Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Choice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

ever thought about one of the VX-7(L) Leupolds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

I Know you looking for the European brands but I would highlt recommend Nikon Scopes.

I have the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 on my .22 CZ Lux and its excellent.

I'm sure their higher mag scopes would be great for the money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

IWM I don't think the glass on the Nightforce is superb. I have looked through better.

My main gripe is contrast, everything looks washed out through it. Not a problem for target shooting but not great for hunting. Its clear and focus's well though

Definitely look through every scope you are considering. Beg people on the range if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Vegeta wrote: »
    IWM I don't think the glass on the Nightforce is superb. I have looked through better.

My main gripe is contrast, everything looks washed out through it. Not a problem for target shooting but not great for hunting. Its clear and focus's well though

Definitely look through every scope you are considering. Beg people on the range if you have to.

Have to say, I've looked through a handful and was always impressed by the standard of the glass. I've looked through better myself, such as the PMII, but for twice the price, it feckin' better be nicer glass! I must get a look through some Swarovski stuff. Their reticles are better than the Zeiss from what I can see, and since the conquest is a 25mm tube, they're out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    http://www.swfa.com/c-2183-riflescopes.aspx

1 Zeiss 6-24 victory divari 28.4 oz $2000
    2 IOR 6-24 tactical 28oz $1600

3 SightronIII 6-24 22.3oz $789
    4 Burris black diamond 6-24 22oz $769

think the low light transmission & quality for hunting / target of these lads stand out in order.
    2&3 available this side of the atlantic have a look later.

sightronIII

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2714507&highlight=sightron

http://longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sightron-vs-nightforce-vs-leupold-33655/

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Got the new Bushnell 6500, and for the money it's a massive scope. Amazing clarity, great low-light capabilities, super range of mag - 4.5 - 30.

Dunno much about your NF and Swarovski glass, but really can't see how it can be so much better than the Elite. Certainly not for the extra grand+ outlay.

In UK it's about 550 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭freddieot

Looking thought lower power scopes will usually give the impression that everything is clearer than through the high magnification variables such as the 12-42 Nightforce.

I don't agree that the Nighforce glass is any less clear than any other scope of similar power. Yes, it might be something like 3% less clear than a PMII 5-25 but it's as clear as you will get at the power it gives. Schmidt & Bender have just launched a 12-50x56 PMII Sport, that's really what you would need to do a fair comparison on magnification and glass quality (and cost).

No problem hunting with these although why anyone would want a high power scope for that I don't know. I assumed you want it primarily for target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Here is my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 with the tactical turrets atop my 223 CZ Varmint.

10052009114.jpg

10052009115.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Malaga2

Great combo... I have a similar setup but have an Elite 3-9-50 on it...typically do not need shots over 200...really like the rifle (had my barrel cut to 20")
    Why the third ring mounted upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Malaga2 wrote: »

I have the 3-9 x 40 and it is a fine scope, Bushnell Elite are a very underrated scope, especially with the firefly reticle.
    The third ring is his spotlight/lamp mount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

Got the new Bushnell 6500, and for the money it's a massive scope. Amazing clarity, great low-light capabilities, super range of mag - 4.5 - 30.

Dunno much about your NF and Swarovski glass, but really can't see how it can be so much better than the Elite. Certainly not for the extra grand+ outlay.

In UK it's about 550 sterling.

i'm thinking about bushnell 6500 too
    can you post some pics?
    what kind of mounts and rings did you put in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Malaga2 wrote: »
    Great combo... I have a similar setup but have an Elite 3-9-50 on it...typically do not need shots over 200...really like the rifle (had my barrel cut to 20")

10052009119.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

sharky0922 wrote: »
    can you post some pics?

No pics at the mo, plenty of others if do a search.

The rings were some I had from an MTC, nothing fancy but do the job for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

sharky0922 wrote: »
    can you post some pics?

Have a look down the bottom of the page 3d demo on the 6500 series.

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

On another note lads I see from the opticsware house site that all ZEISS products are going up by 21 % on the 5th of may ouch...

Apart from the fixed mag, quite tempted by something like this. I don't fiddle much, but it would be nice to have the variable magnification.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Need low mag in failing light,if you intend to shoot deer in failing light(bad practice IMO) i would advise on variable with low base X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I have variable scopes but I usually set mag and leave it alone once I zero rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

jwshooter wrote: »
    i know where you can get a brand new swarovski 4-16x50 pv for 850 euro or a new swaro 4-12x50 av for 760 euro

or a S/H leupold vari XIII 3.5-10x50 for 340 euro

or a S/H schmidt n bender 3-12x50 for 620 euro
    well jw
    that schmidt and bender wouldnt have a 30mm tube by any chance would it
    ian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Yeah it would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

jwshooter wrote: »
    i know where you can get a brand new swarovski 4-16x50 pv for 850 euro or a new swaro 4-12x50 av for 760 euro

or a S/H leupold vari XIII 3.5-10x50 for 340 euro

or a S/H schmidt n bender 3-12x50 for 620 euro

where can i get these ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

just sent you a PM

Got in touch with the seller. Rings are medium height and accommodate up to a 56mm objective. The previous owner has a Swarovski PV 4-16x50 on it, so looks fine with regard to height.

Was looking at the Schmidt and Bender Precision Hunter 4-16x50 as well. Looks fantastic, but very expensive. I would love to get one second hand at the right time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

That would be FFP, S&B Varmint/Precision hunter4-16,1200/1500e.should be great scope
    Worth saving for,tidy on a hunting rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I had a 4-16x50 S&B, very good scope. Mounts have to be spot on though because of the limited travel. I had the Varmint 8 reticule, was a bit light for lamping but worked OK. Perfect for day time shooting with hold over points.
    The precision hunter turrets would be very helpfull. I had them installed on my 3-12x50 classic and now on my 3-12x50 zenith. Should have the zenith back end of next week. One can get them installed on just about any S&B, about 100Euro per turret.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

i have two meopta scopes...7x50 ir fixed on my .17hmr 30mm tube 3-9x42 on my cz 452 american....i find them both excellent scopes ...especially in low light conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

You could try one of these:

http://www.gunshop.cz/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=24_25&products_id=1437

This works out at about €700 and the glass in on par with Zeiss and much better than leupy VXIII they have a 30mm tube and milldot rec. in 2nd F.P.

By all accounts an excellent scope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

aimfield over in the uk has started to import.

http://www.aimfieldsports.com/sightronscopes.htm

I've been looking about and my options are cash dependant at the moment. If I can stretch, it looks like a Swarovski PV 4-16x50 or 6-24x50, whatever I can get. Otherwise, I'll shell out for 25mm rings and get a Zeiss Conquest 6-5-20x50.

• Advertisement
Advertisement