Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback - what a refreshing change

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

He looks like he's smelling something bad. Like sour grapes or something.

good for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

DeVore wrote: »
    I'd argue I have remarkably little power here.

What I may have is a modicum of respect from people, but thats not power. I cant snap my fingers and *make* people do things. I cant oppose the will of the moderators massively or I will be a LOT busier then I already am.

I cant force the users against their will, they'll simply abandon the site.

Just because there is a guy in the first seat of the rollercoaster, doesn't mean he has a steering wheel :)

DeV.

But who does have the steering wheel then ? What kind of person has the time and effort to be on the forum everyday for hours on end watching every little suggestion and watching out for every change and giving a '+1' or a '-1' ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    But who does have the steering wheel then ? What kind of person has the time and effort to be on the forum everyday for hours on end watching every little suggestion and watching out for every change and giving a '+1' or a '-1' ?

AH mods mate.
    AH mods.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am the AH mod in particular that has the most free time. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I am the AH mod in particular that has the most free time. :pac:

Wow!
    But... but the backstreet "pharmacist" promised me you would never wake up after those pills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That was you!? I thought that erection would never go away. Bet they were placebos, woot woot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and i got slagged for suggesting ham shamdys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    In some ways obviously I have a certain amount of control. That control is tempered by consensus ie: I'm allowed control but with a consensual veto from the people around here...

The really interesting part is the diffusion of control, the idea that we are something of an autonomous commune... (come and see the violence inherent in the system!).
    I find that fascinating...

I'm about to ramble so I'll stop.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The one constructive thing I see looking back over the last two years or so on Feedback is that most of the sycophantic and or pedantic and/or sarcastic harpies have buggered off to pastures new. The links in tallaght01's post here, illustrate this nicely.

Chances are, this would have happened with or without the restrictive and nannying changes to what is the closest thing to a sitewide community forum that boards.ie has got.

The one thing I agree with is the usage of Help Desk for its intended purpose, but the deviation from this was due to neglect rather than evolution.

It seems to me that this whole thread was started in a thinly veiled attempt to vindicate the recent changes on adverts (announcement here refers), which are a whole different debate and bear little relevance to the setup on boards.ie bar shared ownership.

In short, the continuing over moderation of the Feedback forum represents a further stifling of natural debate and conversational flow on boards, and a step backwards, IMO.

Either create a new "community" forum to give the boardsies their head, or wind your necks in, people.

edit @ Tom: Please do ramble. I always enjoy hearing your opinion, thoughts and input, and as Hughie Green might have said, I mean that most sincerely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It seems to me that this whole thread was started in a thinly veiled attempt to vindicate the recent changes on adverts (announcement here refers), which are a whole different debate and bear little relevance to the setup on boards.ie bar shared ownership.
    What in the name of Jesus, Mary and their wee donkey is that all about? What has anything on Adverts.ie got to do with this thread?

I started the thread for the reasons stated in my opening post but if you feel so paranoid about the whole issue then by all means read what you will into it if thats what it takes to float your boat.

Have to say Im disappointed (although not surprised) at that comment. I never thought you would call in to question or attempt to distort my motives for starting a thread like this. You obviously dont know me at all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And before we get off topic, lets stay on topic: Feedback.

Adverts is a whole different and sorely complicated issue that hopefully will be resolved in medium future. I didnt read Mufflers post as anything to do with Adverts and tbh, RM I think you are seeing what you want to see in that. :)

Feedback has definitely become more reasonable, partly because the questioning of sanctions (by far the most emotive and argumentative issues) are now hit on the head fast in Helpdesk.

Feedback as a result is finding a new purpose but tbh, I'm not sure its very clear yet what that is. I'm happy to let it find its own way but I'm also becoming opposed to listening to every Tom Dick and Harry's opinion of what we should do. Very often we (and I mean everyone old-skool here) have considered examined and occasionally actually *tried* what they are suggesting. Other times they are simply unworkable due to work load, nice ideas but just not going to fly for real-world reasons (like Mysterious's idea of having a judge and jury for each complaint about modding).

I have feeling we are searching for a "perfect solution" in a field which simply doesnt have anything better then "muddle through and be happy in yourself that you are doing the right thing". I can live with the latter if I'm happy that I've done my best... the conditional part of that statement is exercising my mind at the moment. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Feedback should be a forum were users get to have an input of site changes before they happen. Too often the end user finds out about changes only after they have been put in place. Case in point being the change to the front page a few months back which required a u-turn after it went live. There are all these little changes which often effect the philosophy of boards and the first time I, or other users, find out about them is when they hit us in the face. As another example, when Vexorg stepped down there should have been a thread here started by an admin on the topic rather then the mindless conjecture which resulted. Feedback should be a "community interaction forum".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Fair enough muffler, I retract that remark with good grace. I was obviously wrong to draw that assumption. Apologies.

@ boston. +1. I think that uninformed conjecture has been a very big problem on this site over many years, and that more transparency, where possible, can only be A Good Thing.

@Dev: Perhaps a case can be made then for some kind of community conduit, where people can make suggestions, and ideas and information etc., can filter both down and up. A new sys forum perhaps, in tandem with the cross sectional group you were talking about some time ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

This is getting fcuking serious:eek:

Lot of big words there Roundy, good man I like that.

Like the big ones.

Boston wrote: »
    Feedback should be a forum were users get to have an input of site changes before they happen. Too often the end user finds out about changes only after they have been put in place. Case in point being the change to the front page a few months back which required a u-turn after it went live. There are all these little changes which often effect the philosophy of boards and the first time I, or other users, find out about them is when they hit us in the face. As another example, when Vexorg stepped down there should have been a thread here started by an admin on the topic rather then the mindless conjecture which resulted. Feedback should be a "community interaction forum".
    I agree with you Boston, I think I've always done that where it was possible. However, I've also simply driven things forward and people have screamed at me but then gone "oh, actually, thats good".

Things have changed very quickly lately and I've been trying to keep everyone informed. I owe "Feedback" a big long post explaining whats been happening. I take your point that some things should be discussed BEFORE hand and the example of the design was a good one, you werent the only one who didnt get a preview of that.

Somethings I will come and debate things here, and sometimes thats not appropriate. I make no apologies for making that distinction but I take your point that the former is not something we should lose...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fair enough muffler, I retract that remark with good grace. I was obviously wrong to draw that assumption. Apologies.
    Apology accepted. Lets put this behind us and move on.

Advertisement