Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littering in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liveline on RTE was nearly all about littering today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

mike65 wrote: »
    Liveline on RTE was nearly all about littering today.

Polluting our airwaves . . . hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Morlar wrote: »
    Another factor is rubbish collection which is not frequent enough...
    :confused: How much waste are you producing that a weekly collection is not enough?

djpbarry wrote: »
    confused: How much waste are you producing that a weekly collection is not enough?

I was not referring to my rubbish collection. I was referring to the collection of rubbish from public areas. Overflowing public litter bins which contribute to the amount of litter on the ground.

"Another factor is rubbish collection which is not frequent enough and the lack of litterbins at places where large numbers of people are bound to congregate."

Actually on reading that back it probably could have been clearer.

Morlar wrote: »
    I was not referring to my rubbish collection. I was referring to the collection of rubbish from public areas.
    Ah, sorry. Fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Decided to take a stroll on Portmarnock beach last Sunday at around 8pm. Most of the day trippers were gone or heading home from a day out in the sunshine. You should have seen the state of the place - empty vodka bottles, beer cans, sandwich wrappers, nappies...unbelievable. Mission aborted.
    RTE picked up on this and there was a report from Portmarnock beach today about the disgraceful littering on the beach. I was passing by it yesterday and, seeing the high level of drink and other activities, I knew that the place would be left in a sorry state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm Irish and have traveled extensively around Europe and can safely say were the dirtiest race on the continent. It never fails to amaze/appall me the way people in this country will drive for miles passed recycling centres, bottle banks etc. to the nearest beach/beauty spot to leave their filth for tourist and everyone else to view. I also blame the authorities who are next to useless in enforcing litter laws despite the fact that the scale of the problem would mean that more litter wardens would pay for themselves in terms of the number of fines that could be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'm Irish and have traveled extensively around Europe and can safely say were the dirtiest race on the continent. It never fails to amaze/appall me the way people in this country will drive for miles passed recycling centres, bottle banks etc. to the nearest beach/beauty spot to leave their filth for tourist and everyone else to view. I also blame the authorities who are next to useless in enforcing litter laws despite the fact that the scale of the problem would mean that more litter wardens would pay for themselves in terms of the number of fines that could be issued.

Yeah I think you're way off the mark there. I too am Irish and I too have traveled on both this continent (snigger) and beyond. You'll have dirty people, they be everywhere. I personally would never leave litter mementos when using a public amenity, its bread into me as it is in most of us.

The beaches/streets in Spain, the US and other places Ive been get horrendously filthy but the big big difference is the local authorities swoop into action and clean things up. Im not saying that people should be allowed to litter with impunity but you gotta decide where you want to put the resources...preventative or do a clean up...Irish local authorities dont want to do either.

To say The Irish are a dirty race is very short sighted, to say Humans are a dirty race is a little more appropriate.

Moderator Note:

The next person to imply that people of a particular nationality are inherently dirty will receive an automatic ban.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Littering is a serious problem in Ireland.

Failte Ireland release reports on visitor attitudes to litter and 1 in 5 visitors consider it a "real problem". And tellingly, less than half consider Irish streets to be cleaner than the streets of their home country.

Not good.

• Advertisement

When I drove to work this morning I passed by a traffic warden hiding behind an esb/telecom utility box waiting for the clock to tick over so he could pounce.

I can not remember the last time I saw a litter warden.

It is not just our beaches on sunny days its everywhere from remote places like Wicklow to suburbs all over the place.

Councils should face penalties for litter violations and it should come out of their personal expenses & not just passed straight along.

Motivate them to do something about it and penalise them when they consistently fail. Bar all councillors from standing for re-election if they have consistently failed to meet minimum standards - I guarantee this would trigger an improved reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

I've lived in 4 different countries and it's true to say that people in all of these countries litter. As already stated by other posters, the difference is that there are NO litter wardens, roadsweepers here nor are the laws enforced in any way what so ever.

Advertisement