Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moneenageisha Roundabout: Temporary Road Closures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Pedestrians in Galway suck at being pedestrians.

I could have run over 4-5 people the few months I've been here. And I actually mean if I wasn't paying full attention and anticipating them running straight out in front of me, I would have hit them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

elyod wrote: »
    Pedestrians in Galway suck at being pedestrians.

I could have run over 4-5 people the few months I've been here. And I actually mean if I wasn't paying full attention and anticipating them running straight out in front of me, I would have hit them.

Take that back!
    We pedestrians pride ourselves in our agility, our graceful movements, eco-friendly glow and wear our worn leather shoes as a badge of honour. In galway, more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Xiney wrote: »
    Wow, you mean driving isn't free?! I mean, I knew there was a reason I can't drive yet... but this is news to me :(

(So basically, you're saying that because you're paying to use the road, you should get priority? Pfft. That's like first class passengers getting parachutes to escape off a crashing plane and the lowly people in economy being left to jump out with those blow up slides)

As a pedestrian, I wouldn't like if a car decided to drive on the foothpath - so why should drivers accept people strolling accross the road when it suits them?

And of course someone who contributes financially to something should get priority than someone who doesn't - but I take it that you were being sarcastic there so i'll let you away with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If I was driving, though, I'd be another road user, contributing to the otherwise abysmal traffic in this city. So really, I feel that drivers should pay me not to drive :)

(Since that's never going to happen, I aim to join the rest of the flock in CO2 emitting, ass widening, expensive private transportation by Fall)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

The new lights are terrible. Spent 30 mins in the eye car park after a movie, trying to get out with the trafiic, never would of happened with the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

toxick wrote: »
    The new lights are terrible. Spent 30 mins in the eye car park after a movie, trying to get out with the trafiic, never would of happened with the roundabout.

100% agree.....Is very hard to get out of wellpark but would it make sense if they now let cars out onto the dublin road enterence just to not have all the cars pass through the lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Bummer wrote: »
    100% agree.....Is very hard to get out of wellpark but would it make sense if they now let cars out onto the dublin road enterence just to not have all the cars pass through the lights?

Hmm thats weird, I thought they had semi-officially opened the Dublin Road exit? I say semi-officially, as all they had done was permenantly raise the barrier and have a hi-vis burly stand there looking disinterested as he waved people on :)
    That was last week some time, dunno if its still the case...either way, there was only room for cars going one direction at a time at the gate, so take it handy if you're trying it. Either way, looks like its their intention to open up the gate so Wellpark can avoid the lights..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

lampsie wrote: »
    Hmm thats weird, I thought they had semi-officially opened the Dublin Road exit? I say semi-officially, as all they had done was permenantly raise the barrier and have a hi-vis burly stand there looking disinterested as he waved people on :)
    That was last week some time, dunno if its still the case...either way, there was only room for cars going one direction at a time at the gate, so take it handy if you're trying it. Either way, looks like its their intention to open up the gate so Wellpark can avoid the lights..

They have opened it at some times anyway.
    It used to be able to fit two cars before they stuck in the big concrete bit to stop cars going out that way.
    Now they raise the barrier and stick "Slow Oncoming Traffic" signs out on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Bummer wrote: »

I agree with your above point and I'd also suggest the following. There is room to widen the road further where the bus stop is on the left by removing some of the footpath back as far as the exit to the retail park. This would allow a longer section of the 2 lanes leading up to the traffic lights. As a long queue of cars going straight ahead (towards Huntsman) or right would block other cars who simply wanted to go left up the Dublin Road.

Have seen a lot of cars coming from the dublin road going to college road bypassing the junction flying through the Huntsman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

"Magic roundabout" was mad at half 6 today,never again!...stupid boat race :confused:

Manic traffic out there earlier
    College road & Bothar Ui Eithir backed up both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Anyone else think the sequencing of these lights has improved?

I have passed through a couple of times off-peak in the last couple of days and the sequences seem better and traffic seemed to be flowing better.

What's it like during peak times?

Will probably have to wait a few more days for the dust to fully settle on the Ocean Race before we can make a final judgement of how well they will work in normal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its improved but the pedestrian lights are still turning green even when there are no pedestrians and no one has pressed the button, holding up traffic unnecessarily. Before the peds here jump down my throat, I've no problem sharing the road, but its ridiculous to have traffic stopped for pedestrians crossing when there are no feckin pedestrians!

To me it looked like the pedestrian lights would automatically go green (without anyone pressing the button) for a certain part of the junction while traffic at that part was stopped anyway because a different part of the junction had a green light for traffic.

I don't have a problem with that if that's what is happening, makes sense really.

Unless it's a case of traffic in all directions at the same time being automatically stopped for pedestrians when nobody has pressed the button. I've never seen this happen here but I haven't really passed through that much. Has anyone else seen this happen?

If that's what is happening then that's stupid and I would have a very big problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

KevR wrote: »
    Anyone else think the sequencing of these lights has improved?

I have passed through a couple of times off-peak in the last couple of days and the sequences seem better and traffic seemed to be flowing better.

What's it like during peak times?
    I drove that way a couple of times last week during the afternoon(between 1pm and 3pm) and one look at the backed-up roundabout at Cemetary Cross sent me out the Tuam Road instead every time.

Has the new junction layout made any difference to anyone travelling out of the city at peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

KevR wrote: »
    To me it looked like the pedestrian lights would automatically go green (without anyone pressing the button) for a certain part of the junction while traffic at that part was stopped anyway because a different part of the junction had a green light for traffic.

I don't have a problem with that if that's what is happening, makes sense really.

Unless it's a case of traffic in all directions at the same time being automatically stopped for pedestrians when nobody has pressed the button. I've never seen this happen here but I haven't really passed through that much. Has anyone else seen this happen?

If that's what is happening then that's stupid and I would have a very big problem with that.

Happened last night about 11, there were cars at all 4 entrances to the junction waiting while the pedestrian lights went green. Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It seems to have improved traffic coming in the Dublin Road in the mornings, but possibly at the cost of traffic coming from cemetary cross.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Happened last night about 11, there were cars at all 4 entrances to the junction waiting while the pedestrian lights went green. Ridiculous!

That's crazy if it's automatically doing that. I wonder could anyone have pressed the button and then crossed without waiting for the green man?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

still not good coming from headford road direction at any time. The pedestrian lights only go green in front of traffic that is stoped already for other traffic.

There is no point in the sequence where only the pedestrians get to go. that is why all the traffis islands have cages on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Zzippy wrote: »

No just one of the people you were looking at didnt see a green light in front of them happens alot in Galway. Thats why you have a horn

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

I think theres a problem going east from cemetary cross to moneenageisha junction. there are two lanes down the hill, but the right is for right turns only. As far as I can see, few cars make a right turn there, so most cars have to use the left lane which gets backed all the way back up to cemetary cross.
    If they could fit in a left filter at moneenageish I think this would help a lot.
    Either that or forbid right turns at the bottom of the hill and let left lane go left and the right lane go straight on. I don't think that would go down well with many though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Was coming from bohermore roundabout towards huntsman and heading on towards the docks today at around 3:50. No problem me getting through but I could not believe the traffic backed up college road and lough atalia, and this on a quiet Saturday. An absolute mess. Any ideas what muppets (engineers etc) are responsible for this? Thank God I don't use this intersection anymore, I have sympathy for those who do.

Perhaps I am being a bit messy ranting about it as it doesn't really affect my own life, but man did/do I feel sorry for those people stuck in traffic because of stupid pedestrian lights with no pedestrians.

Next time, can we get the Germans or French to do these projects? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Was coming from bohermore roundabout towards huntsman and heading on towards the docks today at around 3:50. No problem me getting through but I could not believe the traffic backed up college road and lough atalia, and this on a quiet Saturday. An absolute mess. Any ideas what muppets (engineers etc) are responsible for this? Thank God I don't use this intersection anymore, I have sympathy for those who do.

Perhaps I am being a bit messy ranting about it as it doesn't really affect my own life, but man did/do I feel sorry for those people stuck in traffic because of stupid pedestrian lights with no pedestrians.

Next time, can we get the Germans or French to do these projects? :rolleyes:

There is defo still major issues with the traffic comming from cemetery cross. That roundabout is getting backed up at all times during the day.
    I dont understand why they havent got the sequencing right as of yet and why there are so many pedestrian lights on the junction (there were NONE) while it was a roundabout as far as I am aware.
    The amount of money that was spent on that junction was a JOKE and for what return? They'll have to improve it or do something with cemetery cross now as well, as the backed up traffic on that roundabout is effecting ALL traffic passing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kippy wrote: »
    I dont understand ... why there are so many pedestrian lights on the junction (there were NONE) while it was a roundabout as far as I am aware.

Yes, there were NONE, and that was A Bad Thing.

Do you think they should only have put ped-lights on certain bits of it? (And bad luck to any hapless people who happen to want to cross in other bits.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They could have not bothered with ped lights on the east segment ( renmore side) . They may yet do so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

We all know how utterly useless the council is but I think this could be their biggest mistake yet. And that's saying something when you consider the shop street repaving disaster - they put down new paving in shop street at the height of the summer season, there were problems with it and they had to do the whole thing again the following summer - and the redesign of Eyre Sq that took about at least 1 year longer than necessary.

This junction is a complete disaster. There is traffic backed up every minute of the day from all directions now. Every time I have to drive through that junction, from any road, I am looking a minimum of an extra 3 minutes journey time, when the roads aren't busy, rising to 15 minutes or more during rush hour. Add that wasted time up over the course of a year and it is a disgrace. The council made a mistake, a BIG mistake, getting rid of the roundabout and replacing it with the current junction. They thought it would alleviate traffic problems, but it hasn't, it has made them a fair bit worse. I hope they can be man enough to admit and put the roundabout back. I think it could be a good idea to start emailing local politicians and the council itself about this as something needs to be done about this complete and utter fooking disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think theres a problem going east from cemetary cross to moneenageisha junction. there are two lanes down the hill, but the right is for right turns only. As far as I can see, few cars make a right turn there, so most cars have to use the left lane which gets backed all the way back up to cemetary cross.
    If they could fit in a left filter at moneenageish I think this would help a lot.
    Either that or forbid right turns at the bottom of the hill and let left lane go left and the right lane go straight on. I don't think that would go down well with many though.
    ISTR coming through there going the otherway and spotting a set of cones designed to merge the traffic coming off the cemetery RAB on the right side lane into the left lane and hoping that traffic will not return to the right lane unless they are turning right. That can't be a pretty sight at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good news, came through that roundabout last night at 2:36 en-route to Dublin and can confirm there must be ghostly pedestrians as surely the pedestrian crossings wouldn't work UNLESS there really were pedestrians.

Bier rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

JustMary wrote: »
    Yes, there were NONE, and that was A Bad Thing.

Do you think they should only have put ped-lights on certain bits of it? (And bad luck to any hapless people who happen to want to cross in other bits.)
    Would you like to see pedestrian lights on EVERY four way junction in town? There are FAR more pedestrian used crossings in busier road conditions that could be better served with these ped lights. The majority of the time people press the button for the lights to change, find out theres no traffic, look left and right, then cross, lights go red a few minutes later and fubar the whole junction.
    I am a pedestrian almost as much as I drive. Four sets of ped lights on that junction is unneeded. (I believe there are four)
    The red lights for traffic on all four entrances to the junction mean that peds CAN cross without their own sets of lights.

Advertisement