Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bristol Comic Con

Options
  • 04-05-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hey,

Im heading over to the comic con over in Bristol, my first comic con, anyone have suggestions what to see? What to do? What to keep an eye out for? Anyone else heading over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

This years Bristol con has been scaled down drastically and is sadly not taking place in the impressive engine shed and the number of exhibitors was cut down by nearly two thirds but the lovely Mal Smith is putting on small press show running along with the main show in the ramada so it should still be a good weekend. The small press show is just on the saturday so make sure not to miss that - there's a few heading over to exhibit at it, myself included. Couple of decent exhibitors and guests at the main show but not a great show compared to earlier years. Hopefully it will be back in the engine shed next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

Well I wont have anything to compare it to, so Im sure I will be impressed anyway. Cheers for the info, ill make sure to have a look for ur exhibition table on the saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Very sorry I won't be there, the first one I've missed in 6 years. Hope you enjoy it!

Al.

http://alnolan.synthasite.com/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sorry to hear you won't be there Al, was good to chat to ye last year. I'm heading up for the day on Saturday, am kind of disappointed not to be able to head up for the weekend and stay for the evening's festivities but there you go...

Fysh wrote: »
    stay for the evening's festivities but there you go...

What happens after the show normally?

• Advertisement

subedei wrote: »
    What happens after the show normally?

CURRY!

ztoical wrote: »
    CURRY!

LOL ah so no english breakfasts or fish & ships after a pub crawl in that end of the country

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

subedei wrote: »
    LOL ah so no english breakfasts or fish & ships after a pub crawl in that end of the country

Well, as far as I can work out the plan is usually:
    • gather a group - and possibly go for a jar or two while waiting for everyone to gather
    • go for curry
    • go to one or more pubs depending on who's gone where
    • possibly pop into the Ramada to see if anything interesting is happening with the main official event (which seems to be an evening dinner but last year also incorporated the Eagle Awards)

No Eagle Awards this year?

alnolan wrote: »
    No Eagle Awards this year?

no they're doing a big shake up, they're only opening the nominations on the 8th of May, not sure what the plan is for when and where the awards will be given out. There's no info on the website yet cept the nomination date.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Well, as far as I can work out the plan is usually:
    • gather a group - and possibly go for a jar or two while waiting for everyone to gather
    • go for curry
    • go to one or more pubs depending on who's gone where
    • possibly pop into the Ramada to see if anything interesting is happening with the main official event (which seems to be an evening dinner but last year also incorporated the Eagle Awards)

This years plan seems to be
    -gather people
    -go for curry
    -back to hotel for Mal's big post small press con party

This years plan seems to be
    -gather people
    -go for curry
    -back to hotel for Mal's big post small press con party

Cheers for the info Fysh and ztoical, I might bump into ye in the show and say hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sammysteiger

enjoy, The city is great itself, make sure you browse oh and there is a huge Forbidden Planet!!

It was all crap cus you weren't there Alan! :p

The small press part was good, never made it to the ramada so no clue how the main show got on. Mal and co. put a good show together, numbers were down on earlier years but that was going to happen no matter what. Despit lowish numbers sales were good, bunch of people paying by cheque which was slightly odd. Curry was great, esp trying to fit 16 people around one table [after we told them there would be like 8 people :p] After party had a mix reaction as turns out most comic people are too cool to dance but we'd claimed the comfy seats by the bar early on so were happy for the night.

After party had a mix reaction as turns out most comic people are too cool self-aware and un-coordinated to dance but we'd claimed the comfy seats by the bar early on so were happy for the night.
    Fixed that ;)

Was gutted I couldn't stay for the after party, the curry was great. I particularly enjoyed the group rendition of "Detachable Penis" complete with gesticulation from ztoical, as well as the general descent to cock-related humour within about 5 minutes of everyone sitting down.

The con itself was good fun, a little bit more low-key than last year but Mal did an awesome job at putting together the small press side in 3 months. We mostly hung around Cliodhna's table talking crap and occasionally harrassing people to try and get them to buy the Superhero Showcase. Oh, and there was an entertaining attempt by one guy to sell Cliodhna on the idea of some not-particularly-brilliantly-animated motion comics - that was entertaining.

I had a peak over at the con section in the Ramada, was alright, bit confusing as it was my first con. There was a fun DC Nation panel on the saturday with Dan Didio, he was a good laugh. On the Sunday I sat in on more, there was another DC universe panel which was good too but all the panel were recovering from a hard night of heavy drinking. There was another about the watchmen with Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins, a panel with 2000AD, and an independant small press panel. All were worth going too.

most comic people are too cool to dance

You should come to 2D in Derry...!

You should come to 2D in Derry...!

I would if it wasn't always the same weekend as MoCCA.

Advertisement