Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duxford Air Show

Options
  • 04-05-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I'm going over to see the Duxford Air Show this month. Does anyone know if there is some form of public transport from Duxford to Stanstead ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

There is a regular bus from Duxford to Cambridge, if you look up the Imperial War Museum Duxford site it gives you more details. From Cambridge you can get a National Express bus to Stansted Airport, takes about 50 mins.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm?id=175679084

Don't forget some pics;)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I was there two weeks ago. Got to see the spitfire practising its display twice. (just me and a handful of other people there so that was great) My god that thing sounds sweet! Great performance too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

As requested, I've attached some photos from the Duxford air show last Sunday. It was a fantastic show and the permanent displays are also well worth a visit. Two Spitfies MK 9's did a display which was one of my highlights. The B17 Memphis Belle also flew. The Typhoon Euro fighter was noisey and spectacular. A particular highlight for me was a flight I had in the front seat of a Tiger Moth. I took over 170 photos so this is a very small selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Mythago

How was the weather? Drove past at 7.30am & couldn't see 4 or 5 car lengths in front of me on the M11!

Lived near Duxford for 4 years and never got around to that airshow:rolleyes:

I stayed in a hotel in Cambridge city centre and when I left it on Sunday morning at 8:00AM, the roads were wet but the skies were clear at that stage so it was actually very pleasant. The weather at the event itself was changeable with bright sunshine and then cloudy with occasional rain. There was a breeze all day so the clouds were being blown over all day. During the gaps in the clouds it was nice and warm. As a result of the changable flying conditions, most of the display pilots did their "flat" displays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

You can get a train from Stansted to Cambridge , its the Birmingham train there is one every hour until around 21:30 hrs. Get off at the second stop,Cambridge. Takes about 30 mins.Cost last year £12. there is Also a bus by national express.
    Cambridge bus route Citi7 will take you to Duxford. it stops at the railway station and the bus station (meets up with national express services there), most of the city buses there do. There used to be a shuttle bus service laid on by Duxford from Cambridge to the show, dont know if it still operates.

As far as I know there isnt any direct public transport from stansted to Duxford.
    Allow plenty time to get to the show, the roads in the area get v busy when there is one on.
    If you intend staying over, Cambridge is probably the nearest place but beware accomodation is expensive there at any time and the B&Bs there can be of variable quality.

I lived there for a bit if you have any Q's I can try to help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

chughes wrote: »
    As requested, I've attached some photos from the Duxford air show last Sunday. It was a fantastic show and the permanent displays are also well worth a visit. Two Spitfies MK 9's did a display which was one of my highlights. The B17 Memphis Belle also flew. The Typhoon Euro fighter was noisey and spectacular. A particular highlight for me was a flight I had in the front seat of a Tiger Moth. I took over 170 photos so this is a very small selection.

Excellent shots chughes and congratulations on the Tiger Moth flight...it certainly made me smile when I flew in one last year, everyone should have a go! Real seat of pants flying.

Powerfarmer - I was over there last weekend but thanks for the info anyway. I actually got a return bus ticket from Stansted to Cambridge. On the Sunday there was a complimentary bus service from Cambridge train station to Duxford and back.
    Pclancy - Yes the flight in the Moth was terrific. I had once flown in a Katana before but being a modern plane, it was like being in a modern car. Having been an avid reader of Biggles in my younger days, the Moth was something else.
    Here's some more photos from the show.

Advertisement