Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar

Options
  • 04-05-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have been offered work in Qatar. Does anyone know if there is any type of social scene there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Stopped over in Doha before.

Probably the worst dump I've ever seen (besides Tipperary Town).

And they're strict Muslims over there as far as I know. So there wouldn't be a drinking scene I don't think.

I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Theres bars in all the hotels here, prices are comparable to home.

One off license on the island, employer must apply for a Liquor license before you can even go into the building.

Most people go out with their work colleagues as there isnt much social scene here so that will depend on who your working for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mc09

Thanks for reply. Do you know if friends can visit Qatar? Is there a requirement for visiting visas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Mc09 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Do you know if friends can visit Qatar? Is there a requirement for visiting visas etc.

Yes, its easy to get a visotor visa on an Irish passport. You can simply buy one on the way into the country, its QR20 (About E5) for a visit visa, the desks used to only accept credit card dont know if thats still the same. IIRC the visitor visa was valid for a month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Taught there for a year in 2006/2007. I think it's nicer than Tipperary Town anyway - and it's a peninsula, not an island. Though it may as well be an island because the Saudis are very strict about foreigners driving over the border.

If you're into sport it's pretty good, from October through to May the weather, in the evenings at least, is very comfortable, good opportunities for rugby/tag rugby/Gaelic/Aussie rules football all at the Rugby Club (which also has a normally priced bar that serves til all hours), squash/tennis/golf, watersports such as jet-skiing and scuba diving/trips out to the desert to go quad-biking and camping.

Traffic's chaotic. The main bars are the ones attached to hotels, some can be expensive enough, there's an Irish bar that opened in the Sheraton since I left.

Qatar can also be a good launch pad for travelling round the wider region, Air Arabia is the Ryanair of the region. A Ryanair with a Call to Prayer before take-off instead of the Venga Boysish annoying Europop that is.

What sort of work will you be doing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement