Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divx? Good or Bad Idea to Download???

Options
  • 04-05-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Is Divx Good or Bad Idea to Download for getting programmes??? Cause my bro and myself have a 5.1 Phillips Home Cinema and a Phillips DVD recorder too and both take Divx stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Sorry, us I.T. guys have just embarked on a wildcat strike, no answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

HUH :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

he was being witty, seeing as your alias contains dublin bus which he was assuming you work for dublin bus, i'm guessing he's right, and was making a reference to your colleagues doing a wild cat strike.

divx isn't a program, it's an encoding technique used to get high quality video into a smallish file size.

this really isn't the place to ask about divx either so i reported the post so that a mod can move it where you may get more help

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Ah thanks and dublinbusdude is a website that I have on the web. I use dublinbusdude some of the internet forums and ebay too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This is nothing to do with programming.

divX is just a codec for video. It's popular for gadgets, pmps etc where you rip your own DVDs and re-encode them.

There is not much advantage for a Home Cinema DVD player unless you are using Torrents/File sharing to break copyright (civil offence in Ireland).

Civil offences can often have higher fines than criminal cases as the max penalty is not predetermined.

It's an offence to assist in copyright infringement and to obstruct investigations. No-one on the Internet is anonymous if there is a court order. Stick to downloading DVDs from play.com, HMV, Tesco and use divX if you have a portable media player or a media server you want to save all your DVD onto.

DivX isn't a download mechanism for Downloads. It's just what some downloads might be encoded with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

watty wrote: »
    There is not much advantage for a Home Cinema DVD player unless you are using Torrents/File sharing to break copyright (civil offence in Ireland).

I wish people would give up this mantra. It is an Codec for encoding video. Nothing more. There are a number of reasons you can use it, torrents only being one of them (not the main one).

Rest is just useless BS.

I mean download Virtual Dub and K-Lite codec pack and OMGZ HES A HAXOR.

Btw (to nitpick). "DIVX is also mechanism for getting legitimate movies. But the last I heard it died a horrible death many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hobbes wrote: »
    I wish people would give up this mantra. It is an Codec for encoding video. Nothing more. There are a number of reasons you can use it, torrents only being one of them (not the main one).

Rest is just useless BS.

As I said, so why misquote me?
    This is the more appropriate quote
    This is nothing to do with programming.

divX is just a codec for video. It's popular for gadgets, pmps etc where you rip your own DVDs and re-encode them.

I use it all the time for my Archos 605. There is not much reason to use it on a home DVD though now that DVD authoring is free. Much better to make a real DVD for your edited Home Movies.

DivX the Codec was deliberately named after the expiring DRM Disc format, DIVX which thankfully is dead, though Disney have tried to push degrading limited life DVDs.

Boards rules forbid posting warez links etc. So why the BS claim? I never suggested there was anything wrong with divX, but that there is an issue with "Download for getting programmes?" The OP is obviously wanting to download TV programs. The codec type is irrelevant. It's nothing to do with computer programming. Some broadcasters provide legitimate TV program streaming & downloads, you have to simply have what ever codec they have chosen.

There are loads of legitimate uses for codec packs and Virtual Dub. @Hobbes, your reaction is totally over the top. No-one accused you or anyone else of breaking copyright.

You might not like some Boards rules or Irish laws, but that does not make them BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 drim3r

You need PowerDVD

Advertisement