Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos no recepit

Options
  • 04-05-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys was just looking for a bit of help, i bought a lcd t.v for my daughter for Christmas, i paid by Laser card early November. The telly went on the blink over the weekend and i want to bring it back, just wondering were do i stand having no recepit, i've looked everywhere and can't find it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Unless you have proof of purchase your complaint wont be entertained. You will have to get a copy of your bank statement from November to prove that you purchased the LCD tv in Argos. Also having the packaging with the cat. no would help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Cheers nightwish, statement is no problem, packaging is long gone though, i might just take a spin down tomorrow and take a chance and see how i get on. It wouldn't bother me too much other than the T.V has had little or no use, she reckons it has had no longer than 20 hours use due to working abroad and different bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheers nightwish, statement is no problem, packaging is long gone though, i might just take a spin down tomorrow and take a chance and see how i get on. It wouldn't bother me too much other than the T.V has had little or no use, she reckons it has had no longer than 20 hours use due to working abroad and different bits and pieces.
    Bring a copy of your laser card statement. You may need it or at least have a rough date of the purchase. Most stores will take that as proof of purchase. Thankfully.....I ran into an issue with a digital camera I bought as a present last christmas. Receipt/boxes etc long gone but they asked me how I paid. Luckily I said laser. They asked me what date I bought it on, then asked to see my laser. They had a record on their database of the purchase. Fair enough of them, another benefit of paying with plastic which I hadnt though of until then.........

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

kippy wrote: »
    Bring a copy of your laser card statement. You may need it or at least have a rough date of the purchase. Most stores will take that as proof of purchase. Thankfully.....I ran into an issue with a digital camera I bought as a present last christmas. Receipt/boxes etc long gone but they asked me how I paid. Luckily I said laser. They asked me what date I bought it on, then asked to see my laser. They had a record on their database of the purchase. Fair enough of them, another benefit of paying with plastic which I hadnt though of until then.........

Cheers Kippy i was thinking along these lines myself, will let you know how i get on tomorrow.

Bear in mind that the records only go back so far. Novembers records would probably no longer be on computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Nightwish wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the records only go back so far. Novembers records would probably no longer be on computer.
    In order for them to validate a receipt when you bring something back, there has to be a record of some sort on their database. So even though the OP doesn't have a receipt, there will still be a record of some form there on the system so it is just a matter of showing argos that one particular record is theirs.

OP, best bet is to bring a statement as already advised, or better still, the card itself. Can't speak for argos, but the place I used to work for had a POS system where a quick swipe of a customers card would bring up everything ever purchased using that particular card (once the customer hadn't changed their card number since buying the item). Argos possibly have a similar system in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fizzles

Have to say I always found Argos customer service to be excellent when
    returning goods. Mind you I always had the receipt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fizzles wrote: »
    Have to say I always found Argos customer service to be excellent when
    returning goods. Mind you I always had the receipt!!
    Same here, and I think a few times there I think I overheard people who were saying they had no receipt and the CC records were good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

CC details should be enough for them to replace it!

Kensington wrote: »
    In order for them to validate a receipt when you bring something back, there has to be a record of some sort on their database. So even though the OP doesn't have a receipt, there will still be a record of some form there on the system so it is just a matter of showing argos that one particular record is theirs.

OP, best bet is to bring a statement as already advised, or better still, the card itself. Can't speak for argos, but the place I used to work for had a POS system where a quick swipe of a customers card would bring up everything ever purchased using that particular card (once the customer hadn't changed their card number since buying the item). Argos possibly have a similar system in place.

The OP should be fine with their statement, but my point was that there may not be a record on computer of the transaction. I worked there for 7 years, and the transaction history of a product goes back 3 pages on the computer. Now 3 pages lists the date and time the product was sold. How far back in time it goes depends on how many were sold. If the particular product was a popular line then the history may only go back a matter of weeks. If its something not so popular there may be records going back to last November. Also the Argos OS is archaic. There's no way of simply scanning a card to check what was purchased with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Surely every transaction that is completed by Argos must be kept on their database for record retrieval. What about the annual company audit?, surely they must keep all of their records on a central database for each store so they can be accessed easily. It seems inconceivable for any company not to back up all of their files.

Hope it works out for you OP. Your credit card/bank statement should be sufficient for you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

DenMan wrote: »
    Surely every transaction that is completed by Argos must be kept on their database for record retrieval. What about the annual company audit?, surely they must keep all of their records on a central database for each store so they can be accessed easily. It seems inconceivable for any company not to back up all of their files.
    In-store records go back 13 weeks (or to the latest catalogue launch, whichever was sooner). There is no doubt a centralised system, but stores are effectively "offline" from HQ until they submit details at the end of the day.
    Kensington wrote: »
    No such luck, I'm afraid.

All that said, you will get a replacement on the TV provided you show the statement. They'll check the pricing on the item to make sure it was that price at that time, and do the replacement. You won't get to keep the packaging of the replacement TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I know i phoned them over a damaged bed 2 years after i purchased it, i had no order number or receipt but my CC number was enough for them to get the details

Argos Direct operate differently, as your details are specific to a fully traceable order no. With store bought items, you'd need the transaction number to get the same information. As was mentioned already, the store files are backed up to HQ, so CC details and the like are not kept beyond a certain date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I have never ever once in my entire life completed a succesful return in Argos even with receipt, they always find any excuse to refuse(Even with an unopened box??). Maybe the staff are just assh0les

Yeah, every single one of the hundreds of employees are a$$holes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Maybe he/she just had a bad experience with them Nightwish, we all have some bad experiences with some shop staff in the past. I find the staff in the new Sligo branch to be very friendly and helpful. Granted some of them don't know much about the products esp Electronics, but they are doing their best partyatmygaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thats now when at any time they can be made redundant. Im talking back 2 years ago and before when the "I dont give a f*ck, go f*ck yourself" attitude that was in full swing in most retail shops

Advertisement