Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with canvassers

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

OK, following on from the comments that I received here, I decided to engage 2 FF canvassers today.

I told them up front that I doubted I would vote for FF, and that I didn't want to waste their time, but that I'd listen.

I heard about how "things had happened" affecting everyone over the past year that made things bad, but things could be changed.

When I said that things didn't just happen - that some were beyond our control but others were bad policy - he emphasised that it was a local election, and I got the story of a new, young guy who could make a difference.

I said that maybe things could be changed from the ground up, and that maybe that's what was needed, and though the candidate might be the soundest ever, I couldn't understand why someone interested in making a difference would align themselves to FF.

I was told that everyone should align themselves to some party! So I said OK, but they were bound to be judged by their choice, local or not.

He mentioned that local candidates help with things like planning permission (I managed to keep mum about my opinion that they shouldn't have to) and I then said that was some help considering people couldn't afford overpriced houses - again down to FF policy - and couldn't get loans from banks.

He said why does everyone need to buy a house!

I said "everyone has a right to a roof over their head".

I then listed some issues which were both local & national (Dell + Aer Lingus abandoning Shannon, despite the Government owning a voting share).

He tried to talk over me, saying that selling Aer Lingus was the EU's fault; I let him off for a while, and then I repeated my point that the issue wasn't the sale - the issue was that they washed their hands of it and didn't use their shareholders' vote.

Halfway through me talking he turned his back and walked away.

I raised my voice - for the first time in the whole process, I must emphasise - to ask him how come he wouldn't listen to me, considering he'd expected me to listen to him, and he didn't reply.

So now, not only has FF turned its back on people in a political sense, it's doing it in real-life too.

And I wasted my time.

I've tried, but I think I prefer my earlier approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    OK, following on from the comments that I received here, I decided to engage 2 FF canvassers today.

I told them up front that I doubted I would vote for FF, and that I didn't want to waste their time, but that I'd listen.

I heard about how "things had happened" affecting everyone over the past year that made things bad, but things could be changed.

When I said that things didn't just happen - that some were beyond our control but others were bad policy - he emphasised that it was a local election, and I got the story of a new, young guy who could make a difference.

I said that maybe things could be changed from the ground up, and that maybe that's what was needed, and though the candidate might be the soundest ever, I couldn't understand why someone interested in making a difference would align themselves to FF.

I was told that everyone should align themselves to some party! So I said OK, but they were bound to be judged by their choice, local or not.

He mentioned that local candidates help with things like planning permission (I managed to keep mum about my opinion that they shouldn't have to) and I then said that was some help considering people couldn't afford overpriced houses - again down to FF policy - and couldn't get loans from banks.

He said why does everyone need to buy a house!

I said "everyone has a right to a roof over their head".

I then listed some issues which were both local & national (Dell + Aer Lingus abandoning Shannon, despite the Government owning a voting share).

He tried to talk over me, saying that selling Aer Lingus was the EU's fault; I let him off for a while, and then I repeated my point that the issue wasn't the sale - the issue was that they washed their hands of it and didn't use their shareholders' vote.

Halfway through me talking he turned his back and walked away.

I raised my voice - for the first time in the whole process, I must emphasise - to ask him how come he wouldn't listen to me, considering he'd expected me to listen to him, and he didn't reply.

So now, not only has FF turned its back on people in a political sense, it's doing it in real-life too.

And I wasted my time.

I've tried, but I think I prefer my earlier approach.
    Out of pure personal interest, what electoral area were you in with a young candidate?

ninty9er wrote: »
    Out of pure personal interest, what electoral area were you in with a young candidate?

"Personal interest" questions are off-topic.

Plus, that was the canvassers words, so it's a relative term - he could have been 35 and he'd still have been "young" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Get rid of your doorbell and problem is solved. I am not joking, I moved into my house 5 years ago and have not had a doorbell, we planned on getting one before we saw all the advantages of it.

I have mentioned this in many threads, some people gave possible disadvantages but there was not one that could be argued against, e.g. if my house is on fire the neighbour will not give a light rap on the door and leave. People I really do want calling to my door will usually ring/arrange in advance, or knock VERY loudly if I am in, or just ring my mobile outside.

Personally any plausible disadvantage is far outweighed by the advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

You would think so but its not the case!
    don't agree. complain to the ombudsman if they do not reply. There is a certain time in which local authorities have to respond.I never needed a td or councillor for anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well fair play to Liam Byrne for actually taking criticism and trying to act friendlier as a result.

The canvasser walking away is pretty bad, he/she probably just felt that you were a lost cause and there was not point in tolerating you.

My attitude to Fianna Failers has been, "I dont respect you party one bit, but I respect the fact that you are still brave enough to come out. I dont want to waste your time any more, have a nice day".

turgon wrote: »
    .....there was not point in tolerating you.

That's complete contempt for the electorate. The only way of getting additional votes is by listening to the reasons why people don't vote for you, and doing something about those reasons.

Turning his back after I'd tolerated him really endeared his scummy party to me, I can tell you.

Fianna Fail : "We want your vote, but we couldn't be arsed about your opinion and concerns; we want YOU to listen to US - not the other way around; we've completely forgotten that you pay our wages and fat expense accounts"

Well, I will have the last say.......ROLL ON FRIDAY!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

That's complete contempt for the electorate. The only way of getting additional votes is by listening to the reasons why people don't vote for you, and doing something about those reasons.

Turning his back after I'd tolerated him really endeared his scummy party to me, I can tell you.

Fianna Fail : "We want your vote, but we couldn't be arsed about your opinion and concerns; we want YOU to listen to US - not the other way around; we've completely forgotten that you pay our wages and fat expense accounts"

Well, I will have the last say.......ROLL ON FRIDAY!!!!! :)

But isn't the candidate reading you correctly in thinking that nothing he could have possibly said would ever get you to vote for him? To even get you to give him a low preference?

I've found that you can tell pretty easily if there's not chance of a vote from someone. At that point you're just wasting time that could be spent on your supporters. Now, if someone has misplaced concerns, I'll seek to put them right but if they basically say "I won't be voting to you", I'll thank them for their time and be on my way. It is bad form if he just left while you were in the middle of talking though. It costs nothing to be polite.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    But isn't the candidate reading you correctly in thinking that nothing he could have possibly said would ever get you to vote for him? To even get you to give him a low preference?

I've found that you can tell pretty easily if there's not chance of a vote from someone. At that point you're just wasting time that could be spent on your supporters.

I had indicated all this up-front. So if he wanted to walk he could have said "OK, so" and walked. But he stayed around in order to try and convince me. His choice.

P.S. It wasn't the candidate himself - it was a canvasser for the candidate who seemed very ingrained into FF and was - based on him staying around after I'd been 100% straight with him - eager to say his piece and discuss things, and try to convince me.

So if he was eager to say his piece, and I gave him some of my time to do so, he should listen to me too ? No ?

After all, how are FF going to cop themselves on (and, as pointed out to me earlier here, how will they know WHY people aren't voting for them) unless we tell them and they listen to us.
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    It is bad form if he just left while you were in the middle of talking though. It costs nothing to be polite.

Agreed - I was straight and if he'd decided to walk after I'd said "there's very little chance, but if you want to talk, go ahead", then I would accept it as his missed opportunity to clarify things - bad, but I wouldn't think anywhere near as badly of them as I do after that encounter.

And like I said, if they actually listened to criticism, brought it back to their candidate, and they took action based on it, they might actually have a chance of getting the additional votes that they're going to need to save their asses.

But it seems like that's too much work for them, and they'd prefer to preach to the existing hard-core support and those more easily led / duped than listen to actual concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I want everything in writing i need a contract from them :D

• Advertisement

I had indicated all this up-front. So if he wanted to walk he could have said "OK, so" and walked. But he stayed around in order to try and convince me. His choice.

P.S. It wasn't the candidate himself - it was a canvasser for the candidate who seemed very ingrained into FF and was - based on him staying around after I'd been 100% straight with him - eager to say his piece and discuss things, and try to convince me.

So if he was eager to say his piece, and I gave him some of my time to do so, he should listen to me too ? No ?

After all, how are FF going to cop themselves on (and, as pointed out to me earlier here, how will they know WHY people aren't voting for them) unless we tell them and they listen to us.

Agreed - I was straight and if he'd decided to walk after I'd said "there's very little chance, but if you want to talk, go ahead", then I would accept it as his missed opportunity to clarify things - bad, but I wouldn't think anywhere near as badly of them as I do after that encounter.

And like I said, if they actually listened to criticism, brought it back to their candidate, and they took action based on it, they might actually have a chance of getting the additional votes that they're going to need to save their asses.

But it seems like that's too much work for them, and they'd prefer to preach to the existing hard-core support and those more easily led / duped than listen to actual concerns.

Ah yeah I've no time for them whatsoever. And he should have made his decision to either stay and try to convince you or else leave. Not do half of one and half of the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

Hi

Just got a letter here from a potential councillor looking for votes - is that allowed the day before an election? And if not who monitors same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

I just had FF at the door canvassing. Are they still allowed to canvass so close to an election.

DeirdreD wrote: »
    Hi

Just got a letter here from a potential councillor looking for votes - is that allowed the day before an election? And if not who monitors same?
    Dublin1600 wrote: »
    I just had FF at the door canvassing. Are they still allowed to canvass so close to an election.

Yeah the moratorium only applies to broadcast media.

So they're still allowed to do it but I think most don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Donagh_mc

I'm courtious and say hello while taking the leaflet. Then it's time to inform them I don't have a vote in this consticuency and that's enough to finish the conversation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A FF local election candidate arrived at my door about 15 minutes ago, accompanied by Mary Hanafin. I told him from the outset that I was unlikely to vote FF, but that I'd have a read of the leaflet anyway. He seemed very eager to talk though, so I listened, and deliberately kept the conversation to local issues in order to give him some sort of a fair chance.

After talking about being local and being a good communicator, he brought up the fact that a local street had recently been made one way "overnight," without any communication. I pointed out that I knew it was being made one way months in advance, but didn't dwell on it, and went on to ask what his view was regarding an overall traffic plan for the area (this has been a major issue locally for some time, raised repeatedly by the residents' association). Before he could say anything, Mary Hanafin informed me that "he's not elected yet, but he'll come up with a plan as soon as he gets elected."

I kid you not. Fianna Fáil - elect us, and sure then we'll try sort something out. And I really don't think I could have been fairer to the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Breezer wrote: »
    , Mary Hanafin informed me that "he's not elected yet, but he'll come up with a plan as soon as he gets elected."
    Live horse and you'll get grass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I've only met one candidate this time, and I was on my way to the Trinity Ball. When asked if I was interested in a chat, I pointed at my dress, mentioned the Trinity Ball and told them that frankly their politics couldn't compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wasn't "an ass about it", I calmly and politely told them "not a hope in hell" and closed the door as soon as I copped who they were from.

In fairnes to D you came accross as being an ass about it.

I was simply going to qoute you and say "ignorance exists in many forms", but D decided to take it a stage further.

So how do I deal with 'em.. I mostly listen, but this time around I'd pretty much made up my mind that my vote wasn't going to an FF or Green candidate, and god forbid I'll never vote FG,

After wrestling with my conscience, then having the courage of my convictions I put the candidates poster (of my choice) in a prominent position on my property and that kept the guys away.

Advertisement