Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Choice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Looks like it's down between the Conquest and the Nightforce now. No experience with the Conquest myself. It's cheaper, supposedly has better glass, but worse reticles and no illumination. Nightforce has those, and I don't see any problem with the glass, personally. I'll see if I can try the two side by side and decide then I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Looks like it's down between the Conquest and the Nightforce now. No experience with the Conquest myself. It's cheaper, supposedly has better glass, but worse reticles and no illumination. Nightforce has those, and I don't see any problem with the glass, personally. I'll see if I can try the two side by side and decide then I guess.
    Didnt really enter into this debate, but ive been using a nightforce and swarovski scope for several years now, ive also bought a pm2 second hand
    or should i say six months old for 1000 euro:eek:-but ill tell you this my swarovski will soon be traded in for another nightforce;)
    as for the pm 2 i sold it to my mate for the same money i paid for it.
    thats my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

I've had a go of a PMII and if I could afford one it would be top of the list by a mile, far and away the best scope I've ever used.

I am looking for an all round scope, so what do you reckon within the parameters I've suggested?
    (IMO) IOR would be my choice for you considering your requirements..if your comparing scopes then i think you need to compare like with like.my PM is very slightly behind my Swarov,5-25x56/6-24x50..IOR might be a little heavy but well built and tick all your boxes,you'll get a super scope for approx 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Since the .25-06 is a very flat shooting round is paralax adjusment essential ? Personally I have the low end of the Zeiss Conquest range on a .22 Hornet and it's a great piece of kit. I've looked through similarly priced Bushnells, Weavers, Leupold etc and none come near in sharpness or low light visibility. I've looked through a Nightforce once and found it to be very similar to the Zeiss.

I must admit, I'm thinking Nighforce if I can get a decent price on it, otherwise Zeiss it may be, unless I find a nice Swarovski with the parallax adjustment and such. Incidentally the parallax adjustment is to have if I should change calibres when re-barrelling the gun. Doesn't hurt to get it now.

Incidentally, for those interested in buying quality scopes at US prices and actually getting them shipped, These people seem to be the same crowd from Euro Optics with the facility to ship internationally, even quote shipping to Ireland in their auctions.

For instance, a Nightforce NXS 3-15x56 NP2-DD comes in at €1110.99 plus $65 shipping, which I think isn't so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

is that plus duty and excise and vat

jwshooter wrote: »
    is that plus duty and excise and vat

Yep, so add a little under 25%, but it still comes in cheaper than here, where they start at 1600-odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

IWM it would seem to me that you had your mind made up as to which scope you were getting before you started this thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

if you contact the crowd shipping to you and ask them to open the box and write "second hand" on the goods you might get away without VAT, it worked for me getting an ipod from america before and i know a few more people who have done it on drills and saws and other hardware equipment they got shipped in, it would be worth a try anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Weaver, Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender,

Also looking at the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. About the same quality of optics as the Nightforce, for less money. Less excellent reticle choice, doesn't seem to be illuminated, but the rest is there. Any opinions on these?

i have that Zeiss on my .243 and find it great, i use it for lamping mr fox the picture an night is unreal, my shooting buddy has a top end s&b and tbh he thinks the Zeiss is more clear than his s&b scope.

• Advertisement

I must admit, I'm thinking Nighforce if I can get a decent price on it, otherwise Zeiss it may be, unless I find a nice Swarovski with the parallax adjustment and such. Incidentally the parallax adjustment is to have if I should change calibres when re-barrelling the gun. Doesn't hurt to get it now.

Incidentally, for those interested in buying quality scopes at US prices and actually getting them shipped, These people seem to be the same crowd from Euro Optics with the facility to ship internationally, even quote shipping to Ireland in their auctions.

For instance, a Nightforce NXS 3-15x56 NP2-DD comes in at €1110.99 plus $65 shipping, which I think isn't so bad.

1460euro for a 3.5-15x50 nxs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

1460euro for a 3.5-15x50 nxs

that not a bit dear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭freddieot

€1,460 or there abouts does not seem like any kind of bargain. Cheaper to buy in the UK as the exchange rate is still very good. In fact fora little bit more you would probably get an NSX 12-42 x 56.

No Customs Duty \ IE VAT - the price you see is what you pay.

freddieot wrote: »
    €1,460 or there abouts does not seem like any kind of bargain. Cheaper to buy in the UK as the exchange rate is still very good. In fact fora little bit more you would probably get an NSX 12-42 x 56.

No Customs Duty \ IE VAT - the price you see is what you pay.

that is in the uk the sports man gun centure "one of the cheapest in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Don't get the 12-42 Nightforce, price aside, its overkill

I have one and there is no need for 42 times mag. Also it has less MOA adjustments than the 32 or 22 times mag scopes and to be honest even on longer range about 22-25 times magnification is all I've ever really needed

I personally don't think the glass on a Nightforce scope is that impressive. The rest of the scope is excellent, so reliable and durable but I have been more impressed by glass on cheaper scopes.

Nightforce are a great scope and I love it for its features, the glass is great but not amazing and I would definitely recommend the brand.

I cant comment on other scopes as I have not owned all of them but from my research if I were to buy another budget target scope it would be the Bushnell Clive has. All the features I'd want and a good price too

i have a nikko stirling on my .22 its a 4.5-14x50 mill dot diamond it cost something think 250 euro .
    its as clear and as bright as my nsx 5-15 x50 .

the nightforce are way over rated and over priced.

PS , i would not put the nikko on a stalking rifle unless i had to .

IWM is dead right put the best glass you can afford ,but i would be buying my binos first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

but i would be buying my binos first

A common mistake, which I made to my detriment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

i have a nikko stirling on my .22 its a 4.5-14x50 mill dot diamond it cost something think 250 euro .
    its as clear and as bright as my nsx 5-15 x50 .

the nightforce are way over rated and over priced.

PS , i would not put the nikko on a stalking rifle unless i had to .

IWM is dead right put the best glass you can afford ,but i would be buying my binos first

JW I went the Nikko route first with a Nighteater 8-32x60 AG IR great bit of kit and the glass was good.
    But after looking though a cheaper Bushnell Banner I could see the difference in quality.
    My son has the Nikko Nighteater 6-24x56 AG IR and finds it does the job he wants it for i.e. night lamping foxes.

IWM I'll be at the fox shooting comp on the 17th where you can have a drool over my Bushnell Elite :rolleyes::rolleyes:

clivej wrote: »
    IWM I'll be at the fox shooting comp on the 17th where you can have a drool over my Bushnell Elite :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cool, will be glad to have a look at it. Won't be shelling out for some time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

clivej wrote: »
    My son has the Nikko Nighteater 6-24x56 AG IR and finds it does the job he wants it for i.e. night lamping foxes.

One of the lads had one of those scopes on his .17hmr and it was awful. Could not focus the thing correctly and at any decent magnification the picture would be blurred with a yellow/blue haze. Only scope I have looked through and thought was bad.

Maybe he got a dud one but he changed it very shortly thereafter. Haven't looked through another one since his.

I had a bushnell banner too, think its still on my .22lr actually, grand little scope but I hate adjustable objectives.

• Advertisement

Right, starting to consider the Zeiss Conquest more seriously now. Shame the Conquest doesn't seem to have illuminated reticles. I think I could live without it though, as long as the glass stands up on its own and the reticle provides good definition. I'm liking the 43 and 20 reticles anyway. Most important features for me are 30mm tube, side adjustable parallax, good magnification range and superb glass. I really mean superb as well, don't want to have any regrets about quality if I'm shelling out.

I'm being talked out of the Nightforce anyway, slowly but surely, and the Zeiss currently looks good. I'd love a nice Swarovski, judging by reports on the glass, but I'm not a big fan of adjusting parallax at the objective bell. My Weaver has that setup and it's a pain. If people recommend stuff, I'll do my best to give it all a try and get more experience. It'll be the summer before this all arrives in any case, so there's time to experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭freddieot

Don't be talked out of the Nightforce just yet and check out the prices on this site : http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/homepage/

I've had a few scopes over the years and the Nightforce 12-42x56 NSX is by far the best. Used it at ranges from 100-600 without any problem with elevation adjustments or anything like that. If you need 1/8 adjustments for serious benchrest or something like that then do consider the 8-32 which is also a fine scope.

To be honest, any time I've shot at the longer ranges it was nice to have the extra magnification. Better to have it and not need it all the time etc. It gives a good clear view at 600 and beyond and at 300 you can see the bull\holes very easily for exact shot placement. Has easily adjustable side parallax \ illuminated reticles \ etc.

As regards durability of Nightforce, I recently had to cut the front ring off my Nightforce with a dremmel as when it was mounted about 6-7 years ago it was put on just that bit too tight. I was worried a little about the scope afterwards because of the vibration and all that but I've found that it is as reliable as ever. I can see now why they have used these on Barrett 50s.

The only other scope I would even consider as being equal is a Schmidt & Bender. I never owned one but several friends had the PMII versions and were very happy with them. However, I don't think there is really much in it optically and you need to dig a bit deeper to get similar from S&B. One friend has both S&M and Nightforce and Nightforce also gets his vote as a better scope.

You don't always get more when you spend extra but I think scopes are an exception (as long as you buy from abroad of course and don't pay the rediculous prices being charged here).

Like buying a car, everyone is going to tell you theirs is good \ better \ best \ better value. Good Luck !

freddieot wrote: »
    Don't be talked out of the Nightforce just yet and check out the prices on this site : http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/homepage/

I've had a few scopes over the years and the Nightforce 12-42x56 NSX is by far the best. Used it at ranges from 100-600 without any problem with elevation adjustments or anything like that. If you need 1/8 adjustments for serious benchrest or something like that then do consider the 8-32 which is also a fine scope.

To be honest, any time I've shot at the longer ranges it was nice to have the extra magnification. Better to have it and not need it all the time etc. It gives a good clear view at 600 and beyond and at 300 you can see the bull\holes very easily for exact shot placement. Has easily adjustable side parallax \ illuminated reticles \ etc.

As regards durability of Nightforce, I recently had to cut the front ring off my Nightforce with a dremmel as when it was mounted about 6-7 years ago it was put on just that bit too tight. I was worried a little about the scope afterwards because of the vibration and all that but I've found that it is as reliable as ever. I can see now why they have used these on Barrett 50s.

The only other scope I would even consider as being equal is a Schmidt & Bender. I never owned one but several friends had the PMII versions and were very happy with them. However, I don't think there is really much in it optically and you need to dig a bit deeper to get similar from S&B. One friend has both S&M and Nightforce and Nightforce also gets his vote as a better scope.

You don't always get more when you spend extra but I think scopes are an exception (as long as you buy from abroad of course and don't pay the rediculous prices being charged here).

Like buying a car, everyone is going to tell you theirs is good \ better \ best \ better value. Good Luck !

Look mate, what goes on behind closed doors between you and your mates, stays behind closed doors!!! There's kids reading this. Won't sombody think of the children????:D:D

Right, starting to consider the Zeiss Conquest more seriously now. Shame the Conquest doesn't seem to have illuminated reticles. I think I could live without it though, as long as the glass stands up on its own and the reticle provides good definition. I'm liking the 43 and 20 reticles anyway. Most important features for me are 30mm tube, side adjustable parallax, good magnification range and superb glass. I really mean superb as well, don't want to have any regrets about quality if I'm shelling out.

I'm being talked out of the Nightforce anyway, slowly but surely, and the Zeiss currently looks good. I'd love a nice Swarovski, judging by reports on the glass, but I'm not a big fan of adjusting parallax at the objective bell. My Weaver has that setup and it's a pain. If people recommend stuff, I'll do my best to give it all a try and get more experience. It'll be the summer before this all arrives in any case, so there's time to experiment.

IWM, the Conquests are 25mm tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Jonty wrote: »
    IWM, the Conquests are 25mm tubes.

Thats what put me off them as I had already spent good money on rings and bases.

I would give a thumbs up on the Bushnell Elite 6500 series I have a 4.5 - 30 x 50 and I cant fault it.

have a look at as much glass as you can and you will find the one, nothing like picking them up and having a fiddle and a good look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

The only real gains from a 30+ tube are more elev/wind adjustment...(also look better of course!)or if you already have mounts
    IWM why not consider an IOR???you'd probably have to get a pic rail and IOR rings but you'd have a better system after all(IMO of course!!)
    Roedale do a Pic rail for Sako and IOR supply very decent looking rings in all IOR tube sizes,i think Boarder Barrels would be closest dealers,but open to correction on that or any/all i say

I already have Sako 30mm Optilocks. Sorry to hear that about the Conquests. I've e-mailed the seller to ask what height the mounts are, look to be high enough though. I'll make a call after that.

Heard some none too flattering things about the IOR scopes, so a bit wary there. I may be back to Nightforce now.

I already have Sako 30mm Optilocks. Sorry to hear that about the Conquests. I've e-mailed the seller to ask what height the mounts are, look to be high enough though. I'll make a call after that.

Heard some none too flattering things about the IOR scopes, so a bit wary there. I may be back to Nightforce now.

are they low medium or high mounts .

freddieot i thought you reckoned they were not much of a bargain in the sportsman.

the nikko diamond 4.5-14x50 has better end of the range ,when you go into massive mag with any scope you may pay big buck.

your in no hurry to get scope IWM so i would hold fire till you get your licence in 6 months.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

freddieot i thought you reckoned they were not much of a bargain in the sportsman.

the nikko diamond 4.5-14x50 has better end of the range ,when you go into massive mag with any scope you may pay big buck.

your in no hurry to get scope IWM so i would hold fire till you get your licence in 6 months.:D

http://www.swfa.com/c-2183-riflescopes.aspx

1 Zeiss 6-24 victory divari 28.4 oz $2000
    2 IOR 6-24 tactical 28oz $1600

3 SightronIII 6-24 22.3oz $789
    4 Burris black diamond 6-24 22oz $769

think the low light transmission & quality for hunting / target of these lads stand out in order.
    2&3 available this side of the atlantic have a look later.

• Advertisement

The guy is getting back to me with the height of the mounts and the objective diameter of the last scope mounted in them.

I'm holding fire, just researching for the moment. An entertaining diversion from study tbh!

Advertisement