Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need temporary broadband while I renovate house - 6 months, any sugestions?

Options
  • 04-05-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I have to move out of my house for 6 months while we build an extension, really don't want to go without broadband for that time, especially since I play wow and will be crowded in place we move to so a place to escape would be welcome. Can anyone suggest a provider that I can connect to quickly and one that will give me a minimum contract period of no more than 6 months. If it matters I will already have a modem/router. Failing that I suppose i can just hope someone has a Wi-fi set up nearby that i can piggyback on. Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

oops i should have mentioned - i will be moving to leinster park in harolds cross for teh 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Fian wrote: »
    I have to move out of my house for 6 months while we build an extension, really don't want to go without broadband for that time, especially since I play wow and will be crowded in place we move to so a place to escape would be welcome. Can anyone suggest a provider that I can connect to quickly and one that will give me a minimum contract period of no more than 6 months. If it matters I will already have a modem/router. Failing that I suppose i can just hope someone has a Wi-fi set up nearby that i can piggyback on. Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

Well if you are with eircom you can get your number transferred to the new location for the duration of the build. this saves a lot of hassle!

While on that matter An Post can also redirect your post to the new location so you can keep your old address and all - just adds a little delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I use my 3 phone with data package for BB outside of my normal connection or wifi access. Not advocating another course of action but it is a fact that there are a lot of open wifi routers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Who are you currently with?
    Does the new house have a phone line?
    Is the exchange in that are broadband enabled?
    Is UPC available at that address?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can check with your mobile provider if they offer a good rate on data packages for your phone (assuming billpay) or mobile broadband.

i have a 250mb a month package on o2 for my mobile phone that I use for mobile browsing and the occasional use from a laptop via bluetooth using the mobile phone as a modem which works perfectly.

if you're using it a lot you'll obviously want to use more than that but i'm sure there are other better value packages available with other providers if you shop around.

EDIT: just re-read (read - properly read) your initial post and i don't think mobile broadband would cut it for any kind of gaming, but if you wanted to just browse the net and get your emails it would should work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

thanks very much for helpful replies. Unfortunately my mobile phone is from work, i don't have one of my own because i am permitted to make personal calls on work one. Trying to set up mobile internet with it though would just be far too much hassle. Nor can i transfer my number because my poor brother in law is haveing us descend on him for teh 6 months, he has his own landline and I can't displace his number. I assume since he is based in harold's cross in Dublin that the exchange is broadband enabled, i imagine it is only in rural areas exchanges are not, but perhaps i am wrong. I imagine the area is broadband enabled and probably is ok for upc. i'm currently with esat broadband iirc, and I imagine i will go with upc when i return, they have just comepleted installing network for digital tv and broadband at my current address. I popped over there this evening to drop over some furniture, brought laptop. Picked up 3 wifi signals from his house, all secured. If the worst comes to worst i might just ask his neighbour if I can piggyback on his signal for a few months, and ask for security key, with a nice bottle of whiskey or two as a thank you. If there are providers that are quickm to set up without a 12 month contract I would probably prefer to be independent though.

Advertisement