Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting Bills

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi

Hope someone can help - Registered as I know you all give the best advice :)

Recently moved into a new apartment with another guy (Who repled to an ad placed on Daft that I had posted)

So - 2 Bed Apartment that we both newly moved into - Both names on the lease.

The thing is, his other half, is always over. I would say pretty much everyday and spends around 5 nights of the week here, at least.

When we moved in first he explained that it would be probably 2 nights a week and checked if this would be ok.

I have no problem with it at all really. We get on and everything is grand.

The bills came (Hurrah) the other day and the ESB for the month is about €120 and NTL is about €40.

While my housemate works, his partner is here a lot, stays over so is here during the day at times (as is living the student life) and I guess is watching TV, using electricity, showering etc. Also stays up later than my Housemate watching TV etc.

Before the bills came, maybe 3 weeks ago, my housemate said he would pay more of the bills because of this.

Now, no word about it.

How do you think the bills should be payed? - Anyone who I have asked has said equally 3 ways.

I really don't want to be funding someones life who has nothing to do with me.

Thanks for any feedback :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd be inclined to agree- an equal 3 way split seems fair. You will have to discuss it though. Be prepared to be flexible one way or the other- and keep in mind that if he does move out that his replacement may be a lot less likable than the current arrangement......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 New2Galway

Thanks. I did ask him this morning and he said she would give 20 for the ESB. So that would leave it at 100 - 50 each. A 10 euro reduction for me. I would think i should get the 20 reduction so that it be me paying 40 and them 80 however they want to sort it between them. Also the NTL i watch telly about 5 hours a week like. I would like the same arrangement with this. I know it would only save me about 5 but still. I have lived with a couple in the past but they moved in as a couple and were happy to split 3 ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

NTL is charged at a flat rate, not by how much you use like ESB so unless you never set eyes on the tv you should pay your equal share there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hi OP,

My opinion is that all bills should be split equally between the number of occupants in the property. Aside from the fact that it is quite impossible to measure whom used what units of electricity/heat, bills come in so often that you're heart will be broken dividing up the bills, arguing over who owes what...living with people can be stressful enough without contesting whats owed on bills.

I had a situation where a friend moved into a spare room I had, I said that all bills will be split equal, he ended up staying at his GF's most nights and sure to be sure kicked up a fuss when the ESB arrived...I was having none of it. I said that it is upto you to get your value for money out of the energy used.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    NTL is charged at a flat rate, not by how much you use like ESB so unless you never set eyes on the tv you should pay your equal share there.

I know - And that's fine. I was posting off my mobile earlier so may have come across different.

I'm happy paying my share of the bills - no problem whatsoever.

What I'm not happy about is funding someone else's lifestyle when they have nothing to do with me.

We all get on and that but I don't agree with a €120 ESB Bill being Split €50 / €50 / €20 or €60 / €60.

Considering the amout of time his partner spends in the apartment I think it should be split 3 ways.

Or €40 / €80 anyway and then he can decide how they should split that €80.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable??

Thanks again for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You've reached the stage where you have to define what is 'excessive' staying over of the girlfriend tbh. 5 nights a week- is defacto living there- but she is probably paying rent (and a share of bills etc) elsewhere. While I understand fully where you are coming from- it is not a reasonable expectation that you will get her to pay an equal share of the bill- unless she is actually living there. The small contribution is a token gesture on her part- and is welcome- but if you are looking for more than this- you really need to normalise her as a housemate.

Living with a couple is very different from a houseshare with another lad (or a group of people who are not romantically involved). If she is indeed there 5 nights a week- she is for all intensive purposes living there. Instead of getting upset over the ESB bill at this stage- I'd be sitting down with your official housemate, and requesting that either she cuts it down to 2 nights a week- or she moves in totally- and pays like everyone else.

smccarrick wrote: »
    5 nights a week- is defacto living there- but she is probably paying rent (and a share of bills etc) elsewhere. .

Nah, if she was then I might be more understanding but she is living at home with her parents 10 minutes away.

I know I need to talk to him re this and another thing that is annoying me and a lot who I have spoke to agree is the fact that when neither myself or himself is in the apartment she is there making herself at home, alone in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Deal with the flatmate not her. That way, he can do any deal he wants with the girlfriend without getting her back up.

Have a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603 and then decide a course of action. If you want to only pay 40%, demand you only pay 33% and then agree at 40%. Win-win.

If she's staying 5 ngihts, I'd be looking for rent aswell. :)

Advertisement