Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4 rumours started by Eidos

Options
  • 04-05-2009 9:41pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58472

They've already resurrected Deus Ex, now they're hinting at a new Thief.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, goody, Thief is my favourite series by a long shot. Even when they did stupid consoley things to Deadly Shadows. I'll be watching with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thief is one of series I've never got around to playing, which is strange considering I like stealthy games. If there was to be a new one, I'd have to go back and play the first 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bring it back to fps style and don't dumb it down for consoles

kthxbai!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

bring it back to fps style and don't dumb it down for consoles

kthxbai!
    Good luck with that :(

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I've been waiting for this one for ages.

BTW, Deadly Shadows may have suffered from Consolitis but the Cradle is probably the best level made for any game ever in my opinion. It's genius.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it is Thief 4 ...

Please don't suck & be a console sell-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

Aye this would be cool, hopefully they will remember 1 & 2, tho 3 wasnt terrible, just wasnt as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So what are the bets it ends up a GTA clone with quick time events?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

humanji wrote: »
    Oh no you didn't!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quick Time Events. Ergh *shudder* When will people learn?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

My only concern about this is that when the last one came out, the previous developers Ion Storm already had ideas for a Thief 4. They were going to set it in modern times, albeit modern steampunk. I love the medieval steampunk setting - I hope they retain it. Leave the silencers to Sam Fisher plx.

The GTA remark may not be that silly either. The idea of a free-roaming non-linear Thief game was bounced about the place many years ago as well. I think that was an early idea LGS had for Thief 2.

They probably could have made a good stab at it if they'd kept Deadly Shadows away from the filthy clutches of the Xbox and its non-swimming, non-rope-arrowing arbitrarily-segmented-level hordes of darkness.
    humanji wrote:

Avaunt! and quit my sight! Let the earth hide thee!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I really enjoyed Thief 3, largely due to the exceptional level design, and great atmosphere, the inability to go toe to toe with 4 guards was nice. Although the moments of swash buckling panic as a group of guards spot you can be very fun from the previous titles.

I'll with hold judgement on this one until theres more to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hopefully any sequel is set in the same universe. Thief 3 was brilliant, especially the infamous ShaleBridge Cradle level.

P.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

May I be the first to say ... Yipee!
    :D

Though the name - Thi4f - is retarded beyond belief

Just started playing Thief 1 again. Jesus it was a bitch to get running. Graphics have obviously dated but the gameplay and the sound sure haven't. Awesome.

Still trying to get the install exe to actually run for Thief 2 under Vista 64.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Maximilian wrote: »
    Just started playing Thief 1 again. Jesus it was a bitch to get running. Graphics have obviously dated but the gameplay and the sound sure haven't. Awesome.

Still trying to get the install exe to actually run for Thief 2 under Vista 64.

There was a switch needed for that to install, add -lgntforce at the end.

Spear wrote: »
    There was a switch needed for that to install, add -lgntforce at the end.

Yeah that worked nicely for Thief 1 but not at all for Thief 2 or the Indeo movie codecs. I eventually managed to get both of those to install by running the setup in safe mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

there is a cracking article on eurogamer about the original thief which I only read recently.

got me thinking how awesome a thief movie (trilogy perhaps) would be if done right.

• Advertisement

Nevermind Escape from Butcher Bay, the original 2 Thief games are crying out for a modern remake. Game Engines, and their lighting systems in particular have come on leaps and bounds and you could do some great things in a remake. Imagine playing Thief 1 only where surfaces properly reflect; the tension as your cover is blown by a guard spotting you in the mirror

That is something I would happily pay for. I still play Thief 1/2 (when Vista deigns to let them run, at least) and they are still leaps and bounds ahead of anything that's tried to claim stealth gameplay since. Nothing has come even remotely close in the decade since The Dark Project came out. I'd much rather pay €50 for the same game again with shiny graphics instead of the masses of generic dull hollow things currently on the shelves.

I amazed how brilliant Thief 1 still is after all these years. I'm about half way through now, playing on expert. Loving every minute.

Only the graphics have dated but that doesn't matter because most of the screen is some shade of black anyway. Those games were just way ahead of their time. I can't think of many games that still remain completely compelling and immersive after so many years.

If anyone hasn't played them - you owe it to yourself to do so.

Tried Down In the Bonehoard on expert there (Christ but it's a struggle to get Thief working on Vista!), and it's still as murderously hard and downright creepy as ever. Best zombie sounds EVER. It's so amazingly satisfying when you make a break for it while the guards' backs are turned, leaping off the balcony onto the floor below (covered with a moss arrow of course) and manage to leg it behind a corner just before they turn round again. Such tension!

<3

Gotta love the cutscenes too. The big Reveal one in particular is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Great news, can't wait for this. Ah memories of Shalebridge Cradle, that fairly made the hairs stand on end alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Great, hope they dont **** it up.
    The name is worrying.

I bought thief 2 and never installed it, now I've lost it :(
    I've only played thief 3, but I thought it was brilliant. The only first person game I've ever enjoyed.

Advertisement