Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meta: The need for a sticky addressing "What camera should I buy?" questions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Just fwiw, I spoke to AnCatDubh recently about something similar, that I thought something like this would work well in Photography and this could certainly extend to "what camera should I get" as well as a whole host of other questions people might be too shy to ask.

I agree that there's certainly a necessity to contain all the "What camera should I get" threads, especially as people never seem to be bothered even searching for the camera model they're interested in, but there is quite a few stickies as it is and there really can only be so many stickies per forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

There's already a sticky prominently marked "read before posting" that, presumably, people never do. IIRC there used to be a sticky actually entitled "what camera should I buy" or something similar. Everyone used to ignore that too. I think they're (unfortunately) of somewhat limited use. Its the very people who want others to do all their leg work for them who are the ones to completely ignore the stickified posts in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I agree that those who are likely to ask these questions are most likely those who don't read the "read before posting" sticky but at least having a dedicated place to send them would hopefully contain their their threads to the initial post and a single reply rather than keep recycling them with attempts to help them heavily based on supposition due to the lack of information they typically offer.

If the sheer number of stickies is a concern: we could preface the FAQ with something to the effect of what I have written. This really isn't a preventative measure, I believe one is impossible in this case. It is a way of providing a generic response to a generic question so we can stop wasting or time with these questions.

I like the idea of a catch-all no-such-thing-as-a-stupid-question thread, I think it would have plenty of applications.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I did post a Sticky in the lead up to Christmas about this. It had a link to the DP Review selector. That thread was merged into the FAQ as we had to cut down on the number of Stickies.

My feeling is now that the "What camera should I buy?" threads will always be a part of life in any Photography Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

This was on my mind earlier. We had such a thing in the run up to Christmas and it worked reasonably well. We thought the rush was over so we let it float away from sticky land.

We need to appreciate that people will visit this forum without any prior knowledge of what a camera actually is or may be under the illusion that the more megapixels you have the better your camera is :eek:

The forum must also welcoming of such individuals (explicit in our charter) so we need to be cognisant of that in the approach. A consistent approach should however mean that only 'well founded' questions land on the forum.

The thread in the FAQ's which Cabansail mentioned is a good one as is the preamble suggested in the opening post of this thread. I'm thinking perhaps a merge and for posters in the first instance to be directed to that thread by those more seasoned on the forum unless they state that they have been through that thread and yet have a further question. This should at least yield informed questions on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I suppose another idea might be another subforum? Perhaps on hardware review/discussion and leave the main forum for more general purpose? It'd be almost unavoidable when browsing I think, unlike Stickies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just an observation, but if you do end up with a sticky along the lines of charybdis' suggestion it coud probably do with a re-write, but not immediately after doing a trawl through the forum finding the problem "What should I get?" threads as it could do with being toned down a bit. ;)

I don't think it's actually a problem that will ever go away though, but having some basic pointers as to where to go to find usefull info in an obvious place will always help a bit. However, whilst all the info is in the FAQ, it's possibly just got a bit too much there and after the first two links even the questions become completely unintelligable to someone who is just popping in here for the first time so they may not even notice the very first link once they have opened up that message as everything else in there will just be over most peoples heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's any consolation, over on the GPS forum there's exactly the same problem i.e. almost every day someone (usually a recent joiner to boards.ie) asks the 'which SatNav should I buy' question. People just can't be arsed doing a small amount of research themselves.

Advertisement