Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal sightings

• 04-05-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I was driving from Monavea towards Portlaoise yesterday and saw two animals that I didn't recognise. I wasn't really in wildlife watching mode so I my descriptions might not be great.

On the side of the road I saw an animal about the size of a rat or a smallish squirrel. It was standing on the edge of the road and as I drove past it went on to all fours and scooted into the grass. It had a really nice coat of fur - kind of brown orange colour with some white down the front. It's tail wasn't very long. For some reason I thought it looked like a young animal but maybe it wasn't. Can't think of much else now. Any ideas?

Closer to Portlaoise I saw a bird flying above me. Wingspan about the size of a crow but they were lovely brown wings. Its body was long and speckeldy white and brown. Again, any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

possibly a stoat? seems to be the most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Sounds like stoat to me too. Nice one.

Re bird would need more details...even size-wise there's lots of types of crows: Ravens twice the size of Jackdaws :-). Could it have been a bird of prey? Hen Harrier? Sparrowhawk? Or for something even more exotic...rufous form of female Cuckoo?

Image 3 on http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cuckoo/index.asp#

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If it had some white down the front, its probably a pine marten! Similar to a stoat, with that white patch being the most distinguishable feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Animal would most likely be a Stoat. A Pine Marten is highly unlikely in the location.

The bird if it seemed the size of a Gray/Hooded Crow could have been a Buzzard and the location is right for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Stoat does seem to be the most likely. He didn't seem as 'long' as I would expect a stoat to be - maybe that's why I thought it looked young. There aren't any possible rodents that I could be mistaking it for? The most noticeable feature for me was the colour of it's fur - really lovely looking orange tint from it.
    Sounds like stoat to me too. Nice one.

Re bird would need more details...even size-wise there's lots of types of crows: Ravens twice the size of Jackdaws :-). Could it have been a bird of prey? Hen Harrier? Sparrowhawk? Or for something even more exotic...rufous form of female Cuckoo?

Image 3 on http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cuckoo/index.asp#

Not at all similar to the bird in that link. I'm not a birdwatcher so I don't know the words to describe them! It had wings that I would associate with an eagle or an owl - not sleek like a crow. I tried to get a look at its beak but I couldn't tell if it was normal or hooked, at a guess I'd say normal.

• Advertisement

After a little bit more research, I'm fairly confident that the mammal was a stoat.

From looking at birdwatchireland.ie, it seems to me that the bird I saw was most likely to be either a Buzzard or a female Hen Harrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

id say the wingspan of a crow would be half that of a buzzard though....

Id have to go with a Merlin or a Sparrowhawk based on size and colour.

neil_hosey wrote: »

Well after looking at lots of pictures since it probably would be hard for me to remember exactly what I saw now. I'd say its wingspan was the size of a big crow - way bigger than a pigeon like. I'm no expert on crow or pigeon sizes though! It was flying about the height of 2 telephone poles above me maybe. It was rather majestic looking, it didn't use its wings too much/too fast. Suppose it doesn't matter that much - it was a nice big bird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Sounds good for a buzzard. They will use the wind thermals as they soar so they don't beat their wings often. They are great to see and are really becoming a more regular sight throughout the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

neil_hosey wrote: »

Firstly it depends on the "crow". A jackdaw is certainly much smaller but think Hooded Crow? Or even a Raven:) A Hooded Crow has a wingspan up to 43inches. Not far off a Buzzard at 45 inches.

As the Merlin is by far our smallest bird of prey I doubt it would be mistaken for a possible Buzzard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement