Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell advert

Options
  • 04-05-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

UK channels ad : £349
    Irish ad : €499

Almost 50% extra! :mad:

Need I say more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I have not seen the ad, but assuming the spec, warranty and delivery is the same I calculate the difference as 22%. Thats according to the exchange rate today and the difference in VAT rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

How much is it on china?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Exact same ad just with different web address and price, as far as I could see.

Yes, there's a 7.5% difference in the VAT rate, and the 1:1 exchange rate has lessened, but it's still almost 50% dearer. Lots of people buy stuff from abroad via websites.

However, let's be fair by taking JDextra's point :

€499 = €410 net (21.5% VAT)
    £349 = £303 net (15% VAT) = €344 net

Approx 20% difference net......for absolutely no reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Approx 20% difference net......for absolutely no reason!
    Are you honestly surprised that items cost more/less in different countries?

It is like people presume all shops worldwide cost the exact same to run, and that they all get their products delivered to their shelves at the exact same wholesale/supplier prices. There are loads of reasons for price differentials, and they have to justify nothing, they would be total idiots not to maximise their profits and charge what consumers are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm surprised that Dell don't move to Poland so that they can reduce their manufacturing costs and sell them cheaper here.

Oh wait.....................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

rubadub wrote: »
    Are you honestly surprised that items cost more/less in different countries?

It is like people presume all shops worldwide cost the exact same to run, and that they all get their products delivered to their shelves at the exact same wholesale/supplier prices. There are loads of reasons for price differentials, and they have to justify nothing, they would be total idiots not to maximise their profits and charge what consumers are willing to pay.

Hang on a sec....remember that we're talking DELL here - the ones who go on and on about how they're [supposedly] cheaper because there's no shelves or wholesale/suppliers ?

So while there may be some truth in what you say (even if it does involve a hint of rip-off profiteering by charging the maximum), there is NO reason WHATSOEVER to charge 20% more in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Except perhaps the fact, Labour does cost more here. Now don't go starting the move to poland spiel we had enough of that thanks. The limerick plant is still going and the wages are IRISH wages (Aka astronimcally high) and its running on Irish electricity and resources mostly which are more expensive than the UK's. couple that with Carrier/ Warehousing expenses and I think you see why Dell UK are cheaper than Ireland. Surely if they could afford to lower their prices while keeping the same margin as the UK they would so as to increase sales, it makes little sense not to.

In an unrelated topic, Dell rock in my book, I purchased a brand new Dell Vostro 200 with pretty good specs for €150 and that was a general public price too so they arent always "that" bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Except perhaps the fact, Labour does cost more here. Now don't go starting the move to poland spiel we had enough of that thanks. The limerick plant is still going and the wages are IRISH wages (Aka astronimcally high) and its running on Irish electricity and resources mostly which are more expensive than the UK's. couple that with Carrier/ Warehousing expenses and I think you see why Dell UK are cheaper than Ireland. Surely if they could afford to lower their prices while keeping the same margin as the UK they would so as to increase sales, it makes little sense not to

Mainland UK and the island of Ireland are supplied units from the same factory so labour costs and costs of manufacturing are irrelevant, it costs the same to produce a laptop for the UK as it does to produce a laptop for Ireland. And I don't think it costs 20% more to have a unit shipped south of the border!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So while there may be some truth in what you say (even if it does involve a hint of rip-off profiteering by charging the maximum)
    I would not call it profiteering, maybe you have a different definition of what profiteering is. I see plenty of laptops on sale, there is no shortage in supply which I would expect in true profiteering. They are simply maximising profits as any shop does.
    there is NO reason WHATSOEVER to charge 20% more in this scenario.
    If the market is willing to pay that price there is no reason whatsoever to charge less... It would be a foolish business that did.

Hang on a sec....remember that we're talking DELL here - the ones who go on and on about how they're [supposedly] cheaper because there's no shelves or wholesale/suppliers?
    Yep, and I do find them to be quite cheap. Did you find a similar laptop cheaper anywhere else? I do not like buying from Dell as much as the next guy, but they are so cheap I usually do end up with them.
    Kensington wrote: »
    Mainland UK and the island of Ireland are supplied units from the same factory so labour costs and costs of manufacturing are irrelevant, it costs the same to produce a laptop for the UK as it does to produce a laptop for Ireland.
    The price is the same leaving the factory, then differences occur all along. The cost to ship to here is probably more than the UK, then they would have a better economy of scale on shipping to the UK too, i.e. big trucks full of stuff. Then there is storage etc, warehouse personel. You are also forgetting warranty, differing wages for repairs in different countries, wages for sales people, overheads etc. None of any need to be justified at all, but saying they cost the exact same is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Basically in essence, Any company can charge whatever price they want to charge, you dont like it? Tough dont buy it, get it from somewhere else and stop moaning about it, dell arent going to care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and just to add, the OP used the xe.com exchange rate for comparison, which is moot, allow another 3% to get the real exchange rate, and then a few percent more for flexibility because Dell don't want to be sc**wed if there is a sudden strenghtening of the £

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Except perhaps the fact, Labour does cost more here. Now don't go starting the move to poland spiel we had enough of that thanks. The limerick plant is still going and the wages are IRISH wages (Aka astronimcally high) and its running on Irish electricity and resources mostly which are more expensive than the UK's. couple that with Carrier/ Warehousing expenses and I think you see why Dell UK are cheaper than Ireland. Surely if they could afford to lower their prices while keeping the same margin as the UK they would so as to increase sales, it makes little sense not to.

In an unrelated topic, Dell rock in my book, I purchased a brand new Dell Vostro 200 with pretty good specs for €150 and that was a general public price too so they arent always "that" bad

What are you on about ?
    Dell manufacture in Ireland for both UK and Ireland.
    They do not manufacture in the UK for UK market :rolleyes:
    The prices have been cheaper in UK for quiet sometime.

rubadub wrote: »
    The price is the same leaving the factory, then differences occur all along. The cost to ship to here is probably more than the UK, then they would have a better economy of scale on shipping to the UK too, i.e. big trucks full of stuff. Then there is storage etc, warehouse personel. You are also forgetting warranty, differing wages for repairs in different countries, wages for sales people, overheads etc. None of any need to be justified at all, but saying they cost the exact same is crazy.

Ah FFS another ...
    The UK sales staff were actually based in Dublin, their technical support was based in Dublin but a lot of the lower end has been moved to India.
    Ok the ones that are subcontracted to visit the customer are local.
    Warranty ????
    Dell don't really store stuff or pay someone else to store stuff, it is not what they are about.
    It is usually built to order and then shipped. If order falls thorugh then they are sold off to retailers or offered to some staff.
    BTW it should be cheaper to Interlink stuff to Dublin than to ship to Aberdeen, don't you think.

Yes you are clutching at straws, incorrectly I might add, to come up with excuses for a price differential.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement