Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot proof diet by Neris and India

• 04-05-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Heard some good stuff about this and bought the book yesterday. Have been on WW for 6 months now and have lost 10lbs but have hit a wall with it. Have been a little stressed lately and cant seem to get a handle on comfort eating, so thought this book might help.

Anyone follow it or have any opinions on it? Am only starting the book so havent got to the diet part yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Who are Neris and India?

As it happens, I saw a cookbook/regular book by them today and had just the same question in my head then too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

*Honey* wrote: »
    Who are Neris and India?

As it happens, I saw a cookbook/regular book by them today and had just the same question in my head then too!

Neris Thomas and India Knight. India is a journalist, had heard of her before. They seemed to have combined a lot of the popular high protein/ low carb diets to make it idiot proof (hence the name) Im liking that the first couple of chapters deals with how they got to be overweight and with emotional/comfort eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ibbie

Heard great thing about this so just bought the book yesterday although there aren't many recipes / food plans in it. Is the cookbook different?

ibbie wrote: »
    Heard great thing about this so just bought the book yesterday although there aren't many recipes / food plans in it. Is the cookbook different?

Hi ibbie

I bought the cookbook yesterday and its full of great ideas..thing is I checked out their website and most of them are posted in the forum. Site is www.pig2twig.co.uk

In the book you bought there is a list of foods you can or cant have..and a few recipe ideas. Started the diet today and so far so good, just not looking forward to when the caffeine withdrawl kicks in and cant drink at the weekend!!!

Im 1.5 weeks into the diet and so far so good (despite horrible feelings from caffeine/sugar withdrawl on day 3 and 4). Actually feel brilliant now! And have dropped about 5 lbs. Am considering keeping this up after the phase 1 period as Ive had virtually zero of my ibs symptoms (grains play havoc on my body)

Just a question, Im low carbinging it, and so upping my protein. Im eating all meats, eggs and cheese everyday which im really enjoying but i have slightly high cholestrol (6). Is this diet going to increase this, despite having good benefits regarding decreasing my body fat?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

There has been some linkage to high cholestrol with high protein high fat diets but i'd take it with a grain of salt. I low carbed in stages where first cut out the obvious culprits like all bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and so on and then started monitering my intake with fruit replacing with veg, watching the nut portions etc.

My training hasn't been affected or times. Feel great. Lost some weight but more so my waist wittled down.

Like everything today too much of a good thing is bad. Don't go overboard with it and if you are concerned with the effects no harm going to your GP every few weeks and keeping your numbers monitered to see how its going.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

This diet actually isn't high-protein, like most low-carb diets it's high-fat to avoid a build up of nitrogen in the blood stream that comes from using protein for energy (rabbit starvation).

The ratios of C|P|F are about 10:20:70 by kcal, so moderate-protein by any standards.

neddas wrote: »
    This diet actually isn't high-protein, like most low-carb diets it's high-fat to avoid a build up of nitrogen in the blood stream that comes from using protein for energy (rabbit starvation).

The ratios of C|P|F are about 10:20:70 by kcal, so moderate-protein by any standards.

Is this a good or a bad thing? Am actually enjoying eating this way, but still cant leave the guilt behind of eating cheese whenever I want (years of WW conditioning..)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

In my opinion, it's a good thing. This diet promotes healthy real unprocessed food that's organic wherever possible which I think has to be a good thing..

neddas wrote: »
    In my opinion, it's a good thing. This diet promotes healthy real unprocessed food that's organic wherever possible which I think has to be a good thing..

Well thats true, apart from a few sauces here and there, I havent been eating much processed food. Have to say, I feel wonderful. Especially with the absence of caffeine and sugar from my diet. First few days were horrific, but once I crashed through that Ive never felt so clear-headed and alert!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I was wondering how you were getting on Mrs Berries and have you had decent weight loss? I've read the book today and think i'm going to give it a go. I'm not a big meat eater though, I tried Atkins a few years ago and couldn't cope at all with it! This seems more balanced and at least fruit and wine comes back in after Phase 1 :D

Hennybug wrote: »
    I was wondering how you were getting on Mrs Berries and have you had decent weight loss? I've read the book today and think i'm going to give it a go. I'm not a big meat eater though, I tried Atkins a few years ago and couldn't cope at all with it! This seems more balanced and at least fruit and wine comes back in after Phase 1 :D

Hi there!

Still on it and happy out.Havent takent this weeks measurements but to date (im now on week 4) Ive lost 5lbs and 5 inches. Its not huge by any means but Im now under 10stone so am happy to have a slow weight loss now. I feel great and have lost my double chin and Winnie the Pooh tummy!!

Have you read through the kind of foods you can eat? Do you think you will be able to do it without the meat? I am eating a lot of meat - but its a lot by my standards and to be honest really only at dinner time. For me, breakfast is a protein shake, lunch - huge salad with boiled egg and bit of cheese, dinner piece of meat and some greens. Snacks are nuts and cheese.....do you think this is something you can handle? As a member of weight watcher for years, im really enjoying having the bit of cheese and nuts everyday.

The induction phase is tough, but for me this just lasted the first 4 days. After that I seemed to bounce around the place having detoxed from caffeine and sugar....

You should also have a look at the accompanying cook book or head over to the forum from the book. Very helpful and great ideas for meals!

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Well done mrsberries, better to get it off slowly at least there's a better chance of it staying off!!

I've read both books now and it looks doable. The shake for breakfast is a good idea as i couldn't face bacon and eggs first thing :p I reckon i could do chicken or fish for dinner or even some of the meat recipes in the cook book that sound yum

The cheese would be my idea of heaven!

Hennybug wrote: »
    The cheese would be my idea of heaven!

Oh yes, its great! I go to Aldi once a week and pick up all the cheeses I fancy!! Now i dont eat alot of them everyday as im sure it cant be that good...but its helping with the not feeling deprived notions of the diet :D

Advertisement