trajectory. So, from that point of view, nothing's changed.

From the point of view of Feedback, it needed to have a change in the signal:noise ratio in order for it to be effective. Plenty of valid comments were shot down from about the first reply because Feedback was left to its own devices. Thus, when someone who could actually do something about the issue would go to read it, they'd have to wade through page after page of stuff to pick out something of value.

To be honest, I won't shed a tear that people can't post tripe in the only forum that's supposed to be for suggestions on how the site could be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:confused:

What's wrong with posting tripe.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

:confused:

What's wrong with posting tripe.?

df06_08-06_tripe.jpg om nom nom nom

in fairness hullabaloo, simply clicking back over 5 pages, you'll see plenty of BS. they just got locked, or moved to helpdesk.

maybe a compromise can be reached. give the smods lolcats and let them fling them at muppets?
    that way ye can control the volume of signal to noise(or vice versa :confused:) and us other folk that sometimes suffer teh Grumps, can have a jolly chuckle.

Just a thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hhhhhhhhelll No.

Half the fun is summoning Longcat yourself.

Overheal wrote: »
    Hhhhhhhhelll No.

Half the fun is summoning Longcat yourself.
    unless its a new picture of longcat i dont giggle anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Nerin wrote: »
    df06_08-06_tripe.jpg om nom nom nom

in fairness hullabaloo, simply clicking back over 5 pages, you'll see plenty of BS. they just got locked, or moved to helpdesk.

maybe a compromise can be reached. give the smods lolcats and let them fling them at muppets?
    that way ye can control the volume of signal to noise(or vice versa :confused:) and us other folk that sometimes suffer teh Grumps, can have a jolly chuckle.

Just a thought ;)
    Are you mad?

As you can see from the pic of Seamus and Beru below, these aren't people to be giving the power of the lolcats to.

old-people-givingthefinger.jpg

unless its a new picture of longcat i dont giggle anymore.
    Makes perfect sense when most of the threads back then were major Scroll-Fest, Wall of Text ordeals. Just gave us something far more interesting to scroll through.

Then I did a longcat clusterbomb.... wtf was I thinking.

However Rb is right and we ought to move into a new era of lolseniors.

Makes perfect sense when most of the threads back then were major Scroll-Fest, Wall of Text ordeals. Just gave us something far more interesting to scroll through.

Then I did a longcat clusterbomb.... wtf was I thinking.

as someone who has met the lovely Beruthiel, i must say, hes very very wrong :p

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

'Lolseniors'? Wtf is this, PC bullsiht day? Crumblies.

twisted.gif

I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I had a really long and well written post written to reply to this, full of stuff about about the change in the direction of boards as a community and a culture, the necessity for professionalism whilst still being fun and enjoyable and striking a balance between the two, and lots of other fancy and technical sounding stuff like that.

Then I realised that the reason for an occasional "old" feedback thread, one that manages to bring the entire site together in a glorious celebration of absolute tardism of astronomical proportions and allow us all to rejoice in the absoulte guilty and twisted pleasure of watching a train-wreck unfold in slow motion before your very eyes can all be summed up in one simple word.

Rozie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You're getting awful cynical. You know full well that the daft investment means 'slicker boards.ie' not 'richer DeV'.

Back on topic:
    Afaic, the direction of the site is pre-defined by its trajectory. So, from that point of view, nothing's changed.

From the point of view of Feedback, it needed to have a change in the signal:noise ratio in order for it to be effective. Plenty of valid comments were shot down from about the first reply because Feedback was left to its own devices. Thus, when someone who could actually do something about the issue would go to read it, they'd have to wade through page after page of stuff to pick out something of value.

To be honest, I won't shed a tear that people can't post tripe in the only forum that's supposed to be for suggestions on how the site could be better.

Some time you just have to call an asshat an asshat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can somebody send me a link to longcat?
    I've never seen it, and I can't find it through Google...

An File wrote: »
    Can somebody send me a link to longcat?
    I've never seen it, and I can't find it through Google...
    Enter at your own mouse wheel's peril...

http://www.pics24h.com/img/fun/long-cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Enter at your own mouse wheel's peril...

http://www.pics24h.com/img/fun/long-cat.jpg

Even looking at the link to that daned thing annoys me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

as someone who has met the lovely Beruthiel, i must say, hes very very wrong :p

What have I told you about spreading lies?!

Beruthiel wrote: »
    What have I told you about spreading lies?!

In before randy uses the word "spreading" loosely.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think it would be disingenuous of me to say that a bigger better Boards isn't going to benefit me or the others in real world terms. We've never hidden that and in fact we've almost always been at pains to say that yeah, it *will* and that we'd *really like that*.

RB's point, while cynical, is also well made and one I'm calling a Town Hall meeting of the Mods in order to address. I'll be questioning myself because everyone seems to trust me, while I feel its a question that should be broached. I'll address it here once I've had that meeting (there is an order to such things).

There is a natural suspicion around "money". It corrupts. It speaks with a disproportionately loud voice. Its right to be suspicious of it.

Its wrong to assume it automatically means departure from our objectives or that it is inherently evil. But what are are objectives as a site? As a community (the community of people-who-give-a-****-about-boards)?

Well, firstly, if we were being "warped" by the money, would Daft have been banned from the Property forum? (which they were). If SmCCarrick or Victor want to they can confirm that there was no pressure put on them to reverse the ban either. (Even though it was my stupid fault for not reading the charter and/or warning the Daft.ie person).

But we dont have a clear objective, never have had. We probably need one otherwise how do we hold true to it? Currently we want to be the platform for irish people to discuss things on. Thats pretty damned vague to be fair but its also pretty much "us" no?

To answer RB's question directly, this site is made up of people who choose to come here (users), who choose to help us (mods & admins), we most certainly cant do it without them. If they choose to stop (because of something distasteful we "founders" do), the site crashes over night.

So, who really has the power here? Who's really in charge?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

I am. I sold 20% of boards to this Nigerian chap.

Hey heres a thought - sell official accounts to politicians. Be fun to see Bertie in the Lolocaust :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Uh....longcat...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it would be disingenuous of me to say that a bigger better Boards isn't going to benefit me or the others in real world terms. We've never hidden that and in fact we've almost always been at pains to say that yeah, it *will* and that we'd *really like that*.

RB's point, while cynical, is also well made and one I'm calling a Town Hall meeting of the Mods in order to address. I'll be questioning myself because everyone seems to trust me, while I feel its a question that should be broached. I'll address it here once I've had that meeting (there is an order to such things).

There is a natural suspicion around "money". It corrupts. It speaks with a disproportionately loud voice. Its right to be suspicious of it.

Its wrong to assume it automatically means departure from our objectives or that it is inherently evil. But what are are objectives as a site? As a community (the community of people-who-give-a-****-about-boards)?

Well, firstly, if we were being "warped" by the money, would Daft have been banned from the Property forum? (which they were). If SmCCarrick or Victor want to they can confirm that there was no pressure put on them to reverse the ban either. (Even though it was my stupid fault for not reading the charter and/or warning the Daft.ie person).

But we dont have a clear objective, never have had. We probably need one otherwise how do we hold true to it? Currently we want to be the platform for irish people to discuss things on. Thats pretty damned vague to be fair but its also pretty much "us" no?

To answer RB's question directly, this site is made up of people who choose to come here (users), who choose to help us (mods & admins), we most certainly cant do it without them. If they choose to stop (because of something distasteful we "founders" do), the site crashes over night.

DeV.

I'm fairly certain it's you or sput.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd argue I have remarkably little power here.

What I may have is a modicum of respect from people, but thats not power. I cant snap my fingers and *make* people do things. I cant oppose the will of the moderators massively or I will be a LOT busier then I already am.

I cant force the users against their will, they'll simply abandon the site.

Just because there is a guy in the first seat of the rollercoaster, doesn't mean he has a steering wheel :)

DeV.

So you'd be the driver of the Bobsled lets say?

/sorry I just watched Cool Runnings again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

So you'd be the driver of the Bobsled lets say?

/sorry I just watched Cool Runnings again.

He'd be the guy who sings rastafarian music on the streets to make money for his bobsled team/discussion boards website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I know I helped to kill the lol cats, .
    *cries*

:mad:

Nothing better than when some dope posts a thread on why he was banned for trolling getting sent down in a barrage of lolcats.

He'd be the guy who sings rastafarian music on the streets to make money for his bobsled team/discussion boards website.
    Only if he has an egg down his pants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this thread reminds me of this:
    1002thaaannks.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jazzy wrote: »
    this thread reminds me of this:
    1002thaaannks.jpg

He looks like he's smelling something bad. Like sour grapes or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I miss old feedback, it was so much fun. It was the third forum I subscribed to, but sadly I think it will soon be the first forum I ever unsubscribe from. The entertainment was great, and it also seemed (to me at least) that genuine issues and problems were discussed seriously, by the majority of posters anyway.

Can we get a smilie shedding a single tear?

Advertisement