Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software Gems?

• 04-05-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what software people are currently using to process their images? Ive seen some elaborate post processing which is pretty impressive on the site here, Im guessing most people are using Photoshop?.

Im a little reluctant to get into something complicated like photoshop as Id rathr concentrate on getting used to the camera and lenss I have as a start. Anyone come across some simple to use little gems?

I currently use Canon Digital Photo Professional and i Photo08 which are pretty straight forward.

All the best
    Trev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Whether I want to keep my processing simple, or work it in to something more complex, I'll start off all my RAW files in Lightroom 2, for film, I import directly into Photoshop CS3 though.

I'd agree with your own thoughts though, work with what gear you have first, and when you're used to that, start looking at processing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A lot of people around here would use lightroom, more would use photoshop, and less would use 'the gimp'. Also some people will use photoshop elements a cheaper and less functional version of the real mccoy.

I think it depends on your post-processing needs. For me, I'm not overly into a heavy amount of postprocessing (maybe if I had the time I would be) and hence 'the gimp' can yield all the processing and probably lots more than I need.

All the better if you can get things right in camera and don't need to perform corrective image surgery but at some stage you probably will want to try out your creative design side. Then you probably will expand your options in terms of post processing. I'd suggest to download some of the trials which you can generally get for 30days free before buying in case you decide - well you are really a photographer and not a designer ;) Also the Gimp will be free if it were suitable to your needs.

Google's Picasa is free too and allows for some basic corrections and general photo management. Version 3 was pretty nifty if i recall correctly for all the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

On the back of this, and as a newb in a similar position, can I ask whether there's much similarity/overlap between Photoshop and Lightroom? I know I'm going to have to sit down and spend some time learning the ropes, and I wondered whether it makes sense to do one before the other, or whether the learning curve can be eased a bit.

For an old 35mm B&W enthusiast, you'd think I'd be grateful just not to have to stand in a darkened cupboard breathing in fixer fumes! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

peckerhead wrote: »
    On the back of this, and as a newb in a similar position, can I ask whether there's much similarity/overlap between Photoshop and Lightroom? I know I'm going to have to sit down and spend some time learning the ropes, and I wondered whether it makes sense to do one before the other, or whether the learning curve can be eased a bit.

For an old 35mm B&W enthusiast, you'd think I'd be grateful just not to have to stand in a darkened cupboard breathing in fixer fumes! :D

Start with Lightroom, its much more user friendly with a clear workflow. If you spend a little time getting used to the programme and getting your head around its possibilities it will save you in the long run.

Download the months trial and have a look at these videos is my recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks for that link, nilhg, looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

peckerhead wrote: »
    Thanks for that link, nilhg, looks good.

+1

Advertisement