Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to answer a question on macbeth

Options
  • 04-05-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Ok, silly question but when answering a question on macbeth, what is the best way to do it? Say if the question is kingship, or deception, do you just go through the play and illustrate where kingship is illuminated or where deception is highlighted?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

lorna100 wrote: »
    Ok, silly question but when answering a question on macbeth, what is the best way to do it? Say if the question is kingship, or deception, do you just go through the play and illustrate where kingship is illuminated or where deception is highlighted?

Thanks

IMO, my main priority for macbeth is to keep referring to question being asked. Like I have an essay learned off for L. Macbeth and Macbeth and there is so many ways they could word the question but in essence its going to go back to their character so im cheeky by paraphrasing the question throughout my answer using my learned off material. Did it for the pre and got 55/60!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Whatever you do don't go re-telling the story cus you will lose marks for that... It's seen as chancing your arm basically and is a sign that you don't really know what you're being asked.
    Tufty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

tufterween wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't go re-telling the story cus you will lose marks for that... It's seen as chancing your arm basically and is a sign that you don't really know what you're being asked.
    Tufty

+1 The most you can get is 40% is this is all you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

This is what we're told to do:

In the introduction - depending on the question asked, say if its kingship, you could talk about what kingship is, how it worked and then give a thesis on how its shown in the play, literally stating what it is you're going to be talking about through the rest of your essay.

Then for the following paragraphs always start off with a topic sentence - showing the examiner what the topic of that paragraph is. Quote and comment. What I've learnt to do to fill out an essay is comment A LOT, they seem to go for that =/

Conclusion - conclusions are always where I fall down so I dunno if I can really help you there.. I think you just gotta tie up the points you've made previously and try come up with a creative way of doing that, rather than saying something dull theyd have read a thousand times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Talk about the importance of kingship or whatever to Shakespeare's contemporaries, and the affect it has on the charachters and the play as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

If you look back at past exam questions, most if not all questions about Macbeth have two facets one must cover. What I mean is, use/abuse of power, ambition/regret, pity/no pity - so it's importent you cover both aspects of the question, that doesn't mean equally, ie. you could have it 70/30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭laura!

if it was about kingship... talk about the different types of kings and their good and bad qualities. like duncan the over trusting, naive one, macbeth- ruthless, malcolm, king edward of eng . etc
    and say which king would be the best like malcolm... as he's all rounded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

with the kingship one i start off with the definition of a king and the divine right of kings which is shown in macbeth as a kind of introduction thn i do
    -2 paragraphs on duncan (good and bad ie:guillableness but his good nature)
    -a paragraph on edward the saintly king
    -2/3 paragaphs on macbeth(usurping the thrown,his illegitamate rule and why it couldnt work)
    -a paragraph on the hopefull rule of malcolm.

then a short conclusion.

got me an a a few weeks back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

If it's kingship you're after, here's a sample essay:

http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Kingship%2C_with_its_potential_for_good_or_evil%2C_is_a_major_theme_in_Macbeth

(I'll stop linking to zulunotes now.. I just think it's haaaaandy out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

lorna100 wrote: »

Thanks

they say its best to do it chronalogically.
    gives it coherence and clarity.

PCLM people, P C L M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Fince wrote: »
    they say its best to do it chronalogically.
    gives it coherence and clarity.

PCLM people, P C L M

Emmm, its quite late, and my brain is frazzled :o

In English please? :P

Emmm, its quite late, and my brain is frazzled :o

In English please? :P

Purpose
    Coherence
    Language
    Mechanics.

Have a look at the marking schemes, nah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

bythewoods wrote: »

http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Kingship%2C_with_its_potential_for_good_or_evil%2C_is_a_major_theme_in_Macbeth

That essay is class. I'll start sticking up my notes on it during the summer. No time now. :o

Purpose
    Coherence
    Language
    Mechanics.

Have a look at the marking schemes, nah?

95% of the english course is based around PCLM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

nice work, very good essay, hope it helps me out along with anyone else who needs some notes on macbeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

brennaldo wrote: »
    nice work, very good essay, hope it helps me out along with anyone else who needs some notes on macbeth.

I know the girl who wrote that essay!:D

Well, I haven't a clue myself- all I know is, I'm stelaing her ideas.
    Thanks random person who put their essay onto that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Praying we get a nice and easy question for Macbeth.

Poetry = grand. Learn 3/4
    Comparative = grand. Learn 2/3.
    Macbeth = scared.

Do they always ask a theme and character question? =/ The one in the mock/pre was alright (tragic hero one)...

i've a feeling that there won't be a character one.
    supernatural is a possibility ( i hope that comes up because most people tend to stay clear).
    i heard somone tipping imagery to come up (that would be quite nasty imo)

Imagery/Symbolism wouldn't be that bad. Since Macbeth has no props, language and imagery are key for emotions, characterisation and atmosphere etc.

- Intro
    - Animal imagery
    - blood imagery <- key
    - Darkness/Light imagery
    - Clothing
    - Disease/corruption
    - Conclusion.

Something like that. :)

• Advertisement

Could you elaborate on the "disease/corruption"?

Using my notes so may not be entirely suitable:

Imagery of Disease and Corruption
    Health and diease imagery are symbolically related to good and evil.

Macbeth's corruption is suggested by images of sickness and disease. His rule is described as "distempered".

Speaking of Lady M's illness, the doctor says: "This disease is beyond my practice". He goes on to speak of "infected minds" telling their secrets to their pillows. Macbeth wishes that the doctor could cure his sick wife: "Canst thou not minister to a mind disease?"

He also wishes that the doctor could cure Scotland's disease: "If thou couldst, doctor, case the water of my land, find her disease, and purge it to a sound and pristine health". It is ironic that Macbeth cannot see that he is Scotland's disease.

Malcom and the other forces of good are seen as the antidote to the disease that is Macbeth. In the final act, the Scottish lords march to Birnam wood to join forces with Malcolm: "Meet we the medicine of the sickly weal."

Just some ideas. :o

Gloom wrote: »
    Macbeth wishes that the doctor could cure his sick wife: "Canst thou not minister to a mind disease?"

He also wishes that the doctor could cure Scotland's disease: "If thou couldst, doctor, case the water of my land, find her disease, and purge it to a sound and pristine health". It is ironic that Macbeth cannot see that he is Scotland's disease.

Just some ideas :o

thank you very much.

i must've missed a day in 5th year when we were doing it cause i can't recall either of the quotes from Macbeth above. in my answers i always give the poor fella a hard time over his reaction to her death.

just some very good ideas.

Advertisement