Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moneenageisha Roundabout: Temporary Road Closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Today I went from the Cemetry cross down towards this junction, in order to stop myself from blocking up the roundabout I got into the right hand side lane going down the hill, it was only by observing the sequence ahead did I realise that I would not be able to go ahead, thankfully some kind person let me pull into the correct lane and I was on my way. This was around 2pm.
    Fact is there are too many cars coming from that hill towards Dublin road for them all to fit into one lane, there needs to be a third shorter slip for vehicles turning right (by far the minority) letting the two lanes go left or straight on off the hill. A slip road heading two ways towards Lough Atalia road on the lake side of the Huntsman might help take pressure off the crossroads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow, today walking into town @ 2pm it was backed up the hill to the graveyard for no apparent reason, Ive never seen that before, 3 more cars and it would have been backed on to the roundabout, I stood there watching to see if that would happen for a minute and heard 2 different screechs of brakes and a load of horns down the bottom, it was pure chaos, walking back out @ 4pm it was backed up to the junction beside the Radison, walked the whole road beside the water about 10X faster than if I had to drive it and there were some seriously p1ssed off looking people in all the cars, this is with no roadworks or closed lanes or anything like that, everything was working fine just backed up, I dont think this is one of those instances of people complaining about something because its new, I think something might end up having to be done about this if it stays this way, whats it going to be like for the Volvo race or Race Week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

malice_ wrote: »
    You're coming off the bridge to turn right to go to the cinema. There are 4 lanes at the first set of lights that you come to. The left slip lane to go towards Menlo, a left turn lane, a straight on lane and a straight on/right turn lane. So, you take the only right turn lane. You then hit another set of lights. This set allows traffic to exit from the Sean Mulvoy road. There are now 3 lanes. A left turn lane to go into Tescos or into Woodquay, a middle lane to go to Woodquay and a right turn lane. Here is the problem: You're in the right turn lane from the first set of lights but you have to cross over into the middle lane in order to get to the Woodquay exit!

You need to be corrected.

There are 3 lines at the first set of lights you come to after the bridge, the slip road has nothing to do with the lights.

Lane markings are as follows:
    Left Turn Lane towards Headford
    Left or Straight ahead lane
    Straight ahead or Right Lane

If your coming over the bridge and you want to go to the cinema, enter in the right lane.As you come towards the Sean Mulvoy exit you filter into the middle lane as marked for straight ahead towards the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

On the other hand a friend of mine came up Lough Atalia road at 1030 and went onto the Dublin road within about two minutes. Flew through and hardly any traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Considering you appear to regard yourself as an expert could you enlighten the rest of us as how you would navigate the roundabout in the following scenario:

You're coming off the bridge to turn right to go to the cinema. There are 4 lanes at the first set of lights that you come to. The left slip lane to go towards Menlo, a left turn lane, a straight on lane and a straight on/right turn lane. So, you take the only right turn lane. You then hit another set of lights. This set allows traffic to exit from the Sean Mulvoy road. There are now 3 lanes. A left turn lane to go into Tescos or into Woodquay, a middle lane to go to Woodquay and a right turn lane. Here is the problem: You're in the right turn lane from the first set of lights but you have to cross over into the middle lane in order to get to the Woodquay exit!

Considering your snide comment in relation to me regarding myself as an expert I am not going to continue conversing this point. I'll instead reiterate what I have previously said, "The roundabout is actually easy to use if you have the cop on to be in the correct lane when going onto the roundabout." You can figure it out for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

Considering your snide comment in relation to me regarding myself as an expert I am not going to continue conversing this point. I'll instead reiterate what I have previously said, "The roundabout is actually easy to use if you have the cop on to be in the correct lane when going onto the roundabout." You can figure it out for yourself.

I just have to say that i totally agree with you. i have been going through that roundabout 4 times daily for the last 5 years and i only ever have a problem when someone else is in the wrong lane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Left Dun Aengus at 5 past 6 today, made a rookie mistake getting into the correct lane on Merchant's Road, said I wouldn't force my way back in and sure the Lough Atalia road couldn't be that bad, I knew it was backed up as far as town but thought it must be moving a bit.
    25 past 6 I had just got to the left turn that goes up towards Forster Street, was losing the will to live, went up that way and was home in Mervue in ten minutes. Good jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

"The roundabout is actually easy to use if you have the cop on to be in the correct lane when going onto the roundabout." You can figure it out for yourself.

Lets say I'm in the lane I've marked with the yellow arrow, and I want to take the third exit to head out past Dunnes. The road markings clearly indicate that I am in the correct lane. But, as I get a quarter way round the roundabout, we magically see the creation of a lane out of thin air, marked by the black arrow, which forces you to basically switch lanes mid roundabout.

I'm sorry to say but there is definate ambiguity on the layout of the roundabout, espessially for new comers.

round.jpg

elyod wrote: »
    Lets say I'm in the lane I've marked with the yellow arrow, and I want to take the third exit to head out past Dunnes. The road markings clearly indicate that I am in the correct lane. But, as I get a quarter way round the roundabout, we magically see the creation of a lane out of thin air, marked by the black arrow, which forces you to basically switch lanes mid roundabout.

I'm sorry to say but there is definate ambiguity on the layout of the roundabout, espessially for new comers.

round.jpg

Forces you to switch lanes? :confused:
    Why exactly are you switching lanes? Can you not see the road markings are filtering you out from the inside lane so you have the option for the Bridge or towards Dunnes as the arrows have clearly marked.
    Is that you in the silver car at 8 o'clock?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Oh man I can't wait to see this new system in place when I come back to Galway - i'll be needing to go through that junction quite a lot :o

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    Why exactly are you switching lanes? Can you not see the road markings are filtering you out from the inside lane so you have the option for the Bridge or towards Dunnes as the arrows have clearly marked.

It is impossible to go from Quincentennial to the direct entrance to Tesco legally on that roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

You say filtering I say dangerous changing of lane mid roundabout especially when nobody seems to follow the dotted lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I was leaving work at half bloody ten this evening on College Road heading towards the lights, and hit traffic just past hte first set of lights, between them and Statoil. It'd be empty that time of night usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

It is impossible to go from Quincentennial to the direct entrance to Tesco legally on that roundabout.

How is that impossible? you start in the right lane as you are taking the 3rd exit like on any round about and you move to the left as you pass the seanmulvoy exit you filter left to get into the tesco exit lane. that is pretty basic roundabout behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wrong , you stay in right lane coming off bridge , head for Sean Mulvoy road and indicate right as you pass the Dunnes exit then turn right into the leftmost of the 3 lanes to the west of the sean mulvoy exit when you are allowed to so do ( at the very last minute admittedly )

You are now positioned in the correct lane when you get the light sequence that allows you to head into to Tesco . I recommend you indicate left as soon as you enter that short lane which will only take 2 or 3 cars .

elyod wrote: »
    You say filtering I say dangerous changing of lane mid roundabout

LOL, what are you on about? Can you doodle another picture there to show me exactly where you are changing lanes? The fact is you are not changing lanes, if you cannot understand traffic filtering then you shouldn't drive.
    The only "dangerous" aspect is when people like you refuse to accept the road markings as they are and make up their own rules.

I see irisheddie85 has already explained this to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Coming out from Wellpark retail, on Wednesday at 9PM, took 10 minutes to get the 30 meters to and past those lights that used to take about 30 seconds. Can't being to fathom how it functions during actual rush hour traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The filter lanes on the roundabout aren't too bad, except when the guy beside you decides he is in the middle lanes and that's where he is staying lines be dammed.

Moneenageisha remains a disaster with traffic backed up to Thermo King until late morning these days.
    The council says it will all be working great by wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

dloob wrote: »
    The council says it will all be working great by wednesday.

Well if the council said it it must be true:).
    after going through there a few times off peak the last 3 days i think the problem is they tried to get too fancy with the sequences and are giving right of way to left and right turns where it isnt needed. this slowing everything down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

...if you cannot understand traffic filtering then you shouldn't drive.
    The only "dangerous" aspect is when people like you refuse to accept the road markings as they are and make up their own rules.

QFT

Think i'm just going to avoid this place for a while. When heading Salthill => Renmore i'm gonna take Quin Bridge and use the outer by-pass.... it'll be a much longer journey but sounds quicker from feedback given here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You need to be corrected.

There are 3 lines at the first set of lights you come to after the bridge, the slip road has nothing to do with the lights.

Lane markings are as follows:
    Left Turn Lane towards Headford
    Left or Straight ahead lane
    Straight ahead or Right Lane

If your coming over the bridge and you want to go to the cinema, enter in the right lane.As you come towards the Sean Mulvoy exit you filter into the middle lane as marked for straight ahead towards the cinema.
    Okay, I could have omitted the slip lane description altogether but even ignoring that pointless display of pedanticism, in your post you say:
    As you come towards the Sean Mulvoy exit you filter into the middle lane as marked for straight ahead towards the cinema.
    Do you honestly not see the ambiguity of what you've written? When do you filter? What happens if the lane on your left is full of cars and no one lets you in?
    You seem a bit sensitive. Relax, it's just a debate! You're saying the roundabout is actually easy to use if you have the cop on to be in the correct lane and I'm pointing out a common situation where to be in the correct lane requires you to cut into another lane at a poorly-defined point where your visibility can be impaired due to the curved road.

For what it's worth I think we all agree that roundabouts are fine once people adhere to the clearly-defined rules. The problem is, of course, that so many drivers just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Do you honestly not see the ambiguity of what you've written? When do you filter? What happens if the lane on your left is full of cars and no one lets you in?

That's the problem with the magic roundabout, as soon as people start to misuse it, then it forces other people to misuse it in a domino effect.

You move left as you cross Sean Mulvey Road.

If everyone was using the roundabout correctly that lane would have no cars in it, as the cars should be coming from your lane. Any cars left of you should be continuing up Sean Mulvey road, and there should be no traffic backed up because nobody has accelerated through the orange or red coming from the Headford road.

Unfortunately any idiot in the lane to your left who doesn't go up Sean Mulvey road, or any idiot coming from the Headford road who jumps an orange or red ballses the whole thing up. And it happens. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Think i'm just going to avoid this place for a while. When heading Salthill => Renmore i'm gonna take Quin Bridge and use the outer by-pass.... it'll be a much longer journey but sounds quicker from feedback given here

:eek:

John, I hope you have a 4X4 that can drive through bog cotton no bother and transform into a flotation device for crossing the Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

KevR wrote: »

John, I hope you have a 4X4 that can drive through bog cotton no bother and transform into a flotation device for crossing the Corrib.

Nope he's just going to use his doomsday device to create a localised rip in the space-time continuum to travel forward to 2072 when the outer bypass is opened and back again when he gets to Renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

3am-ish this morning in a taxi coming from Lough Atalia, another car opposite who came from wellpark and a taxi who came from renmore side...all stopped at lights for a good few minutes waiting for all the pedestrians to cross!! :confused:

KevR wrote: »

Heh, sorry I meant the ring-road thingy currently in place - ie. Out by Barry Motors, up towards the Tuam Road, then behind the Ballybane Ind Estate and then down by Kumarket

Ya cheeky pup :pac:

Nope he's just going to use his doomsday device to create a localised rip in the space-time continuum to travel forward to 2072 when the outer bypass is opened and back again when he gets to Renmore.

I like your idea and i'm going to use it :D

• Advertisement

Ok maybe 'illegal' was a strong word but its an awful manoevre. Its ok once you've seen it spelt out for you on Google maps, but damn if you're on the ground its a bastard of a thing.

Advertisement