Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moneenageisha Roundabout: Temporary Road Closures

Options

Comments

Why should pedestrians have to run out of the way so that cars don't have to slow down?

The roundabout was very dangerous for pedestrians - crossing on the Dublin road side there was three lanes to cross with an almost constant flow of traffic and then two lanes with traffic coming from any direction.

The new layout makes it easier to cross without necessarily needing the lights - you only have to look for traffic coming from one direction at a time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Don't you know that pedestrians are engaged in a war with motorists and deliberately use tools such as pedestrian crossings to impede the steady flow of vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Why should pedestrians have to run out of the way so that cars don't have to slow down?

Eh, maybe because roads were built for cars, and not pedestrians? :rolleyes: (Didn't think that one through, did ya?)

-Edit- Just to make it clear, I ask as much as possible and like walking so my posts aren't intended to be pedestrian bashing. However, when walking i'm considerate to drivers when crossing the roads, basicly because roads were built for cars, not for walking along (that's what foothpaths are for :pac:) - I'm also considerate to pedestrians when driving (ie. i'll let someone cross the road, even if not at lights etc. if I can see they're having trouble getting accross) - It's all about a little common sense folks. Unfortunately, sense aint all that common :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

snubbleste wrote: »
    Don't you know that pedestrians are engaged in a war with motorists and deliberately use tools such as pedestrian crossings to impede the steady flow of vehicles?

Well, as I said previously, if it's not spiteful/deliberate then it's stupidity.

I always like the way you can't make any sort of a sensible comment about how pedestrians or cyclists could maybe do something differently without someone taking huge offence and going off on a defensive rant which ignores the sensible comment and basically implies that all motorists hate pedestrians and cyclists. :)

In addition to being a motorist, I am also a pedestrian and a cyclist. Whether I am driving, walking or cycling I try to get where I'm going in an effecient manner without holding others up. It would be nice if other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists could show the same consideration to me and everyone else - maybe, just maybe, Galway would then be a little easier to get around for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thanks KevR, I'm back safely in my place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

KevR wrote: »
    snubbleste wrote: »

Bring on the rage.....

road_rage_los_angeles.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

malice_ wrote: »
    pedestrians insist on walking in front of you even though you could be about to drive off. What they should do is walk behind the first car (at least) so that it can exit the junction safely.

Pedestrians have the right-of-way if you're stationary as far as I know, once they're on the road in any situation a pedestrian has the right of way (see rules of the road)

I had to cross that roundabout regularly on foot and it was lethal, you had no chance if you were elderly. People regularly had to cross the three lanes opposite the G as to try to cross closer to the roundabout was tough. The pedestrian lights were an excellent addition IMO.

The junction looked well behaved this morning so maybe it's improved.

The big problem in this city is that a lot of the junctions and roundabouts are designed for the free flow of cars not pedestrians and cyclists.

Put that with the poor quality of driving at roundabouts and that is the reason for our frustration.

The lights at the bottom of Bothar Ui Hithir (by Forster place / the new bus station) are particularly bad - the pedestrian button resets itself without going green - I have waited through two full cycles of lights and then had to cross with a red man anyways - and because there could be cars or busses coming around the corner turning right you are taking a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Brouhaha wrote: »
    Pedestrians have the right-of-way if you're stationary as far as I know, once they're on the road in any situation a pedestrian has the right of way (see rules of the road)

First off thats not the rules of the road site :P.

Secondly I dont think any driver has a problem with letting a pedestrian cross if they are stationary but would like if they would cross behind the first car at the junction. I know when I am crossing I will always try go behind the first car to allow them move off if they have the chance once your across the car behind can pull up and wait for its turn to move off. At least that way it allows traffic to move along by one car at least. Maybe its just drivers that see why that would make life easier...

I used to cross behind the first car until one rolled back into me. I wasn't injured other than a bruise but I don't generally do it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Walking behind the first row of cars at a junction instead of using the actual junction is such a ridiculous idea, you actually want people to put their common sense and personal safety aside and probably disobey the rules of the road aswell just to save you about 5 seconds? How many times does it inconvenience you anyway, once a month? Another thing is cars back there will be mainly watching the car in front and when they see it pulling away they might just go for it, so you get run over what do you think the first question a Garda is going to ask when the driver tells them where you were crossing? Just an idiotic suggestion really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Thargor wrote: »
    Walking behind the first row of cars at a junction instead of using the actual junction is such a ridiculous idea, you actually want people to put their common sense and personal safety aside and probably disobey the rules of the road aswell just to save you about 5 seconds? How many times does it inconvenience you anyway, once a month? Another thing is cars back there will be mainly watching the car in front and when they see it pulling away they might just go for it, so you get run over what do you think the first question a Garda is going to ask when the driver tells them where you were crossing? Just an idiotic suggestion really.

And where do you think the car at the junction is looking if say they are turning left? To the right the direction your not coming from! Then again if you cross in front of the first car and the lane on the outside is free (if there are two lanes) your still likely to get hit. Remember you should not walk out into the road with a vechicle obstructing your view or that of the driver who you step out in front of. Dont you remember when back in school you were always told cross the road behind the bus and not infront. Were those safety posters and ad's all wrong? Actually no go read the rules of the road and you will still see them there.

Honestly tell me why its ridiculous? Tell me why its any more dangerous to do what I suggested? To be honest if you step down onto the road (bar at a zebra/ped crossing) without making sure traffic is stopped and not just about to pull off you would not even deserve to be in the darwin awards.

Editting to add one other little thing: Due to reaction times of drivers, crossing futher down the line means you have more time to get across as if the first car pulls off the second car takes time to react to this and move and the 3rd car even more and so on and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I disagree with just about everything you say in that post, your post is far more idiotic than the earlier posters suggestion which you are referring to..

I had a quick look at the road safety authority website and there is nothing there in either the section for drivers or pedestrians other than a vague:
    In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to:

pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads,
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

Edit: from the section on junctions:
    Vehicles do not have an automatic right of way on the road. The overriding rule is, in all circumstances, proceed with caution.

You must always yield to:

pedestrians already crossing at a junction,
    pedestrians on a zebra crossing,
    pedestrians on a pelican crossing when the amber light is flashing, and
    pedestrians and traffic when you are moving off from a stationary position (for example from your position at a stop sign or a parking space).
    To avoid doubt and in the interest of road safety a vehicle should always yield to pedestrians. You must also yield to:
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/junctions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Thats plain daft what you are saying,

As a driver if i am second in line at lights you are looking at the lights and also the car in front so as to know when to pull away. If a pedestrian walks into the gap while you are waiting you will see that person as your attention, if the lights go green, will be on the car in front and hence the person walking in front of you.
    If your the first car in line and you are looking at lights and you are turning for arguments sake left you will be looking left and not at a pedestrian who may be approaching from the right.

As a pedestrian I always feel safer crossing between cars if there is any question of where the drivers attention is focussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nope, the rules of the road or any other guidance is not going to advise anyone to go wandering back past the front cars, for the simple reason that its not safe, you cross at the junction or the crossing because thats where the driver is most alert and watchful, wonder if theres any Gardaí on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Nope, the rules of the road or any other guidance is not going to advise anyone to go wandering back past the front cars, for the simple reason that its not safe, you cross at the junction or the crossing because thats where the driver is most alert and watchful, wonder if theres any Gardaí on Boards.

You really shouldn't believe everything you read in some manual.

Have you ever actually driven a car in traffic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I had a quick look at the road safety authority website and there is nothing there in either the section for drivers or pedestrians other than a vague:

You left out the rest of the first condition

pedestrians already crossing at a junction,

actually reads in my copy

pedestrians already crossing at a junction if you have to cross a white line to get the cúnt

If they are between you and the white line it is game on although the inevitable peeler may question your paternity and observational skills I find :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sponge Bob wrote: »

pedestrians already crossing at a junction if you have to cross a white line to get the cúnt

that makes no sense either. in most Irish junctions if a pedestrian were to do that they'd actually be walking in the middle of the junction.

in short Irish rules of the road make no sense. neither motorists nor pedestrians can be relied on to use their common sense.

burn 'em all i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, annoying when at junctions someone presses the button and then proceeds to not wait for the green man and crosses the way John said. Then the green man comes on, the pedestrian is already across the road, nobody is crossing and a load of motorists are left sitting at a red light for no good reason. If you don't intend on waiting for the green man to cross then don't press the frickin button!

Intelligent light should have sensors to detect if that's happened and to override the button push. I don't know if ours will have this, but they should!

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Eh, maybe because roads were built for cars, and not pedestrians? :rolleyes: (Didn't think that one through, did ya?)

Most of the roads in Ireland were made for donkeys pulling cards, the donkeys have very kindly agreed to share their roadway with the cars, and you should be grateful to them for it!

:pac:

Webbs wrote: »
    Thats plain daft what you are saying,

As a driver if i am second in line at lights ...

When I first read the post about crossing behind the first car, I thought "that's daft". But then I got thinking about the difference between lights-controlled junctions and other ones:

At non-lights junctons then crossing behind the first car (at least) is usually what I do, for exactly the reason given. This can sometimes make the 2nd half of the crossing more risky because drivers coming around the corner may not expect me to be there.

At junctions that are lights-controlled, when I'm using the lights I'll go in front of the first car: it's safe because the lights are "stopping" the driver (a huge act of faith there, I know, but it's worked so far!). But if I'm jaywalking, I'll treat it as in the para above.

Can't remember what the law says, but when I'm driving I treat it as "Give way to pedestrians. All pedestrians." Cuts down the likelihood of pesky crashes, panelbeating and court appearances.

NB Every pedestrian you see walking along the road is one more potential car that could be on the road adding to the traffic jams, but isn't. So be nice to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If I hold up a motorist for what is probably less than 5 seconds, is it really my fault that they get bent out of shape and it ruins their whole day?

Maybe drivers just need to put things in perspective - like the fact that in 5 minutes I will have gone 200m, and they'll have gone 3km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Brand new clean and sparkling traffic lights + sunshine = dispersion of light and not being able to tell which light is on. Someone should throw a bucket of mucky water on them.

They seem to be replacing a lot traffic lights with these new clean slimline ones at various junctions around the city.

JustMary wrote: »
    Intelligent light should have sensors to detect if that's happened and to override the button push. I don't know if ours will have this, but they should!
    A few traffic lights around Galway have these sensors (I think the new Moneenageisha junction has them). I wonder are they very effective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Eh...from what I have seen, no.

That's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

That's a pity.

But not a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Xiney wrote: »
    Maybe drivers just need to put things in perspective - like the fact that in 5 minutes I will have gone 200m, and they'll have gone 3km.

Yes, and we pay a mighty price to the Government for the pleasure.

First there's the VAT on the car
    Then there's tax on the fuel
    Then there's tax on the car itself
    Then there's the oul VAT on everything I buy for the car such as oil, parts, tyres etc...

Pedestrians might need to buy shoes more often, that's about it

Fcukit, I demand the right to driver over pedestrians! :D

(Don't take this too seriously pedestrians, as I said I walk as much as I drive and when in Galway usually walk the prom/claddagh/docks/town 2-3 times a week to relax)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Wow, you mean driving isn't free?! I mean, I knew there was a reason I can't drive yet... but this is news to me :(

(So basically, you're saying that because you're paying to use the road, you should get priority? Pfft. That's like first class passengers getting parachutes to escape off a crashing plane and the lowly people in economy being left to jump out with those blow up slides)

Advertisement