Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE U.K and little Ireland DECIDE TO FIGHT THE E.U....

Options
  • 04-05-2009 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

As announced on another forum last week the Irish Independent confirms that Ireland is to rejoin the U.K. with a 'one (U.K.) border for all' strategy to take on the espace Schengen favoured by ALL other countries of the Union designed to promote and to put into effect the major tent of the Union: freedom of movement.

Ireland has for many years said 'Yes to Schengen but' . Now it will officially say NO NO No to Bruxelles as it permits and acquiesces to the U.K.s decision to take over all external borders in the south of this island.
    It will no doubt really please Mr Ganley and his Libertas and for some strange reason many Irish people living here........

It will make life even more difficult for those of us who travel to Schengen regularly and fraught with anxiety as the SIS2 database comes into operation where many Irish are registered as persona non grata in Schengen.....
    Ireland under its U.K. master will also dump out as many Europeans.....

For the past 35 years we've had associate membership of the Union whereas 22 countries are full members including nine who were not happy to be deemed only associate members in Dublin in May 2004 and are now full members by joining Schengen.
    Freedom of movement is theirs....

In a matter oif time we'll have to quit the Union...

Ahern to crack down on 'overstayers' with new control system - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ahern-to-crack-down-on-overstayers-with-new-control-system-1727871.html)

Would those who are for Schengen please pm ......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Can someone provide a source for this story ?
    I've had a little trawl on the net and can't find anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

what the hell?

translation please?

I understand the original article, excessive border control that is in part forced onto us because the british are embracing it and we have to match their technology being neighbours and all, but dear old dermot is taking it a step further and is setting up our own irish border monitor system (staffed by civil servants rather then private like the UK) its a questionable decision with pro's and con's and alot of questions and further reading required.

But I fail to see the notion of it being the first step to us leaving the EU, could someone explain that connection for me please?

EDIT: Ahh I see it now, its an attack on the freedom of movement entitled to all members of the EU, I believe England and Ireland have always been sort of on the outside of that freedom, compared to the continent its always been a bit more restrictive to move from ireland or england, I am curious to how much this new system pressess on the freedom of movement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

As far as The EU is concerned Ireland should align itself with The UK to avoid being drawn further into slavery and despondency.

Wouldn't it be great if every country could run it's own affairs within a free trade arrangement?

Good neighbours yes, slavery no.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ireland can not join Shengen unless we have a fully policed border with non Schengen countries. If UK don't join then we'd need to reinstate a proper border with the North.

Also a requirement is to have a National Identity Card, which we don't of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Ireland is to rejoin the U.K.

How can anyone think this is happening and yet no-one is making a big deal about it. It just makes my head hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

r14 wrote: »
    How can anyone think this is happening and yet no-one is making a big deal about it. It just makes my head hurt.

Because its not true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

futurehope wrote: »
    As far as The EU is concerned Ireland should align itself with The UK to avoid being drawn further into slavery and despondency.

Wouldn't it be great if every country could run it's own affairs within a free trade arrangement?

Good neighbours yes, slavery no.

the empire is dead futurehope, let it go. it belongs in the middle ages with merlin and dragons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    EDIT: Ahh I see it now, its an attack on the freedom of movement entitled to all members of the EU, I believe England and Ireland have always been sort of on the outside of that freedom, compared to the continent its always been a bit more restrictive to move from ireland or england, I am curious to how much this new system pressess on the freedom of movement?

It cannot have any effect on Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States.

This Directive has always applied to Ireland and to the UK, as much as it applies to any other Member State. The two countries have never been "outside of that freedom".

Ireland and the UK tightening up their borders is, of course, a good thing. But the rights of Union citizens will not be affected by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol so basically this is barely news at all from what I can see. So we are going to police our borders except for EU citizens and British citizens and we are going to work with British authorities on this.

Kind of like we were supposed to be doing all along I would have thought.

• Advertisement

This Directive has always applied to Ireland and to the UK, as much as it applies to any other Member State. The two countries have never been "outside of that freedom".

Thanks for confirming what I thought, just to note though, when I said we were *sort of on the outside of that freedom* I didnt mean we didnt have those freedoms, just that pratically us being an island and our main form of transport being by air, we still had plenty of restrictions to abide by in comparison to the continent when it came to travel.

I understand. You were meaning logistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭yawtin

I am Chinese and I know the pain I have to go through to get any of my family and friends to visit me from China. They simply wouldn't be bothered since Ireland is not in the Schengen!!! They don't want to visit Ireland unless they are bored of Europe and the UK, no matter how beautiful Ireland is.

Not to mention the Chinese business people who have thought about openning a company in Ireland. Once they realised that they could not go anywhere in EU from Ireland, not even the UK---the only reason keeping Ireland from entering Schengen agreement---they just dropped their interest in this country.

If Ireland is in the Schengen agreement and the UK is not, then everyone who's interested in the European market and need Schengen visa would be interesed in opening business in Ireland.

Ireland needs to think had about what they are giving up to for the UK!!

An interesting post, yawtin. Not very well thought out though, if I may say so.

What would you propose for Northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

yawtin wrote: »
    I am Chinese and I know the pain I have to go through to get any of my family and friends to visit me from China. They simply wouldn't be bothered since Ireland is not in the Schengen!!! They don't want to visit Ireland unless they are bored of Europe and the UK, no matter how beautiful Ireland is.

Not to mention the Chinese business people who have thought about openning a company in Ireland. Once they realised that they could not go anywhere in EU from Ireland, not even the UK---the only reason keeping Ireland from entering Schengen agreement---they just dropped their interest in this country.

If Ireland is in the Schengen agreement and the UK is not, then everyone who's interested in the European market and need Schengen visa would be interesed in opening business in Ireland.

Ireland needs to think had about what they are giving up to for the UK!!

so you open a company to travel not to earn profit?

not to mention you will love the corpo tax rate in uk and rest of eu :D

Advertisement