Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John D's wrecked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

luap_42 wrote: »
    Put it in perspective. It is the minority that give the rest a bad name, fit the stereotype, attract negative press. Problems occur at occassions with multiple large extended families, higher chance of troublesome minority element, not helped by drink and family disputes.

There are plenty of travellers who are far better behaved than a large minority of young people in this country out on a Saturday night. What percentage of public order offences are travellers involved in? I'm guessing that it is less per head than non-travellers.

You don't see the vast majority because they are just getting on with their lives.

I beg to differ on the per head counts when it comes to public order offences. I doubt they even keep such statistics anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just watched their youtube moment, hard to know who I'd like to live by less - the travellers or the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

dsmythy wrote: »
    I beg to differ on the per head counts when it comes to public order offences. I doubt they even keep such statistics anyway.

Well, unless you live in Tuam or Rathkeale. Like I said just guessing. I see far more non-travellers up to no good every weekend and very little travellers, but maybe I'm just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Says in The star that one of the travellers actually rang the paper and said "We are doing this out of spite" and the best bit. We will be barred but we will just say this is because we are travellers. They no they can get away with using this line and use it to their advantage. Pub would have been better off closing for the day. Cheaper to lose a days takings than the place wrecked.

Why is it I can be refused for no reason and have to live with it, but these can claim there travllers and take them to court. ****in scum :mad:

pithater1 wrote: »
    The problem is that the more incidents such as this that happen, the negative stereotype gets reenforced.

In my opinion, its not stereotyping that fecks rubbish, washing machines fridges and other debris around areas.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 -roisin-

in response to what was said about the group in the church..
    i was there in the church and we certaintly werent involved, we were coming back from a funeral mass..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 -roisin-

Slunk wrote: »
    Says in The star that one of the travellers actually rang the paper and said "We are doing this out of spite" and the best bit. We will be barred but we will just say this is because we are travellers. They no they can get away with using this line and use it to their advantage. Pub would have been better off closing for the day. Cheaper to lose a days takings than the place wrecked.

Why is it I can be refused for no reason and have to live with it, but these can claim there travllers and take them to court. ****in scum :mad:

do you have a link to the article in the star? i tried looking for it, but failed to find it..

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

the most worrying part of all this is that they all live locally,either Balbriggan or Skerries,and the boys in the video who were roaring abuse at them should be careful as there were more travellers mixed through the crowd watching the whole sorry mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

wobzilla wrote:
    but i bet i'll get in trouble for saying all travellers are filthy inbred scumbags

You should have put money on that bet - You're banned for a month for that. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

According to today's Times John D's may lose its licence over this. Now this may be a slightly controversial opinion but I think it would be a bad thing for the other pubs in the town if that were to happen. John D's seems to attract a certain type of crowd and I would not like to have to drink alongside that particular crowd in other pubs in the town.

Here's the Times article.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0506/1224245994291.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

yeah, and its a shame. The owner (William?) if it is still him is a bang on chap.

Doest attract a certain type and always has too :P

Probably head to O sheas down the harbour now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Africa wrote: »
    yeah, and its a shame. The owner (William?) if it is still him is a bang on chap.

Doest attract a certain type and always has too :P

Probably head to O sheas down the harbour now.
    It said in the Star yesterday that Gary Browne was the License Holder? Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

AFAIK Gary is the licence holder of De Brun's.

Didn't Gary Browne buy up a load of the buildings around that area of town a few years back with a view to developing the area around the old Mill Pond around Vauxhall Street?

Although I'd take anything the Star publish with a very large lump of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

kcools wrote: »

true, thats why I found it strange..... As the previous poster said it was the Star, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

kcools wrote: »

I heard the other day that Gary Browne is owner of the pub but leases out the premises.

Today's Independent Article
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pub-boarded-up-as-nine-appear-in-court-over-clashes-1729636.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mimosacriminal

sgarvan, you are 100% correct.
    Wonder where the john d's clientele will move to now and wreck. Is it the hotel, de bruin or O'Sheas.
    No matter what a **** hole john d's was at least it catered for a certain element that kept them out of other establishments.

Bad luck for the existing owner , heard his pub in grangebellew burnt down 3 weeks ago!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Gary Brown owns it, your man Will leased it from him (he used to work in DeBrun's for Brown). What he was trying to do with it I don't know, but the experiment has failed (again).

Like I said, John D's used to be one of the best pubs in the town years ago, however it has been a demonstration of how easy it is to ruin a perfectly good pub and how hard it is to turn it around again. Ironically the removal that was on at the same time was full of people who used to drink there before it became a sh!t-hole. Not one of them, myself included, would have dreamt of standing inside the place in recent years, I'd imagine.

sgarvan, you are 100% correct.
    Wonder where the john d's clientele will move to now and wreck. Is it the hotel, de bruin or O'Sheas.
    No matter what a **** hole john d's was at least it catered for a certain element that kept them out of other establishments.

Bad luck for the existing owner , heard his pub in grangebellew burnt down 3 weeks ago!!;)

I'd hope they fcek off down to De Bruin, that place is well on its way down to the level of John D's.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

A lot of John Ds clientele are already barred from most other establishments in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 steven08

I cant believe it made Youtube and do you know what the people who took the video are unbelieveable slagging the Gardai - they are trying to do a job for god sakes - its hard enough dealing with the situation and then having the public shout abuse at them aswell,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

pithater1 wrote: »
    According to today's Times John D's may lose its licence over this. Now this may be a slightly controversial opinion but I think it would be a bad thing for the other pubs in the town if that were to happen. John D's seems to attract a certain type of crowd and I would not like to have to drink alongside that particular crowd in other pubs in the town.

Here's the Times article.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0506/1224245994291.html

Fully agree. Sure didn't we see that when John D's was closed for renovations? Other pubs, particularly De Bruns, were used as a replacement by the regulars of John Ds and suffered for it. Its a real pity. Bouncers need to be on the door of every pub in the town and known trouble makers need to be refused.

The youtube video is sickening but more for the idiots doing the filming. They show themselves up massively and I cringe when anyone even mentions it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I don't think bouncers on the door of a pub automatically help. Most of the good pubs in the town have never had a bouncer on the door. In fact the only pubs that I've seen with bouncers (not counting O'Shea's as that's a nightclub as well, so you'd expect bouncers there) are John D's and DeBruns! (possibly to keep their select clientele in rather than out, mind you!).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

They deserve exactly what they got. They brought their own beer into the pub with them. No pity for them , and as for the 2 local ejjits that were involved they are both barred from every pub in the North County. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Baldoyle has a Garda station now?...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Friday September 25 2009

SERIOUS criminal damage charges have been dropped against eight men allegedly involved in a pub fight over the May Bank Holiday weekend.

A judge struck out the criminal damage charges against the men as the DPP was not ready to proceed with the case, and the State was unable to give a good reason for the delay.

The men still face minor public order matters in relation to the incident on May 4.

The men are Martin McDonagh (33), of Chapel Gate, Balbriggan, Gerard Tuite (46), of Derham Park, Balbriggan, Martin Lawrence (40), of Bremore Drive, Balbriggan, and Stephen Lawrence (23), of Pinewood Green Road, Balbriggan.

Also before the court were Christopher Lawrence (26), of Mourne Park, Skerries, Richard Daly (40), of Mourne Close, Skerries, David Lawrence (37), of Gardiner's Hill, Balbriggan, and William Lawrence (24), of Dunsaithne Drive, Balbriggan.

There were accused of causing more than €60,000-worth of damage to John D's pub, in Balbriggan. It was alleged that the men damaged windows, furniture, glasses and spirits, after they barricaded themselves in the pub.

The case was listed in Balbriggan District Court this week for DPP's directions and possible further charges.

Inspector Declan Yeates told the court that gardai prepared and submitted a file to the DPP.

He said 13 people were arrested, and gardai have examined some six hours of CCTV footage.

The inspector said that while the men were charged individually, the offences all related to the one "complex" incident.

Inspector Yeates said the DPP has not yet issued directions on charges of criminal damage, nor on possibile further charges.

Defence lawyer Suzanne Gunn, acting for Christopher Lawrence, said her client was charged on May 5 and appeared in court again in June, when he consented to a long adjournment so the State could get DPP direction.

She said the case was now more then 150 days old and DPP's directions were still not available. Her comments were echoed by lawyers representing the other men.

Judge Patrick Brady said the State should have been represented in court by a solicitor.

The judge said there was no good reason to extend further time for the DPP's directions.

He struck out the criminal damage charges against all eight, and said the State can come again with the charges if and when they are ready.

Judge Brady adjourned the drunk and disorderly matters to a date in November for a plea.

A ninth man, Brian Lawrence (30), of Hampton Wood, Balbriggan, failed to appear in court and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest.

The only woman charged in connection with the incident, Annie Lawrence (22), of Dunsaithne Crescent, Balbriggan, consented to her case being adjourned for two weeks for possible further charges

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Goodness that doesn't reflect well on the DPP.
    Gives the wrong message to those who were involved - i.e. that if you are a part of a large affray then the DPP may take so long to issue a direction that you could get away with it.
    I'd say the alleged culprits are delighted!

That is a fcuking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Eoineo wrote: »
    Goodness that doesn't reflect well on the DPP.
    Gives the wrong message to those who were involved - i.e. that if you are a part of a large affray then the DPP may take so long to issue a direction that you could get away with it.
    I'd say the alleged culprits are delighted!

Hopefully the office of the DPP get themselves into gear and actually bring the charges against the offenders! The Gardai must feel like they are banging their heads against the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

He struck out the criminal damage charges against all eight, and said the State can come again with the charges if and when they are ready.

Does this mean that the DPP is still entitled to bring charges against these people at a later date in relation to this? Hopefully that is the case.

I am surprised that the DPP were not represented in court but maybe they thought that it would automatically be extended. Does it not usually take ages to bring a case - you hear of victims having to wait years for a murder or rape trial to come up. This only happened at the end of May, and considering there is so little happening in the courts in August, it seems very quick to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement