Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed NCT Retest

• 04-05-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Im just wondering if anyone can help me out here please. I had my car retested last thursday as it failed on emissions the first time around, very common so ive read. The problem was supposedly fixed prior to first retest.
    Anyway the car failed the retest again on emissions, this time they were even worse. I cant explain how angry I was, as I have to have the car retested again before the original 30 days are up(which is this wednesday).having returned the car to my mechanic, he informs me that what I need to have done is not possible by wednesday. Therefore I will have to do a full retest.
    I have been told that if you cancel a retest you will simply be given another retest,when i checked this out, it doesnt appear to be the case. So what i need to know is, should I be entitled just to have a retest done seeing as its not my fault it took so long to have to car retested in the first place?i.e if it had been done earlier it would have given me more time to have this problem fixed.I know its a bit of a rant so thanks for reading, any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So what i need to know is, should I be entitled just to have a retest done seeing as its not my fault it took so long to have to car retested in the first place?i.e if it had been done earlier it would have given me more time to have this problem fixed.I know its a bit of a rant so thanks for reading, any advice greatly appreciated.
    From what you say, your mechanic, rather than the NCTS, sounds to be at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You need to drive it like it's stolen in high revs before you get to the test centre. My guess is that you are either in heavy traffic prior to the test or your car is not at full temperature prior to the test and so the reading it coming out high.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    You need to drive it like it's stolen in high revs before you get to the test centre. My guess is that you are either in heavy traffic prior to the test or your car is not at full temperature prior to the test and so the reading it coming out high.

Thats brilliant advice! How do you know, whats actually wrong with the car? If the converter is gone (just a possibility), you can drive it for weeks, and it won't pass the emissions test.

@OP

What exactly did your car fail on?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Hi thanks for replies, the car failed on emissions I dont have the sheet with me at the moment but it went from .69% CO2 to 3.76% or something like that. Diagnostics were done on the car and it seems a new air filter meter is required.

If it helps its a 01 passat 1.6 petrol. Fair enough the car failed the retest, not the fault of the NCT. But it took me 26 days of the 30 allowed to get the first retest and having failed that it still has to be retested within the original 30 days,tomorrow.

When i called this morning to cancel todays test, after trying for a half an hour to get through, I was told there was nothing that could be done, that it automatically has to have a full retest, even though the car should be ready by the end of the week.

Just as a side note, I was told that the earliest date available for the full retest is July,can i still drive the car between now and then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Hi thanks for replies, the car failed on emissions I dont have the sheet with me at the moment but it went from .69% CO2 to 3.76% or something like that. Diagnostics were done on the car and it seems a new air filter meter is required.

If it helps its a 01 passat 1.6 petrol. Fair enough the car failed the retest, not the fault of the NCT. But it took me 26 days of the 30 allowed to get the first retest and having failed that it still has to be retested within the original 30 days,tomorrow.

When i called this morning to cancel todays test, after trying for a half an hour to get through, I was told there was nothing that could be done, that it automatically has to have a full retest, even though the car should be ready by the end of the week.

Just as a side note, I was told that the earliest date available for the full retest is July,can i still drive the car between now and then?

IIRC , if you have booking sheet, you should be ok, and once you feel the car is ok to drive !

• Advertisement

The car is fine to drive as far as i know, the original booking sheet i have, however when you book a retest all you get is a text message with the details. Im awaiting a reply from an email I sent to NCTS before booking another retest. Surely there must be some discretion seeing as the car would be ready for a retest by the end of the week, only one or two days over the 30 timeframe allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Anan1 wrote: »
    From what you say, your mechanic, rather than the NCTS, sounds to be at fault.

Agreed. Does your mechanic have a 4 gas analyser??? If he does, there is no excuse for this happening, because whatever work he did on your car, he should have done an emissions test in house before sending your car off for an NCT re-test and if it wasn't passing that test, then you should have been advised of this. If he doesn't have the necessary equipment to test your engine emissions, and a lot of outlets don't, then I'd suggest finding a mechanic/garage who does have this equipment. NCT work is usually straightforward, provided that you have the correct equipment. If you don't, it can be an absolute headache...

The car is fine to drive as far as i know, the original booking sheet i have, however when you book a retest all you get is a text message with the details. Im awaiting a reply from an email I sent to NCTS before booking another retest. Surely there must be some discretion seeing as the car would be ready for a retest by the end of the week, only one or two days over the 30 timeframe allowed?

No, they don't do "discretion", at least not in relation to the re-test window and being fair to them, as far as I know, it's not that they won't but that they can't as their IT system just shuts you out after the 30 day's have passed and forces you to do another full test. It's a classic case of "Computer says no!"... In fairness to them, the problem here is your mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If you had a VagCom you would have diagnosed this yourself within 10min. Infact I have a new, unused one that would like fit directly in your car I was selling from the time this happened to me! Mass Airflow (MAF) meter failures are extremely common faults, it was due to the ineptitude of a dealer when dealing with a MAF failure that prompted me to buy a VagCom.

On the plus side, with a new MAF in place you will likely find you have better MPG and performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Why are you not fuming with the mechanic?!

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If you had a VagCom you would have diagnosed this yourself within 10min. Infact I have a new, unused one that would like fit directly in your car I was selling from the time this happened to me! Mass Airflow (MAF) meter failures are extremely common faults, it was due to the ineptitude of a dealer when dealing with a MAF failure that prompted me to buy a VagCom.

On the plus side, with a new MAF in place you will likely find you have better MPG and performance.

This could be a vacuum air leak, an end of life cat issue, a lambda sensor problem, a wiring issue, or several other issues or a combination of several issues. I'm all for DIY and folks taking on this stuff themselves but I think for an issue like this, you'll need a 4 gas analyser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

If its emissions it failed on it sounds like it could be your lamda sensor

or catalyic converter gone. I've found a product called Diptaine really

brings down any emissions. Pour half a bottle into a half tank a couple

of miles from the test centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FrankieD

This is a fairly common fault with the vw engines but the most common problem that causes it is the coolant temp switch(two fitted) which tells the comp the engine is cold (i.e. -40degs or so) and pumps in more fuel to compensate thus gives higher CO readings. I'm not saying its not the air flow meter but its a lot cheaper to replace the temp switch to see if rectifies your fault.

thanks very much for the replies, will suggest the temp switch to mechanic. booked in for next Wednesday so will report back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

thanks very much for the replies, will suggest the temp switch to mechanic. booked in for next Wednesday so will report back then.

You shouldn't have to suggest things to your mechanic, he should konw what to do.

As Darrragh said, if he doesn't have a 4 gas tester, no point going back to him, you are wasting your time and money.

This is important OP. If your mechanic hasn't got the equipment, you're wasting your time. Some garages are grand for mechanical work like clutches and headgaskets and that stuff but are bamboozled when it comes to engine diagnostics and emissisons work because they just haven't got the required hardware. In this case, you need to be dealing with an outlet that has a 4 gas analyser for a start.

Hi guys sorry i didnt post earlier. problem solved air flow meter appeared to b the culprit.passed with flying colours, mechanic took full responsibility paid for retest and no labour charges for the meter to be fit. Im happy with the outcome. Thanks again for all the replies.

Advertisement