Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First DSLR Photo's for C&C

• 04-05-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Any good/bad feedback very welcome on my first DSLR C&C, thanks :)

4396EE71544E41728AED21F267B1307A-800.jpg

6B04E3AC6D5041D497B56DC92BD2B2CA-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Both appear very nice to me Stephen. The sky is a bit of a problem in the second one but there is enough saturation in greater parts of the image to compensate. First one i like too - the sunbeams don't quite work although they aren't too far from working (if you can follow me). The sun may have been too high above to get what I would have looked for so your option would be to go earlier in the day or later in the evening depending on what was appropriate. To compensate a little for the camera's handling of the beam you could try add a little contrast to the image in post processing. Overall, a very good attempt (i'm guessing that it might be your first DSLR but you've had a camera in your hands before? right?).

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kdak

well i dont know much about photography but i do think they're great photos! i like the sun beam in the first one! its not too 'photoshopped' looking but it looks kinda surreal at the same time! good work! keep practicing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The first thing I noticed about your first shot is that the pond appears to be sloping to the left, although the rest of the image is straight. As the part of the main focus of the image, would it not be better to have the pond straight (easy to do PP) and have the rest at a slope if unavoidable? I like the idea with the sun beams, as AnCatDubh said it does appear as though the sun could be a little too high in the sky but it's still nice. You could maybe crop it a bit tighter at the bottom?

Second one is a lovely shot and I think you could get a great one in that position at sunset or sunrise depending on which direction it's facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for the comments so far. I've been interested in photography for a while always using a point & shoot camera. I finally bought a DSLR after thinking about it for ages. I'm still unsure about certain features and still getting to grips with it.
    I did notice the pond/lake looked sloped but the trees on the right look relatively straight?!?
    I did a bit of photoshop on them. I got a great tip from a podcast, changing the image mode to LAB and then altering the A & B channels then changing the mode back to RGB, it gives the photo a great look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Stephen P wrote: »
    I got a great tip from a podcast.............

Any links going for that?
    TIA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Can we see the originals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

mrmac wrote: »
    Any links going for that?
    TIA.

The Podcasts were done by Justin Seeley. His website seems to be down or under reconstruction. I subscribe to his podcasts via iTunes so if you do a search for Justin Seeley in the iTunes store you should find his podcast. The name of the podcast I mentioned above is "LAB-tastic..."
    alexandros wrote: »
    Can we see the originals?

I wasn't sure how to put the pictures directly into a post. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me how and I'll post them later. Cheers!

Advertisement