Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminology: "Blow In"

Options
  • 04-05-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Is the term, "Blow-In" a derogatory term?

I think it is. I also think it is offensive.

Commonly used in Sligo, but its use I guess, is common enough in other parts. (I've seen its use here also on boards.ie).

Opinions appreciated.

Misterman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

It's like 'bastard' or 'fecker' in Ireland ... it can be a term of endearment or an insult in Ireland.
    On paper it can look offensive, but used in everyday conversation I don't think being called a 'blow-in' is an insult ... unless of course it was intended to push buttons with you that they know would insult you.

You could live in Sligo (or anywhere else) 40 years, but if you're born elsewhere you're a blow-in...No big deal IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

ive never heard that term used before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I've noticed signs this week on the Bundoran Road around Grange I think, advertising a football match between Blow-ins over 35 v Locals over 35. I am not 'a local' myself but I've been living in the North Sligo area for years and have heard that term directed at me many times in the past but didn't mind.

What ever makes the yokels happy eh?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

You won't find it much in large towns or areas with a large population of recently arrived residents (Strandhill, Rosses Point etc.). It's a term used in areas where the local population pretty much all have a long history in the area. It's not meant as offensive, but it can be. I've lived in my area for 25 years (since I was a child). I've heard it being directed at me a few times and tbh it is offensive, especially from people who've lived here for maybe 10 years or less and have "put themselves about"(drinking in the local, getting involved in organising events, just being loud). It's also offensive from twerps of 20 years old who I remember being born, but being aware that my parents came from elsewhere (Leitrim) feel they can refer to me as a "blow in". Like most things, the offensiveness comes from who is actually saying it and to a lesser extent, the context it's said in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Misterman

Thanks for your opinions on this.

In the balance of things, I would consider that the term "Blow-In" to be used much more as a term of abuse rather than that of endearment.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I'm a blow in and even a non national, don't think it's offensive at all, I think something only is if you take it that way. Don't care what they call me, even when they call me a tulip!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I've lived in a village in the county all my life but would be considered a blow-in still by the locals , a lot to do with the fact my parents weren't farmers either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I don't think the term "blow-in" is offensive at all. Alot of the time it is used in a light hearted sense and no offense is tended.
    I could be a blow-in as I've only lived in Sligo for 15 years now but thats the majority of my life as I only spent the first 5 years in Dublin.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I don't think the term "blow-in" is offensive at all. Alot of the time it is used in a light hearted sense and no offense is tended.
    I could be a blow-in as I've only lived in Sligo for 15 years now but thats the majority of my life as I only spent the first 5 years in Dublin.

Yuk, a blow-in from Dublin ! :p

Interesting...so if I were to refer to you as a "fecin jack/jackeen blow-in". Would you be ok with that?

bobcar61 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That's obviously a different useage, misterman.

I agree with the others - it can be derogatory or it can be endearment, it all depends on how it's used.

Misterman wrote: »
    Interesting...so if I were to refer to you as a "fecin jack/jackeen blow-in". Would you be ok with that?

Misterman ... as i said... it's about the context.

If you adamant it's offensive, then you can make innocent enough words offend you (Culchie :) , Jackeen, Can of piss etc...)

Alot of this is down to (a) The recipient determined to take offence or (b) The source being determined to cause offence

If neither (a) or (b) are present the same words can be used and they are completely harmless in my opinion.

Xiney, I was interested in exploring BobCars opinion about its useage.

Bobcars opinion was that it "isnt offensive at all". OK the context was deliberately extended, using terminology fecin/jack/jackeen which can also be questioned.

My opinion was that it (Blow-In) "can" and is often used a derogatory term. Bobcars opinion is that it is not. Fair enough.

Xiney wrote: »
    That's obviously a different useage, misterman.

I agree with the others - it can be derogatory or it can be endearment, it all depends on how it's used.

Culchie, I am not "adamant" that it is offensive. Otherwise why would I seek opinion?

I genuinely came here seeking opinion as to wether it is or not, to educate my understanding of its use. For example, I thought it may have some nautical reference...mariners being blow into port during a storm... I'm not trying to be mischevious here...

Contributions welcome...

Respectfully yours...
    Mr Man

Culchie wrote: »
    Misterman ... as i said... it's about the context.

If you adamant it's offensive, then you can make innocent enough words offend you (Culchie :) , Jackeen, Can of piss etc...)

Alot of this is down to (a) The recipient determined to take offence or (b) The source being determined to cause offence

If neither (a) or (b) are present the same words can be used and they are completely harmless in my opinion.

Culchie, I am not "adamant" that it is offensive. Otherwise why would I seek opinion?

I genuinely came here seeking opinion as to wether it is or not, to educate my understanding of its use. For example, I thought it may have some nautical reference...mariners being blow into port during a storm... I'm not trying to be mischevious here...

Contributions welcome...

Respectfully yours...
    Mr Man

I also didn't mean you in a personal context rather the general one. Peace man;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Some of you lads are hyper sensitive about being called a blow-in.

I've lived in Dublin for the last 30 years and I've lost count to the number of times I've been called a blow-in. Usually along the lines of "What does he know about XXXXXXX; he's only a blow-in"

It's only when you know more about XXXXXXXX do you shut them up! :p

Tbh, it never bothered me - just a bit of banter, imo.

P.S. Blew in from Mayo.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Hi MisterMan,
    You are a blow in. To boards! Join date May 2009 5 posts.

I actually call myself a blow in when talking to locals. It can be offensive but you would need to add a few more words and an aggressive tone.
    regards
    Karl

Sligo forum blow in.

Karl good man! Ha ha! Good one! Like it!

(Are the "moderators" normally as "participative" in all boards.ie threads?)

Not sure if "moderator" is the best description.

Flankerb wrote: »
    Hi MisterMan,
    You are a blow in. To boards! Join date May 2009 5 posts.

I actually call myself a blow in when talking to locals. It can be offensive but you would need to add a few more words and an aggressive tone.
    regards
    Karl

Sligo forum blow in.

Misterman, bobcar61 and I are the moderators of the Sligo forum. We do tend to participate quite a lot.

Additionally, there are moderators of other forums (such as Culchie, who moderates the Marketing forum) who are regular contributors to the Sligo forum.

However, moderators are, for all intents and purposes, regular users on forums they do not moderate. Also, bobcar61 and I tend to act like regular users unless we need to do some moderating.

Thanks for that Xiney.

Is it not a tricky job for you and other moderators to keep your roles separate? When roles are intertwined, their effectiveness and legitimacy are in doubt.

Opinions of a contributor are open to debate, naturally. However the roles of moderators, as I understand your role to be, is not one which should be guided by personal opinion. Examples of which we have here.

I didnt expect to get such formulated opinions from moderators, and ones which were delivered with such gusto.

It is confusing to the average "Joe Public" who "blows-in".

Not very welcoming either....a bit Orwellian...in my opinion. You might end up with only moderators, moderating your own posts.

Xiney wrote: »
    Misterman, bobcar61 and I are the moderators of the Sligo forum. We do tend to participate quite a lot.

Additionally, there are moderators of other forums (such as Culchie, who moderates the Marketing forum) who are regular contributors to the Sligo forum.

However, moderators are, for all intents and purposes, regular users on forums they do not moderate. Also, bobcar61 and I tend to act like regular users unless we need to do some moderating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Thanks for that Xiney.

Is it not a tricky job for you and other moderators to keep your roles separate? When roles are intertwined, their effectiveness and legitimacy are in doubt.

Opinions of a contributor are open to debate, naturally. However the roles of moderators, as I understand your role to be, is not one which should be guided by personal opinion. Examples of which we have here.

I didnt expect to get such formulated opinions from moderators, and ones which were delivered with such gusto.

It is confusing to the average "Joe Public" who "blows-in".

Not very welcoming either....a bit Orewellian...in my opinion. You might end up with only moderators, moderating your own posts.

It works perfectly and nobody is cofused until you. Moderators have opinions and can express them as freely as we can. Xiney and Bobcar are perfectly able to seperate their personal opinion when moderating.

As you will find out the sligo boards are a place where we can have discussions without holding a grunt against eachother. We might not always agree but still respect eachother.

Welcome by the way.

there are a lot of regular posters so I don't think there is any danger of ending up with only mods.

I think most web message boards have their own unique culture which takes some getting used to at first. boards.ie is no different and I think it just takes a bit of time to understand how it works.

I assure you that it does work, however - it's arguably the most widely used website in Ireland.

And yes, welcome to the forum :)

Hmmm, this looks like a sycophantic defence to me.

It seems a bit odd when people cut across conversations to the defence of others. I'm sure they are perfectly capable to speak up for themselves.

"Nobody confused until you" Not much of a welcome, in my opinion.

It works perfectly and nobody is cofused until you. Moderators have opinions and can express them as freely as we can. Xiney and Bobcar are perfectly able to seperate their personal opinion when moderating.

As you will find out the sligo boards are a place where we can have discussions without holding a grunt against eachother. We might not always agree but still respect eachother.

Welcome by the way.

there are a lot of regular posters so I don't think there is any danger of ending up with only mods.

Well, with all due respect OP, your posts here have rubbed people the wrong way for whatever reason.

I'm going to lock this thread since it has served it's original purpose of getting you some opinions on the term "blow in" (despite you not liking all the opinions you received) and a thread about how welcome you feel (or not) is better suited on the feedback forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement