Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnotherapist needs advice

Options
  • 04-05-2009 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    I'm trying to set up some sound equipment for my hypnotherapy practice. I've bought a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX mixer and I was trying to get some headphones that I had bought in Soundstore (Cork) to work with them. Because I have DJ'd previously, I am relatively familiar with sound equipment but now I'm tearing my hair out. Basically what I am trying to do is to have two way communication between two headsets (headphones and microphone set) - so both me and my client can hear each other over the headphones as we speak into our microphones.
    Each of the headphone/microphone sets have two 3.5mm stereo jacks, one for the mic and one for the headphones. Because the mic input channels on the Behringer mixer are mono channels, I tried using a 3.5mm stereo to 1/4" mono adapter and plugging it into the 1/4" line input. When I monitor my voice over the headphones, it's really low, even though I have the headphone volume on the mixer whacked up to the last and the mic volume also. Has anyone got any idea why this is?
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the headsets are not up to the job. If anone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful. Or if you have a better suggestion as to how I can achieve the two-way communication I am looking for, I'd be delighted to hear it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Where are you based? Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

The mics won't be able to drive a Line Input!

Get XLRs put on them or adaptors.

What Headphone/Mics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FormerdJ

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The mics won't be able to drive a Line Input!

Get XLRs put on them or adaptors.

What Headphone/Mics?

Thanks Paul. The headphones/mics are the Typhoon brand (bought in Soundtore in Cork for €15). They are primarily used for plugging into the soundcard of a computer.
    An interesting point about xlr connections - I tried a standard stage microphone used for DJing with an xlr connection and couldn't hear it through the headphones, yet when I switched the lead to a 1/4"jack and used the line input instead, I could then hear it over the headphones. I've aso tried a jack to xlr adaptor and it didn't work.
    Another guy I was talking to told me that it's the act that the microphone in the headset is a magnetic mic and it should be swapped for an electret. Any opinions about whether this wuld work or not?

FormerdJ wrote: »
    Thanks Paul. The headphones/mics are the Typhoon brand (bought in Soundtore in Cork for €15). They are primarily used for plugging into the soundcard of a computer.
    An interesting point about xlr connections - I tried a standard stage microphone used for DJing with an xlr connection and couldn't hear it through the headphones, yet when I switched the lead to a 1/4"jack and used the line input instead, I could then hear it over the headphones. I've aso tried a jack to xlr adaptor and it didn't work.
    Another guy I was talking to told me that it's the act that the microphone in the headset is a magnetic mic and it should be swapped for an electret. Any opinions about whether this wuld work or not?

Too many variables there I'm afraid. Best plan is nick into the Soundstore with the whole rig.

The headphone socket should be driven by the main mix to which all elements are routed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Soundstore in Cork is a hi-fi shop, it's unlikely that anyone in there knows how to operate a mixer.

Seems to me that you may not be routing the mic signal correctly through the desk, setting gain etc. As I recall, the instructions with Behringer desks include a good basic step by step guide to routing from mic to headphones.

If that's not working for you, then there may be a problem with the desk. As Paul said, too many variables. The stage mic may not have worked via XLR because the XLR cable was faulty!

Paul's right, you need XLRs for the headset mics. If they're "magnetic" (i.e. dynamic) microphones, this will work as long as they're wired correctly. Be aware that brand is not going to sound very good! The Technician in Tom Baylor's music shop in Fermoy, Dominic, is excellent and would be able to do the XLRs for you.

• Advertisement

madtheory wrote: »
    Soundstore in Cork is a hi-fi shop, it's unlikely that anyone in there knows how to operate a mixer.

Ah ...

Advertisement