Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yoga or water aerobics!

Options
  • 04-05-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just found out im pregnant, about 5 weeks! I am an active person generally, and do not plan on sitting on my bum for the next 9 months! I usually play GAA football but will stop this now as i think i will need to do something a little less energetic!!!:). so im wondering has anyone done yoga or water aerobics while pregnant and did they find it beneficial? or has any body done any other form of exersize while pregnant that they enjoyed and was safe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Hi all,

I have just found out im pregnant, about 5 weeks! I am an active person generally, and do not plan on sitting on my bum for the next 9 months! I usually play GAA football but will stop this now as i think i will need to do something a little less energetic!!!:). so im wondering has anyone done yoga or water aerobics while pregnant and did they find it beneficial? or has any body done any other form of exersize while pregnant that they enjoyed and was safe!

Hey fiona, congrats :D

I play, or should that be played, football too until I found out I was pregnant. I used to be out training or playing 4 times a week so sitting on my arse doing is not something I was keen on. I've trained a bit since the start (I'm now 5 and a half months gone). I basically head out to training when I'm not knackered and do whatever running their doing and stay out of the physical stuff. I also go to the games and do water girl, which actually involves way more running than you'd think!!

Pregnancy yoga is supposed to be really good for you. I haven't done it but yoga isn't really my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

Hey fiona, congrats :D

I play, or should that be played, football too until I found out I was pregnant. I used to be out training or playing 4 times a week so sitting on my arse doing is not something I was keen on. I've trained a bit since the start (I'm now 5 and a half months gone). I basically head out to training when I'm not knackered and do whatever running their doing and stay out of the physical stuff. I also go to the games and do water girl, which actually involves way more running than you'd think!!

Pregnancy yoga is supposed to be really good for you. I haven't done it but yoga isn't really my thing.

yeah yoga isnt really my thing either, but i heard its really good when pregnant, and plus all that stretching and breathing is suppose to help with the labour!!!:p fair play to you being water girl at 5 and a half months gone!! :eek: i think i will continue to do a bit of training with the rest of the girls ill just steer clear of the more strenuous stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Never tried yoga but did ante-natal aqua aerobics when preggars with first lad. It was lovely, gentle, lots of stretching and great to be able to move in the water with a lot more ease. It was done in the kiddie pool and the water was warmer to avoid cramps etc.

deisemum wrote: »
    Never tried yoga but did ante-natal aqua aerobics when preggars with first lad. It was lovely, gentle, lots of stretching and great to be able to move in the water with a lot more ease. It was done in the kiddie pool and the water was warmer to avoid cramps etc.

thanks for the reply deisemum.. would you know if most swimming pools have ante natal aerobics? that sounds nice and relaxing anyway, especially in the later stages of pregnancy when your just exhausted!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hi all and congrats on pregnancies... I thought I'd throw in my HO here for what its worth as this is something that has really bugged me since getting up the duff :D
    I'm coming up to 6 months now... played badminton up to three nights a week until I found out, league, training etc. Love it and love keeping fit, had to stop fully for the first few months due to miscarriage threats, although all ended up being fine in that regard... so I too thought yoga is meant to be good esp re breathing and keeping fit in a lighter way, so started a class and have to say its not my cup of tea and if you are used to regular proper exercise and breaking into a sweat you will be a bit let down... I'm still going but really wish I'd kept up some level of more strenuous exercise too, which I haven't and now that I'm getting bigger and a bit more clumsy as my centre of gravity has shifted and what not, its not really an option to start now... so my advise is at this early stage take up regular walking/jogging, stick to it no matter what and that might do the trick. Hope thats of some use :)

• Advertisement

thanks all for the replies! i go walking nearly everyday anyway, because i have a boxer dog that needs to be walked so i suppose that is an energetic enough form of exersize! most of the people i have talked to have said that the yoga is not really their kind of thing! especially as chuchu said if your used to more strenuous exersize... think i will defo try the water aerobics tho! :D

yeah yoga isnt really my thing either, but i heard its really good when pregnant, and plus all that stretching and breathing is suppose to help with the labour!!!:p fair play to you being water girl at 5 and a half months gone!! :eek: i think i will continue to do a bit of training with the rest of the girls ill just steer clear of the more strenuous stuff!!!

I never would have thought I'd be doing it either when I found out I was pregnant but it's been an easy enough pregnancy and I'm still fairly small so it's grand! I'd really like to be into the whole yoga thing because it's supposed to be really good for labour but I did pilates once before and nearly fell asleep during the class :)

I never would have thought I'd be doing it either when I found out I was pregnant but it's been an easy enough pregnancy and I'm still fairly small so it's grand! I'd really like to be into the whole yoga thing because it's supposed to be really good for labour but I did pilates once before and nearly fell asleep during the class :)

yeah i heard pilates is suppose to be even more boring then yoga!!:eek: haha..
    sorry to change the subject but gowayoutthat, i read in another thread that you went for one of those 3d scans the other day and foound out you were having a little boy, congrats! :) i found out on my other 2 what i was having, and i dont know what to do this time! id like to leave it as a surprise but the min i go for my scan i know that i prob wont be able t help myself asking what sex im having this time!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I had my first lad in London but I'm in Waterford and I've seen aqua-natal classes advertised from time to time not that I'd be on the look out as my baby is 11 years old.

I wanted to know what sex I was having but with my first lad the hospital refused to tell any one. Over here when I had my second I found out it was a boy, felt I bonded better as I knew it was a boy and not just a baby iykwim.

yeah i heard pilates is suppose to be even more boring then yoga!!:eek: haha..
    sorry to change the subject but gowayoutthat, i read in another thread that you went for one of those 3d scans the other day and foound out you were having a little boy, congrats! :) i found out on my other 2 what i was having, and i dont know what to do this time! id like to leave it as a surprise but the min i go for my scan i know that i prob wont be able t help myself asking what sex im having this time!!!:D

Oh I know, it's impossible to decide! I was totally adamant at the start that I didn't want to know. I was all set for a nice surprise once the baby was born. As the weeks went on though and I started thinking that all I had to do was ask and they'd tell me I was itching to know! My bf was in knots laughing at the change in me! I was literally counting down the days to the 3D scan.
    The 3D scan was cool. I really enjoyed it. Our little fella was very uncooperative at the start though! We were there for nearly two hours in the end by the time we finally got out. I liked it because our 20 week scan was a huge disappointment. I didn't know they only do small scans at 20 weeks in Cork!! I'd say we'd had a good 20 week scan we wouldn't have bothered with the 3D one. It's cool to have the pics and DVD though. I'm going to mortify the pure child at some stage in the future with a dvd of his little willy :D:D

• Advertisement

:D:D i know we swore we wud never make a show of our kids with the funny photos and baby memorabilia like our parents did!!! but here we are now years later showing of dvds of babys willy!!! haha. im exactly the same, i do be itching to know! i rem with my first i was adament i wasnt going to ask, then i asked the girl did she know what the sex was she said yes and that was the end of that! i just had to know then!!! ive just booked all my appointments this morning so have mini scan at end of july and dating scan in mid of aug, i will be 20 weeks then so should be really clear! but i hate the waiting.. aug seems a million years away! im very impatient!

Advertisement