Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian bands

• 04-05-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

What are peoples views on outwardly christian bands, not bands that have christians in them but bands who actually say we are a christian band. Is it an automatic lol or are there actually good ones.

Are some of these bands just crap so they label themselves as christian and there are therefor bound to get a following from all those christians looking for music god would agree with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

I remember reading somewhere about The Fray being a christian band. Don't know if its true or not though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I respect all people with all views, creeds etc. However I feel bands that are outwardly religious, political or ideological just turn me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Yeah I'd find it hard to enjoy Christian music - when it feels like someone with a religious agenda is just out to preach to you it's a bit uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't enjoy religious fanatics preaching at me.

The only christian band that I've come close to enjoying are Stryper. Unfortunately if I listen to the lyrics I feel the urge to get sick everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Diesel007jones.

Sarah behan's ma is hot piece of ass, sexiest milf in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Good to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The devil has the best tunes ;)

Mind you King's X are a great band. But they're not overtly christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Wow, that's fascinating.....:rolleyes:

I don't care what religion a band's members are. But once they start singing about Christianity, that pisses me off. As Peter said, "the devil has the best tunes". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If they're going to sing about a god, at least make it something Norse and awesome...

peter1892 wrote: »

All that overly 'hail satan' crap is nearly as bad to be honest. Stuff like Possessed, Deicide, Venom etc (and a lot of early 80's trash/black) have simply embarrassing lyrics.

• Advertisement

If they're going to sing about a god, at least make it something Norse and awesome...

Or Irish ;)

I accept your offer, and raise you:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

*wonders what anyone with 666 in their username would know about singing about Gawd!* :D

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    *wonders what anyone with 666 in their username would know about singing about Gawd!* :D

Who is this Gawd you speak of? Enlighten me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

It depends on how overt the lyrics are. I dont think I could stomach any overly religious song, regardless of the creed. Some bands are quite good. I quite like Soul Embraced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Nightwish wrote: »
    It depends on how overt the lyrics are. I dont think I could stomach any overly religious song, regardless of the creed. Some bands are quite good. I quite like Soul Embraced.

Well given that Creed (see what i did there?) have recently gotten back together, i'm sure we'll have an album of over religious songs surfacing any month now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

damonjewel wrote: »
    I respect all people with all views, creeds etc. However I feel bands that are outwardly religious, political or ideological just turn me off.

Completely agree.

I don't mind bands that are religious as long as its not shoved down my throat.

This lot are Christian afaik ( in fact it was an insanely religious fella that told me about them ), but they don't push it too much and they are really very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If a band do it well I don't give a crap which side they're singing for. If an artist believes in what they're singing that's fine, when it's preachy or propagandist then I turn it off. The entire genre of christian rock needs to disappear as the music is frequently dire. Kings X, as already mentioned, are a band with sometimes christian themed lyrics but who don't do it in a patronising or overly obnoxious way and their tunes are of excellent quality. Trouble, one of my favourite bands, have christian themes in many of their songs but they're one of the best bands there has ever been. Even Black Sabbath have christian affirmation in their lyrics but it's not done in an in-your-face way, they're merely expressing their belief rather than making an issue an trying to ram it down your throat.

Trouble may have christian themed lyrics (Bible quotes etc) but they're definitely not a christian band, big difference imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You need to listen to them again then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

Here are a few Christian bands with a worldwide reputation for being top class.
    • Third Day
    • Delirious?
    • Jars of Clay
    • Casting Crowns

Have a listen, if you have any taste in music, you will agree that the music is good, even if you are not into the lyrics

Check out Mad 2009 if you want to see Christian Bands play at a Christian festival in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Did anyone ever listen to CrossRhythms a radio station from like Sheffield that some how was broadcasted over here for a bit. They used to play gas stuff like Christian Gangsta Rap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

The Chariot - Back To Back

UnderOath - In Regards To Myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

• Third Day
    • Delirious?
    • Jars of Clay
    • Casting Crowns

Have a listen, if you have any taste in music, you will agree that the music is good, even if you are not into the lyrics

Check out Mad 2009 if you want to see Christian Bands play at a Christian festival in Ireland

Sorry man, but when someone tells me if I don't like something I am wrong I tend to hold very little respect for them, its really not a good way to make your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

There's a difference between a Christian Band and a Band of Christians.

UnderOath and Corpus Christi (The American metalcore one, not the black metal one from Portugal) would be Christian bands.

As I Lay Dying and Paramore (Hideous example I know) would be bands that are made up of Christians but dont go around preaching or anything.

I really could care less about the religious affiliation of bands, but belief in god makes me think about their members slightly differently........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

peter1892 wrote: »

Thank you Mr. Hicks ;)

Really, Christian bands are hilarious, and Satanic bands are just as funny. OP, I'm going to have to say "automatic lol".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

• Third Day
    • Delirious?
    • Jars of Clay
    • Casting Crowns

But see this is my point entirely, them being christian is their selling point. If you said "check these bands out" without telling me that they were christian, and I downloaded a few tracks and listened, Then I'd probably say yeah. The fact that they are being sold to me as a 'Christian' band, makes it an incredibly big hump for me to get over. The same point about the redskins, some mates from school thought they were excellent and went on and on about their far left trotskyist credentials,which turned me off! equally there's anarchist chumbabwumba, and then there is the totally preachy U2. Now all these bands have their merits but I think they do the public a disservice by underestimating the public's intelligence. Its not as if music lovers don't pick up a newspaper, or watch news, or ponder spiritual matters from time to time. This might be arrogance on my behalf but I don't need a band to tell me about Pinochet, The environment, or religion.

I'm also quite happy with my taste by the way, none of your suggestions are anyway near as good as Kraftwerk, Bowie, The Velvets, Roxy etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Really, Christian bands are hilarious, and Satanic bands are just as funny

Yeah I find Satanic bands hilarious. Nothing wrong with bible bashing, but Satanism is just a new level of hilarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Theres a lot of really good Christian bands out there, they aren't for all people. However, they do speak to Christians very strongly and I can relate to the lyrics of these songs more so in many cases than I can relate to the lyrics of secular music.

Relient K, Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, Family Force 5, P.O.D, Red, amongst others are excellent. As I say perhaps moreso for a certain audience. If you don't agree with what they are about, that's fine, your personal choice. However as other users have said a lot of their music is good for musics sake rather than the lyrics sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

For some reason this thread reminded me of this...

Heres link in case video isnt showing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXGbwIkvh38

Spinal Tap - Stonehenge

Advertisement