Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moneenageisha Roundabout: Temporary Road Closures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

malice_ wrote: »
    Do you honestly not see the ambiguity of what you've written?
    No
    When do you filter?
    Ive drawn you a picture
    12.jpg
    What happens if the lane on your left is full of cars and no one lets you in?
    You wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Source your own image damit *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

padi89 wrote: »
    No
    Ive drawn you a picture
    12.jpg

You wait

Hey padi, not saying you are wrong or anything, but it's still a balls of a junction, as per your diagram you have to cross two lanes (broken lines and all that yeah) on a friggin roundabout that is choc full of cars rushing around the place. There has to be a better solution (walk?).

Hrumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Most Galway Children should be raised on GTA. The only way to get through traffic is every man for her self, whoever says indifferent is late for work. ok go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GalwayCityGirl

This idea by Galway City Council must be the worst yet, instead of easing conjection in the city it has made it worse, so bad that now throughout the day the traffic is now backed up from the roundabout down Lough Atalia(now takes 1/2 an hour to drive down this road which is the main access to the city from Dublin!!)traffic is backed up College Road to Forster st, backed up the hill and to Bohermore, backed up past Thermoking in Mervue and up the Dublin road etc etc

I wonder if these wizards in Gal City Council have anyone on the roads to take note of the congestion issues which have now arised because of this plan. It now takes me an hour, sometimes more to get in and out of work from the East Side to city centre each day!! and its throughout the day that the traffic is horrendous, not just at rush hour.

Commuters in Galway are so frustrated now that they do not abide by the rules of the road, yellow box's seem invisible to them and traffic lights, well red and amber seems to make them drive "quickly" past the light.
    The Garda should be manning the junctions at ruch hour, happens in dublin and it works. I guess Galway will follow suit in 5/10 years!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

This idea by Galway City Council must be the worst yet, instead of easing conjection in the city it has made it worse, so bad that now throughout the day the traffic is now backed up from the roundabout down Lough Atalia(now takes 1/2 an hour to drive down this road which is the main access to the city from Dublin!!)traffic is backed up College Road to Forster st, backed up the hill and to Bohermore, backed up past Thermoking in Mervue and up the Dublin road etc etc

I wonder if these wizards in Gal City Council have anyone on the roads to take note of the congestion issues which have now arised because of this plan. It now takes me an hour, sometimes more to get in and out of work from the East Side to city centre each day!! and its throughout the day that the traffic is horrendous, not just at rush hour.

Commuters in Galway are so frustrated now that they do not abide by the rules of the road, yellow box's seem invisible to them and traffic lights, well red and amber seems to make them drive "quickly" past the light.
    The Garda should be manning the junctions at ruch hour, happens in dublin and it works. I guess Galway will follow suit in 5/10 years!!

Just wait till the volvo ocean race traffic hits not
    to mention the races its gonna be bedlam :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sounds like a junction to avoid, which is a right pain in the ass!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Sounds like a junction to avoid, which is a right pain in the ass!

I do think a lot of people are doing the same thing tbh
    did you see the jams heading towards headford roundabout
    yesterday evening???
    utter chaos

Oh I just can't wait to return to Galway in 2 weeks :rolleyes::(

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Oh I just can't wait to return to Galway in 2 weeks :rolleyes::(

I suggest some dry goods and plenty of liquid
    refreshments for the journey :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

minxie wrote: »

And a good cd:O:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

padi89 wrote: »
    No
    Ive drawn you a picture
    12.jpg

Ok as a followup I drove this roundabout today, not quite the route on the arrow but Quin -> City centre (past Lidl and Argos). Yes, of course the route shown works, but its the road lines that are the problem. Although the manoevre is legal (unlike what I said), it damn feels illegal on the ground. You feel like you're cutting across lanes. To go from Quin - Tesco is even worst. Although you arent really doing it, it really feels like you're blatently cutting across lanes.

Edit: And unless you'd studied it on Google Earth etc, I'd say most drivers wouldnt have a clue what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Edit: And unless you'd studied it on Google Earth etc, I'd say most drivers wouldnt have a clue what to do.

Maybe the Galway driving test should incorporate a visual test of this roundabout. Give them the picture above with glass over it and get them to use whiteboard markers to mark how they go from each entrance to exit. If they don't get 100% of the routes right they fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

minxie wrote: »

Don't forget an empty bottle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

While I do agree that we should have traffic wardens at the main junctions during peak times I can't say I have ever seen the Gardai out in Dublin directing traffic on a normal day no matter how busy it gets. I've only ever seen them out around Croke Park when there's a match on; if there's a big match on in Perse Stadium or another big event in Galway they'll be out here too.

It really annoys me that they will be out during the Races (Horse) and during the Ocean Race directing traffic but never on a normal day - god forbid any tourists should have to sit in traffic but Galway people can eff right off for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Whatever was wrong with the roundabout - the fec*in lights are 10 time worse....ok, it might not be too bad coming from City Hall on College road at 4pm now, but the rest of the place has gone tits up!:mad: it took a bus leaving kent station an hour to get to moneenageisha lights last week - progress me arse! can't believe they got it so wrong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

They should have left the orginal traffic lights in (before roundabout) and shaved themselves a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DD67 wrote: »
    They should have left the orginal traffic lights in (before roundabout) and shaved themselves a packet.
    When was the roundabout put in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Every county council gets allocated X amount of money every year, if they don't spend all of it, the next year they only get what they spent the previous year.

This encourages them to try and spend the maximum amount each year, so they will get the maximum the next year.

Thus the creation of pointless expensive projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

elyod wrote: »
    Every county council gets allocated X amount of money every year, if they don't spend all of it, the next year they only get what they spent the previous year.

This encourages them to try and spend the maximum amount each year, so they will get the maximum the next year.

Someone should give Michael Douglas a call.
    He could go all "Falling Down" on their ass:D

• Advertisement

elyod wrote: »

I doubt the traffic lights at Moneenagisha were done to use up our road funding allocation. There are loads of roads around Galway which actually need work carried out on them (such as resurfacing or junction upgrades). I think they honestly believed that the lights would be a big improvement on the roundabout (hopefully when then sequencing is tweeked they will be better).

Usually it's towards the end of the year that you will see a bit of a dash with road projects trying to use up the last of the allocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Generally a junction with lights like this is higher capacity than a roundabout, so I dunno why its so bad. I genuinly thought that this would save a lot of problems (so long as they sequenced the lights somehow with the Lough Atalia and College Road ones). Cant belive it seems to have gone so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Why, were beards popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

7:10pm yesterday (Monday) - plain sailing in all directions! Are things getting better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JustMary wrote: »
    7:10pm yesterday (Monday) - plain sailing in all directions! Are things getting better?

Yeah the city council said last week they are spending this week tweaking the signals on approach roads.
    I was there earlier sans motorcar, the pedestrian light took almost 6 minutes to activate - not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

snubbleste wrote: »
    I was there earlier sans motorcar, the pedestrian light took almost 6 minutes to activate - not good.

As a driver I disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

i second that emotion - feck the pedestrians - they should be letting us suburban/country folk out of the city as quick as possible:pac:

A smart person will not need to use pedestrian crossing lights. Any bit of cop on and you can just cross when the lights go red, stop in the island in the middle of the road, and unless you're a granny you'll have time to cross before the lights go green for the other traffic.

I never use pedestrian crossing lights - waste of time and just creates traffic imho. I fcuking HATE when people use them, a total pet hate of mine (with the exception of old people etc. who can't walk fast/run - then it's totally acceptable)

Well said John.

I don't use them either unless traffic is very busy and fast.

It really annoys me when driving along towards a pedestrian crossing (one of the ones on a straight stretch, not at a junction) with no cars behind me or nothing coming against and someone walks up to the pedestrian crossing and presses the button meaning I have to stop at the red light.

When I'm in the same situation as a pedestrian and can see there's nothing else behind the car and nothing coming the other way I'd just wait 2 seconds for the car to pass and then cross without pressing the button. Makes no sense to press the button in such a situation - anyone who does so is either a dimwit or spiteful.

Also, annoying when at junctions someone presses the button and then proceeds to not wait for the green man and crosses the way John said. Then the green man comes on, the pedestrian is already across the road, nobody is crossing and a load of motorists are left sitting at a red light for no good reason. If you don't intend on waiting for the green man to cross then don't press the frickin button!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

While we're on the subject of pedestrians, another pet hate of mine as a motorist is when you're the first car at a junction and pedestrians insist on walking in front of you even though you could be about to drive off. What they should do is walk behind the first car (at least) so that it can exit the junction safely.

Advertisement