Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John D's wrecked

Options
  • 04-05-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

John D's in Balbriggan was taken over by a group of indivuals this evening who proceeded to smash windows and throw bottles and other missiles at Gardai. It escalated to the point where the riot squad had to storm the pub to get them out. The pub looked absolutely destroyed. That's briefly what happened I'm sure others will have more details and hopefully pictures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bellybutton

Were they <snip>?

Do not use derogatory terms in this forum. Thanks. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Heard they were travellers (thought not confirmed), not sure if there was something in particular like a wedding / funeral. The misses got a text from a guy in work telling her.

(to save HB have to give a few beatings with a ban stick, bare in mind the whole issue with posting names or general rumours)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

That's insane. I hope they arrested loads of them \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

most of the lads taken away in cuffs were travellers. one or two were locals though. the traveller women just dumped their bloody clothes on vauxhall street, i seen a couple of young ones taking pictures of the clothes with their phones and saying "i'm putting this up on bebo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

Driving by earlier at 2ish and there was a couple (travellers) having a massive row outside John D's. Yer one was giving him loads, screaming the head off.

I'd love to see the <snip> piccies.

Do not use derogatory terms in this forum. Thanks. HB

• Advertisement

I'm off to have a look on youtube!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It made this morning's papers too.

Indo & Times.

Cant wait to hear pavee Point on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Was heading North through the town last night (7.15pm) and there were about 8 Gardai on the street outside of JD's. A family member tried to travel up Drogheda Street shortly afterwards and found out that they closed the whole road from approx 7.30pm and diverted traffic onto the ring road.

There was a removal ceremony winding up in the church as I passed but they didn't look like they belonged to that group iykwim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Not sure whats worse, the people commentating on the video or the people in the pub causing trouble.

Little to be doing than standing around having a smoke watching this rubbish :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Sizzler wrote: »
    Not sure whats worse, the people commentating on the video or the people in the pub causing trouble.

Little to be doing than standing around having a smoke watching this rubbish :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly - I got one minute into it and turned it off - couldn't listen to them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its on the front page of the Star as well..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gingy Fly

John D's fault if you ask me for letting them in. No pub in Balbriggan will entertain these passer by people. There was a similar incident in another pub a while back but was difussed before it got out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

They can't be refused without good cause, and being a traveller isn't one.

The fact that someone has now trashed the place means they can now be refused for that, but being a traveller isn't a valid region.

Stroke of luck I should have been on the bus comign into Balbriggan at 7:30 luckily I managed to get out of work a bit early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Typical. I remember something like this happened in Laytown a few years back and the pub got burned down by the travellers. Really not on making such a mess like this if they are actually being let into somewhere to drink....

Gillo wrote: »
    They can't be refused without good cause, and being a traveller isn't one.

The fact that someone has now trashed the place means they can now be refused for that, but being a traveller isn't a valid region.

Stroke of luck I should have been on the bus comign into Balbriggan at 7:30 luckily I managed to get out of work a bit early.

Publican reserves the right of admission, period !

Gingy Fly wrote: »
    A publican cannot refuse to serve someone because they are a traveller, black, jewish, whatever. The publican needs to have a specific reason, eg, previously barred for fighting, bad behaviour, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Yes, but has to apply the right of admission equally to everyone. Cannot use being Pavee to stop anyone, as much as cannot refuse Polish or Nigerian for instance.

However, if someone seems to be drunk OR disorderly OR aggressive then they can be refused entry AND/OR alcohol, but they have to be treated the same as everyone else.

luap_42 wrote: »
    However, if someone seems to be drunk OR disorderly OR aggressive then they can be refused entry AND/OR alcohol, but they have to be treated the same as everyone else.

Agreed, so if they are drunk coming up to the bar looking more drink they can and most probably were refused in this instance. That is when all hell broke loose I would say.

Heres the Boyo's being put in the Paddy Wagon !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wuBPFzuK7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

And we l know what happens then dont we, the oul "Is it because im a traveller", the oul race card is played, court case to follow and possible loss of licence, talk about rock and a hard place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Eoineo wrote: »
    There was a removal ceremony winding up in the church as I passed but they didn't look like they belonged to that group iykwim?

I was at that removal and I can safely say that this was not the crowd involved in whatever happened in JD's.

It's a shame because it used to be a good pub, has been a ruin for years now though. Something like this has been waiting to happen there for a while, there was a similar incident recently (within the last year, I'm fairly sure) where there were lots of gardaí called, discarded clothes and blood being cleaned off the walls. Traditions are all good, though, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I doubt those people came from a removal. If I recall correctly, the last time there was a removal or funeral involving our nomadic cousins all the pubs in Balbriggan and the surounding areas were advised by the Gardaí to lock their doors and only allow regulars in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

pithater1 wrote: »
    I doubt those people came from a removal. If I recall correctly, the last time there was a removal or funeral involving our nomadic cousins all the pubs in Balbriggan and the surounding areas were advised by the Gardaí to lock their doors and only allow regulars in.

Put it in perspective. It is the minority that give the rest a bad name, fit the stereotype, attract negative press. Problems occur at occassions with multiple large extended families, higher chance of troublesome minority element, not helped by drink and family disputes.

There are plenty of travellers who are far better behaved than a large minority of young people in this country out on a Saturday night. What percentage of public order offences are travellers involved in? I'm guessing that it is less per head than non-travellers.

You don't see the vast majority because they are just getting on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The problem is that the more incidents such as this that happen, the negative stereotype gets reenforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

10 due in court over siege at Balbriggan pub

Ten people are due to appear before Dublin District Court this afternoon in connection with a siege at a pub in north Co Dublin yesterday.

The incident happened at John D's bar in The Square, Balbriggan, when a number of customers took over the pub, forcing staff and other patrons to flee.

At one stage, Gardai closed the centre of the town after becoming involved in a stand-off with those inside the building.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/courts/10-due-in-court-over-siege-at-balbriggan-pub-1729042.html

This report in the Herald says that there were over 100 Gardaí there. I bet the bakery did a roaring trade on donuts. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

100? There was 25 at the very most. Typical sensationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

Hill Billy wrote: »
    This report in the Herald says that there were over 100 Gardaí there. I bet the bakery did a roaring trade on donuts. :D

it's okay for him to say all gardaí like doughnuts, but i bet i'll get in trouble for saying all travellers are filthy inbred scumbags

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement