Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moneenageisha Roundabout: Temporary Road Closures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

where is that roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Beside the Huntsman and G hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I thought that one was ffrench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

It is the Ffrench roundabout but everyone knows it as Móinn na gCseach from Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So it will be closed between 1900 and 0700 every night this week until Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I really hope this makes a big difference as its the worst of the Galway roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I really hope this makes a big difference as its the worst of the Galway roundabouts.
    :eek: How could you say that? Do you really think it's worse than the abomination just over the hill called the Headford Road (Magic) Roundabout?

Honestly, I can't see how changing the roundabout to a traffic light controlled junction is going to help. You're still going to have muppets heading out the Dublin road blocking the junction at peak times, blissfully ignorant of what they're doing. It's also not going to do much for the scrum that occurs at the roundabout beside the RTC.

malice_ wrote: »
    :eek: How could you say that? Do you really think it's worse than the abomination just over the hill called the Headford Road (Magic) Roundabout?

What is so magical about about the Headford road roundabout? I've heard this phrase so many times I'd like it explained!
    malice_ wrote: »
    Honestly, I can't see how changing the roundabout to a traffic light controlled junction is going to help. You're still going to have muppets heading out the Dublin road blocking the junction at peak times, blissfully ignorant of what they're doing. It's also not going to do much for the scrum that occurs at the roundabout beside the RTC.

If there is a yellow box in the junction most drivers won't go into the junction unless they can get out. That'll stop most people from blocking the road. Any car that does camp in the junction, feel free to use your horn to show them how you feel. The likelihood is is that they won't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

What is so magical about about the Headford road roundabout? I've heard this phrase so many times I'd like it explained!

Magic roundabout = Cars come out of nowhere

If there is a yellow box in the junction most drivers won't go into the junction unless they can get out. That'll stop most people from blocking the road. Any car that does camp in the junction, feel free to use your horn to show them how you feel. The likelihood is is that they won't do it again.

Do you drive around Galway at all?:confused: It wouldn't matter if there was a tank in the middle of the roundabout, in Galway it seems the majority of drivers don't have a clue about how to use a roundabout or obey road markings of any kind, a yellow box junction won't serve any purpose other than a road decoration.As for blowing your horn, do you really think people give a **** if your upset, most likely they are thinking "**** you wanker" when you give them a toot so its pointless only to satisfy your own frustration.

Im with malice_ on this one, what good are new junctions if people don't have any idea of how to use it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

LMFAO, yellow box will stop people from blocking the road!!!!

Most drivers in Galway think it's a freakin' parking space ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

I'm with padi89 and malice_ on this one. Galway drivers don't obey traffic laws, so we should discontinue all traffic laws in the city and dig up all the signs.

Nobody indicates anyway, so what's the point in indicators? Seat belts? Get the frak outta here!

In this new traffic dystopia, cars will be retrofitted with battlements and roundabouts shall be known as "deathcircles" where G4 Mummies in SUVs will do battle for the pleasure of the emperor.

@malice_ and padi89 I agree with your points that most Galway drivers haven't a clue. I do drive, I live on the east side of the city and go to college in NUIG so I hit the Headford road roundabout twice a day if not at least once a day and I experience shocking driving-most of it on roundabouts. We're on the same page as regards our opinion on drivers I'd say.

We could do a back and forth about the headford road roundabout but this is a thread about the Ffrench roundabout or soon to be lighted junciton :p.

One thing I will ask though is what would your alternative to a lighted roundabout be at the headford road roundabout. I think in terms of traffic management (giving all inbound roads a chance to get onto the roundabout) it does quite well and better than it would if there were no lights (think of peak traffic times).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

@malice_ and padi89 I agree with your points that most Galway drivers haven't a clue. I do drive, I live on the east side of the city and go to college in NUIG so I hit the Headford road roundabout twice a day if not at least once a day and I experience shocking driving-most of it on roundabouts. We're on the same page as regards our opinion on drivers I'd say.

We could do a back and forth about the headford road roundabout but this is a thread about the Ffrench roundabout or soon to be lighted junciton :p.

One thing I will ask though is what would your alternative to a lighted roundabout be at the headford road roundabout. I think in terms of traffic management (giving all inbound roads a chance to get onto the roundabout) it does quite well and better than it would if there were no lights (think of peak traffic times).

A big yellow box :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A series of Dukes of Hazzard style jumps.

"Folks in Hazzard County hadn't seen a Fiat Punto embedded into the side of Dunnes in a long time..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I don't really have an issue with the Headford Road roundabout setup, i was just explaining to you the name.The problem is people just don't have a clue how to use it or even bother to obey it if they do.Despite the fact there are large signs approaching, road marking arrows and lanes marked on the roundabout itself for correct use people still don't have a clue.There really isn't an answer to ignorance, if i had a choice though id have a Garda there lashing out fines left right and center i bet that would sort out the problems fairly quickly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

going to a thing in the eye tomorrow night. how the hell do i get back into town from the cinema? can turn left to the roundabout....and you cant leave the wellpark centre on the dublin road side...any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They'll prob let you go right at the Monivea Rd exit, which is not allowed today but ppl do anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 twinkle_toes

they shoulda built a bridge there over the middle of the roundabout from the hill to the dublin road and another bridge under that from wellpark rd to lough atalia rd. and then under them the traffic could fight it out to get from the hill to wellpark, lough atalia etc. bridges are cool.

on a less serious note...anyone know how people are goin to get out of the wellpark retail centre considerin you cant get straight out onto the dublin rd and you always had to go down round the roundabout to get where u wanted cos u couldnt turn right onto the wellpark road. and also the school on the dublin rd has no right turn out of it and i see people goin left, round the roundabout and back out dublin rd. what will they do?? oh wont someone please think of the children??!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I doubt many people will be leaving the school between the hours of 7pm and 7am.

Xiney wrote: »
    I doubt many people will be leaving the school between the hours of 7pm and 7am.

i meant once these traffic lights are up and running. never said anything about 7-7.

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »
    They'll prob let you go right at the Monivea Rd exit, which is not allowed today but ppl do anyway...

thats a b*tch to do in a big car.:pac:
    they'd want to tear up that traffic island in the middle and lower more of the footpath on the other side and warn pedistrians.

Sorry, I haven't read through all of the replies on this thread so someone may have already answered. It's a magic roundabout because that's how it works - magic! If you're driving through it, the best way to get around safely is to close your eyes and floor the accelerator. You'll arrive unscathed at the other side - by magic :).
    To be blunt, yellow boxes are pointless. People don't obey them at the best of times, even less when there's a lot of traffic. Once the traffic at a roundabout is at a crawl then people will enter it to cut off the other lane(s) that are in turn cutting them off. Laying on the horn will achieve nothing. I've never seen a driver put their hand up to apologise after I've honked at them :). Do you think they will realise that they are in the wrong and reverse back to where they should be (assuming that space is still there)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Worst freaking infrastructure upgrade ever!!!

Took me 30 minutes to travel the length of Lough Atalia (sp?) this morning, College road was completely blocked up also, the reason....

...they turned on the lights at Moneehageisha, I hope they just had the sequence messed up or something, otherwise this is a big step backwards from the roundabout that was there. Traffice moved better when the junction was in sh1t and had builders running about the place, no lights on it at all.

:(

I agree. I was surprised actually that no one else had posted a rant about it :). Normally I hit that junction in the morning before the traffic hits peak levels. It never used to take more than maybe 30 seconds to get to the other side (I go from the Sean Mulvoy side straight across to the Dublin Road side). This morning however I was stuck for just over 3 minutes waiting for the lights to change. I may have been particularly unlucky to hit it at the time I did but this "upgrade" has now made my traversal of the junction roughly 6 times slower. :mad:

As I stated earlier in the thread I still can't see how this change is going to be any help with the traffic problems at peak times. It will be interesting to see if the lines of traffic are any different this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yep far worse this mornign coming from cemetery cross down to turn left for mervue...

Well done Galway City Council, as usual you've managed to make a bad situation worse. clap clap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hang on, aren't these lights meant to be "intelligent"?

They'll start off slow and docile and then gradually become more advanced until they want to kill us all and enslave mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Robbo wrote: »
    Hang on, aren't these lights meant to be "intelligent"?

They'll start off slow and docile and then gradually become more advanced until they want to kill us all and enslave mankind.

*Ahem*... well I for one welcome our new multicoloured overlords...

*Ahem*... well I for one welcome our new multicoloured overlords...
    Someone had to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its Galway City Council, so I knew it was going to feck things up. I normally come in via the Monivea Rd, usually takes 15 mins from Doughiska to work by this route. Traffic at the time I come in is usually no more than 100m back from the roundabout, this morning it was backed up as far as Ballybane!
    I know they were supposed to be changing the light sequence today, tinkering with things to try to get them right, but they'd want to do a lot of bloody tinkering by the looks of it... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

I love the way everyone gets in the lane clearly marked as "turn right only" to go straight on when coming from the Moneenageisha Road.

I get into the correct lane to go straight (left hand lane), and when I get across to the Dublin road I immediately have to switch back into the right hand lane to get out of the bus lane, but that lane is already full of people who were in the incorrect lane in the first place, but they see me trying to merge out of the bus lane and think what a gob****e.

Advertisement