Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom update

Options
  • 04-05-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Hm. I just updated the maps on my TomTom Go 520T (having first copied my mapsettings.cfg file and put it somewhere safe.

It ate all my favourites, and to get them back, I used Restore. But does this just return the mapsettings.cfg file, or does it bring my machine back to the earlier map?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Koolkid, this is good. But is there any way to get the Go to tell me what version of the map it's using - I might not have to go through that kludgy system if the latest maps are in place.

Edit: actually it's not good, now that I've tried it. The Favourites didn't transfer over at all! The only way I can transfer them is by using Restore!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7028&Lid=1

But the general consensus "out there" is that copying cfg files are dodgy, and you should not expect it to work , thats why I have been creating my own POI category to save Favourites for some time now.

sharkman wrote: »
    thats why I have been creating my own POI category to save Favourites for some time now.

I've kind of given up on TomTom support - my yoke shed its "You have arrived at your destination" a month after I got it, which is to say February 2008, and I've been looking for a fix ever since without success. (It sometimes says it, but usually arrives *near* to where I'm going and says "Turn right (or left) and then...." and that's all she wrote - I'm on my own from there on. Sometimes it says "...you have reached your destination", usually it doesn't.

They sent me a method to fix this on a PC, but none for a Mac.

Anyway, I think it's actually a hardware issue.

But meanwhile, tell me more about this putting-favourites-in-POI method; you interest me!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

luckat wrote: »
    Koolkid, this is good. But is there any way to get the Go to tell me what version of the map it's using - I might not have to go through that kludgy system if the latest maps are in place.

Edit: actually it's not good, now that I've tried it. The Favourites didn't transfer over at all! The only way I can transfer them is by using Restore!
    On the summery screen touch version 8.***
    Screen will then show all the info you need.
    The method linked to has always worked for me.
    If you still have the backup try deleting all maps.
    Install the new map & copy file over again.

• Advertisement

Summery screen? Version 8??? Where are these? My screen is wintry all year round.

Oh, wait, is this some PC thing?

luckat wrote: »
    Summery screen? Version 8??? Where are these? My screen is wintry all year round.

Oh, wait, is this some PC thing?

This is the summery screem
    If you tap where its says version 8.**
    if will bring up information screen with map version etc.

Advertisement